childhood

Cleaning an engine for my dad ... was suppose to be punishment (my brother thought it was) but I actually enjoyed the puzzle. I think my dad knew that I was enjoying it, because after he made us clean the bathroom .. blech. But at the end of the day, my dad took us to dinner. It was the first time I saw him as a human being instead of just the "provider".

what were some of your best childhood memories?

As I grow older, I do think about my childhood quite often. Because I work with youth, I see many of my experiences lived out in the lives of these young people.

All of my connections to my childhood (relatives) are gone now. Memories is all I have. I am blessed to have several items that I got while I was a child. I often think about the fact that I am that person who was 4 years old, and playing with the train my Dad made for me for Christmas. I am the same person who walked the halls of elementary school with friends who have now gotten older. I see through the same eyes, hold things with the same hands, and walk on the same feet. The eyes, the hands, and the feet loos a little different now, and their strength is failing, however, they are my living connection to the lively days of my youth.

I have an envelope that holds the golden curls from my first haircut. The only pair of cuff links I wear I got at age 14, and are buffilo nickels. My train is not 58 years old, and I show it to our youth every year at Christmas. Still have my coin collection from when I was about 9 years old. I still have and use the bowling ball and shoes that I got at age 16. They are now 46 years old, (the bowling bag fell apart last year). Had to have the thumb hole drilled one time since I got it. It can still knock all the pins down.

The greatest memories are family and events together, our trips across America, and camping with my Dad. Washing dishes, and arguing with my brother and sister, or trying to bring peace between them, homework, and yard football games flash through my mind often. I have a hero Dad, and I miss him.

I have eight grand kids to share my memories with, and hopefully I will do it right. I am way blessed, past, present, and the future looks good.

Hope I did not bore anyone.

Last edited:
In fact, my fondest memories of growing up including begging my mom or grandma for stories of "olden times". Mom would share stories of her childhood, and grandma would share stories of hers.

My grandma was 40 when my mom was born, my mom 30 when I was born...grandma was born in 1894, my mom in 1934, and they lived in the coastal hills most of their lives. Their stories were the stories of pioneers...my mom drove a team of horses to clear and plow the garden plot when she was a VERY young girl. My grandfather spent 6 months in prison during prohibition for having a still on his land...during which time my grandmother supported the family selling milk, butter and eggs to the "local" store...about 15 miles away (no car, and impassable road during the winter).

And my kids love hearing stories of MY childhood, which always tickles me because it's so different than the stories I heard...but kids still love them.

Also scary stories of flu epidemics, ppl dying hideous deaths miles from nowhere...those stories were always cool, too.

visiting my grandma in Idaho and playing on her front porch.
Going to Expo 86 twice with the family.
and going on a trip with just my dad and I to spokane to see the new house we were going to move into.

I was able to ride almost every day, all year long, while living in Los Alamos, NM, at 7500 feet elevation, higher than Santa Fe, in the most beautiful country in the world. Every weekend I rode with my mother. We belonged to the Sheriff's Posse and went on wonderful (LONG) trail rides with them as well.

Forum List

Back