Child shoots intruder during home break-in

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shogun, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital, where they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Child shoots intruder during home break-in - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

2. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,654
    shot him in the lip....good shot kid....hope he shot it off

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    I believe LA is one of those States that has laws on the book about keeping weapons out of the hands of children. If they do, wanna bet we do not hear about the mother being arrested cause her 10 year old son saved himself and his sister with her hand gun?

4. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Good for that kid.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2::clap2:

5. Centrism'sVoice

Centrism'sVoice Seceded from USMB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    In which case she'll get a slap on the wrist. Which would be totally appropriate.

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    I concur. They won't break into that house again.

Kinda gives a new meaning to 'IN YOUR FACE, BITCH!'

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Ditto.

8. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    If this had happened in a liberal State, Social Services would have removed the kids from their mom permanently, the mother would be charged with child endangerment and given 5 years in prison, and the criminals would sue the mother and the State for damages and win.

9. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    As I'm glad the child knew what to do and in fact did it, I must question the mother leaving a 10 year old and a 8 year old at home alone. Frankly that is not responsible parenting and neither is leaving a loaded firearm within access to them.

In this case it worked out for the best, in regard to the firearm, but, more times than not, it is a recipe for disaster.

All my children began shooting at the age of 10, but, they never had their own access to the firearms. My son who is 12 and can more than handle most weapons does not have access, with the exception of his BB and Pellet weapons.