China Intends to Ignore Key Element of UNSC Resolution on NK

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Oct 15, 2006.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I would have bet the farm that this would happen. China says it intends to ignore the key aspect of the UNSC resolution designed to control the criminal regime in NK. The most important part of the UNSC resolution specifies that cargo bound for NK must be inspected for materials that could be used for making additional nukes and missiles, and that NK export cargo must be inspected for finished weapons. China and Russia had earlier this week succeeded in stripping the resolution of UN Chapter 7 authority, where participating nations could use military force, if necessary, to inspect NK import and export cargo. Now, according to the news story below, China says it intends to completely ignore the aspect of the UNSC resolution that calls for inspections, even though Beijing voted for the UNSC sanctions. Since almost all cargo to and from NK moves by land across the China-NK border, Beijing's failure to inspect NK cargo will make the most important aspect of the UNSC resolution meaningless. This toothless UNSC outcome should surprise no student of the NE Asian political and military struggle for power between Beijing and Washington. As pointed out in other posts on this board, NK seeks a security guarantee from America. Every US administration since the Korean armistice has rightly refused. NK has, with China’s acquiescence, developed nukes as a substitute for a security guarantee from America. China has succeeded in getting everything it wanted from the NK nuke detonation: the reunification of Korea has been pushed far into the future; it obtains excellent world media PR because it voted for the UNSC resolution; and NK, the Chinese proxy in the NE Asian power struggle with America, remains dependent, weak, and armed to the teeth.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with the sanctions being toothless is China and SK will not enforce. From what I gathered from reading and Sunday programs, it seems many think NK will conduct a second test or more missiles, then China may feel compelled to 'come on board', for now getting them just to go along with the unanimous vote was a 'win.' Personally I think this the height of cynacism, but heh I doubt I'd make it as a diplomat. ;)

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I do not understand how a toothless UNSC resolution is anything but a face saving publicity stunt that gives political cover to those nations, i.e., China and Russia, that seek to maintain the fractured status quo on the Korean Peninsula. China’s rational for supporting NK will not change after a second nuke test. It will still be calling for talks with its NK proxy in an attempt to extort a US security guarantee for the outlaw regime. The NK nuke problem will not resolve favorably until China uses it economic leverage to change Pyongyang’s behavior. If America is going to eliminate NK nukes, then it must ultimately place pressure in the correct place: Beijing. America has the economic leverage do this, but currently we do not have the political determination for the job.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I do not disagree, it really is China's problem, with a readily available solution. Problem is, they don't want the probable repercussions of those solutions. As for the US, I think we have what we need to help Japan, as for SK, I think we've done enough. I'd like to get our 30k troops out of there.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    But this is precisely what China, NK, and the political left in SK, are trying to achieve. Our departure from SK will dramatically reduce the security of both Seoul and Tokyo, while simultaneously ensuring the virtual impossibility of a democratic reunified Korea. While it would be helpful to mitigate our involvement with more direct military support from Japan, and Tokyo under PM Abe would probably be willing, SK would never allow it. Especially under nuclear pressure from China’s NK proxy, America’s departure from SK before Korean reunification would mean that Beijing defeated the US in the 50 year struggle for political, economic, and military, primacy in NE Asia.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    We've been bucking up Japanese defenses for a few years now, http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/kongo.htm

My guess, it will speed up, with Japan rewriting their constitution.

http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=21420

http://washingtontimes.com/commentary/20061009-094038-6884r.htm

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=050000&biid=2006101167238

As for SK, unless we start getting some apologies for the past 20 years, get our guys out of DMZ.

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Again, I agree that China is not helping the situation in a way meaningful to the situation-they are trying to buy time. Not only that, while currently 'working' with them, it could well be analogous to working with Soviets in WWII. Needless to say, there is no love loss between Japan and China either.

At least during the war, the Soviets were committed; if only Chiang Kai-shek had been the same in China, what a different scenario we might be facing today?

9. USMCDevilDog

USMCDevilDog Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42

Is Japan really rewriting it's constitution? I wouldn't be surprised and honestly, I want them to.

10. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Come on people, we couldn't have set up a better platform for China.

They will act "the fool", until someone calls them on it. Will it be us, I doubt it.

Will Japan, or maybe even one of our best allies, Australia, call their bluff? Again, not likely.

Until a "dirty" bomb is set off in their backyard, China will do nothing. The stakes are high, and the players are many, and very powerful, but we must stay the course.

This WILL turn in our favor, these idiot nations are their own worst enemy's.

China is on a "roll", they have NEVER seen the kind of economic growth, that they are going through right now, can't say as I blame them, for wanting to walk softly, but once they are CROSSED, Katie bar the door, they'll be hell to pay.

I can hardly wait....:fifty: