China’s ‘artificial sun’ breaks record, marking latest milestone in quest for efficient thermonuclear fusion reactors

Jessica-stormlover

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2021
China’s ‘artificial sun’ breaks record, marking latest milestone in quest for efficient thermonuclear fusion reactors
The Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak generates and sustains plasma for nearly seven minutes – four times as long as its previous record
It uses powerful magnetic fields to confine super-hot plasma, forcing hydrogen to combine into heavier atoms and releasing energy in the process

China’s “artificial sun” set a world record on Wednesday night by generating and maintaining extremely hot, highly confined plasma for nearly seven minutes.

The Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) in the city of Hefei in eastern China generated and sustained plasma for 403 seconds, breaking its previous record of 101 seconds in 2017 and marking another key step towards building high-efficiency, low-cost thermonuclear fusion reactors.

“The main significance of this new breakthrough lies in its ‘high-confinement mode’, under which the temperature and density of the plasma increase significantly,” said Song Yuntao, director of the Institute of Plasma Physics under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, which built EAST.

I think China will probably have the first functioning fusion reactor.

Oh wow, a prototype that went for a whole 7 minutes.

The problem that these articles barely mention or completely ignore is that way more energy is going into these systems than the output.

Forum List

Back