China surpasses US in 2009 auto sales

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack

Jan 8, 8:37 AM (ET)

By JOE McDONALD

BEIJING (AP) - China overtook the United States as the biggest auto market in 2009 and automakers should see more strong growth this year, an industry group reported Friday.

Boosted by Beijing's stimulus, 2009 passenger car sales soared to 10.3 million and total vehicle sales are estimated at 13.6 million, the China Passenger Car Association said. That represents growth of about 45 percent from 2008.

"This is even better than anyone expected," the group's general secretary, Rao Da, said at a news conference in Shanghai.

By contrast, U.S. sales of cars and light trucks plunged 21 percent in 2009 to 10.4 million as a shaky economy kept buyers away from showrooms. It was the first time any country bought more cars than Americans.
My Way News - China surpasses US in 2009 auto sales

At the current rate that we are borrowing money from China, unless we start to pay it back real soon, I'd say in another couple of years China will own America.

2009: not coincidentally is the year Obama took control of most of the US auto industry

Hummer? That is a small Weiner machine. I would not be caught dead in one.

But since Chinese tend to have small weiners I can see why they bought hummer.

Now don't I wish you were correct, H. But you are not. The Chinese are currently upgrading a hybrid that they are already selling in China to sell here in the US. About the size of Toyota Camry, goes 60 miles on a single charge, it is a plug in, and another 250 miles on the gas in the tank. They state that they expect the battery to be good for about 300,000 miles. Their target price is $23,000.

And they have an all electric that they claim will do 250 miles per charge, and will sell for about $40,000.GM is Weeping: BYD F3DM Plug-in Hybrid Goes On Sale in China, 3 Years Before Volt : TreeHugger

BYD says the F3DM has a range of 100 km (62 miles) on battery power alone with a top speed of 160 kph (99 mph). The 330V, 40 Ah Li-ion pack has life of more than 2,000 cycles, according to BYD Auto. On a household 220V power supply, a full recharge takes 8 to 9 hours.
The DM powertrain incorporates BYD’s own 50 kW 3-cylinder, 1.0-liter BYD371QA aluminum engine, and has a combined maximum output of 125 kW.

BYD also says that the battery pack can achieve a 50% recharge in 10 minutes, though that might require more juice than a typical house power outlet can dish out. Still, this could mean that fast-recharge power stations could be a possibility.

Plug-in Hybrid Powertrain Flexibility
One interesting feature of the drivetrain is its flexibility. It actually has three modes of operation:

Full battery-powered electric mode
Series-hybrid mode, in which an engine drives a generator to recharge the batteries, acting as a range-extender like in the Chevy Volt
Parallel hybrid mode, in which the engine and motor both provide propulsive power, like in the Toyota Prius

Now don't I wish you were correct, H. But you are not. The Chinese are currently upgrading a hybrid that they are already selling in China to sell here in the US. About the size of Toyota Camry, goes 60 miles on a single charge, it is a plug in, and another 250 miles on the gas in the tank. They state that they expect the battery to be good for about 300,000 miles. Their target price is $23,000.

So he is correct then.

The masses in China generally couldn't afford the car if it was brought up to United States legal standards.

So he is correct then.
The masses in China generally couldn't afford the car if it was brought up to United States legal standards.
Correct. Chinese cars have the worst crash safety rating in the world.

So he is correct then.
Correct. Chinese cars have the worst crash safety rating in the world.

Also, the average wage in China is roughly about $5,000 per year in the urban area's of the country.

It would be the equivalent of a $50,000 a year worker in the US purchasing a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

By contrast, U.S. sales of cars and light trucks plunged 21 percent in 2009 to 10.4 million as a shaky economy kept buyers away from showrooms. It was the first time any country bought more cars than Americans.
My Way News - China surpasses US in 2009 auto sales

This is why the maquilladoras in Mexico have been moving to China: Not only because of lower labor costs, but primarily because the demand for manufactured auto parts has shifted away from the USA.

At the current rate that we are borrowing money from China, unless we start to pay it back real soon, I'd say in another couple of years China will own America.
Contrary to your opinion, China is not buying an increasing share of US debt. The Fed is buying most of the debt, and we effectively do not pay interest to the Fed.

Forum List

Back