China's military buildup raises concerns in US

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by freeandfun1, May 19, 2004.

1. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
  2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    well, that could explain the urgency the bush administration has for leaving the middle east.....

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    But is doesn't explain why we would be pulling troops out of Korea. Well, that is, unless we are really putting them in reserve for an expected conflict with China instead of the proclamation that they are being sent to the ME......

China's economy is very close to crashing. The gaining strength of the dollar, combined with corruption within the Chinese gov't is pushing China to the edge. Prices on such commodities as steel have been being sucked up by China and it has caused the prices to sky-rocket. Steel alone has gone from $50 a ton a year ago to about $200 + a ton today all because of China.

If the Chinese economy turns south, expect them to do something drastic.......

JMHO!

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    that would also account for the heavy push to make china use a fluctuating currency.

what it doesnt take into consideration is that china's labor market will allow for easy offshoring as well and that adds to their revenue

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'll say it again. Our troops in NK are only a symbolic deterrent and will only be cannon fodder IF NK attacks. If out troops are not there, they are out of harms way for a nuclear counter-attack. Foreigners know how much America values the life of an individual even though the left will point out the exceptions to that claim. You think NK really thinks it will be a cakewalk?? NK is merely a wasteland buffer between them and the "enemy"

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, but the Chinese really do see themselves as being somewhat "superior" so offshoring would mean working for others and I am not sure that in the long run, that is acceptable to the Chinese as a whole.

I travel to Southeast Asia a lot. I recall a conversation I had with some Chinese Malaysians once when we were in a bar right after the spy-plane incident.

They were all upset and saying how it was a travesty (our spying on China), blah, blah, blah.

When I asked them, why do you care, you are Malaysian not Chinese. They all replied, "if China were to go to war tomorrow, I would fight for China". I asked why and they said, "we speak the same language, we are from the same roots and frankly, we are Chinese. We are only here for the money."

Now, this was from Chinese Malaysians whose families had lived in Malaysia for 3 to 4 generations, that carried Malaysian passports and whom HAD NEVER been to China!

7. Gop guy

Gop guy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. CHINA IS COMMUNIST. ONE OF THE ULTIMATE EVILS ON THIS PANET, WE SHOULD HAVE NO RELATIONS WITH THEM AT ALL AND WE WOULDN'T IF WE DIDN'T DESPERATELY NEED THIER CHEAP LABOR.

2. We promised Taiwan we would be there for them. If those bastards think that we will leave them to be destroyed, THEY HAVE ANOTHER THING COMING.

3. WE MUST DO WHATEVER IS NECESSARY TO PROTECT TAIWAN.

4. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK CHINA WILL STOP AT TAIWAN????

8. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    so when are you grabbing a rifle and standing a post?

9. Gop guy

Gop guy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever they need me.:mad:

10. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    as long as you're willing to back up the wind with action. ;)