Child killer's delayed execution means agony for family

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
STARKE, Florida (CNN) -- The call. He expected it. Dreaded it. But he didn't hesitate to answer.

When Junny Rios-Martinez's cell phone rang Thursday afternoon, he and his wife were in their car, getting the family together on their way to witness the execution of their son's killer scheduled for that night.

"It was a woman from the governor's office. She told me there was a stay."

"I told her thank you, that I was disappointed, but not terribly surprised."

Mark Dean Schwab, 38, won a stay from the Supreme Court hours before he was scheduled to be put to death.

When Rios-Martinez hung up, no one said a word.

"There was a silence in the car that lasted several minutes. Everyone knew by the tone of my voice what happened," Rios-Martinez said.

Junny and Vicki Rios-Martinez had been waiting for more than 16 years to see their son's killer executed. Now, they'll have to wait even longer.

The Supreme Court is reviewing whether executions by injection violate the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. At issue is whether the drug mix used in more than 35 states can cause pain that can't be detected.

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/16/deathrow.family/index.html

One can only HOPE that it DOES cause pain and remains undetected.

There is no requirement that when the State kills someone there be no pain. None what so ever. The only restriction is against cruel or unusual punishment.

It is neither cruel nor unusual to put someone to sleep before killing them. Nor is it cruel or unusual if in the process the convicted 'might" suffer some pain. Further since the jury is out on whether or not there is even any real pain suffered this further negates the cruel and or unusual argument.

Lets assume for a moment that some pain is felt by the condemned, just to simplify the argument. Is the pain intentionally inflicted for pains sake alone? Is there a means around the potential pain?

Answer to the first question is NO. Answer to second question is murkier, the medical establishment has barred licensed medical personnel from administering cocktails designed to end a persons life. Oh but they do not mind euthanising old people or infirm people. Nor do they mind murdering in the most barbaric means possible unborn or partially born children.

Cruel punishment is generally considered to have as a component intent. Granted not always but generally that is a requirement. The cocktail is NOT designed to cause pain. It is in fact designed to avoid any major pain.

Unusual Punishment is not even a consideration.

Lets just return to hanging them Simple, straight forward and direct.

yea.., this is an area where me and my fellows part ways. If lethal injection is too painful for state execution then let's find a way to kill a person with feathers and candy. My first opinion is that murderers get killed in the exact same fashion as how they killed their victims. My second opinion is to bring back the guilloteen and electric chair before we say fuck it and start hanging people again. Being put down like a dog is a whole lot nicer than having your neck stretched. Clearly, these things feed the anti-death penalty crowd but it's a total fucking farce to claim lethal injection is cruel or unusual.

GC.jpg

George Carlin: It's ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths! In prisons, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol!
[Laughter and applause]
George Carlin: It's true! It's true. It's true! Well, they don't want you to get an infection! And you can see their point: wouldn't want some guy to go to Hell *and* be sick! It would a lot of the sportsmanship out of the whole execution.

Oh, and such a Christian attitude that ------Prevention?, or just out and out revenge????

Neither. It's all about the reckoning. Where's the concern for the manner in which his victim died? Repeatedly raped then suffocated/strangled. I've got about as much mercy in me for an animal like that as I do a rabid dog.

Neither. It's all about the reckoning. Where's the concern for the manner in which his victim died? Repeatedly raped then suffocated/strangled. I've got about as much mercy in me for an animal like that as I do a rabid dog.

Me, too - less, in fact. The dog is a victim of rotten luck; he's still got to go, though - he is a clear and present danger. Yet, we're supposed to pity a thinking, reasoning human being who CONSCIOUSLY CHOSE to destroy life in the furtherance of his own gratification? Screw that - society has a responsibility to protect itself.

One can only HOPE that it DOES cause pain and remains undetected.

You do realise that one in five death row inmates are later found innocent, right?

Look, the death penalty just isnt worth it. Millions of dollars in appeals courts, just to off some innocent person (20 percent of the time).

F*ck that. I say put them in jail for life. Isnt that painful enough?? Send them some slippery soap.

Killing them wont bring anyone back from the dead, and two wrongs, in this case, especially, dont make a right.

I disagree. The Death Penalty is worth it. 20 years of repeal is unnecessary in many murder cases where guilt is clear. No, life on the tax payer dime is not painful enough.

In this case I would hang these men within a week of their criminal trial.

Stepfather Charged In Death Of Mo. Girl
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/10/national/main3484898.shtml?source=mostpop_story

When people die, it is easy to point fingers at whomever the most likely suspect is, usually a man.

YOU have to be fair, and remember that a person in this country is INNOCENT *UNTIL PROVEN* GUILTY in a court of law.

Lynching is also illegal, so I am sprry but that is entirely out of the question. Everyone deserves a fair trial. Even you, if you were accused of a crime. If the media and everyone was pointing their fingers at you as a murderer, when you didnt do it, how would you like it if they gave you one week to live?
Thats just a bunch of hateful bullcrap if you asked me.

I assure you that this isn't a matter of merely pointing angry fingers.

and when they are proven guilty in a court of law they should be taken out back and shot in the head. I see no reason to pretend that life in prison at the expense of the state is a greater punishment for this type of horrendous crime than the death penalty. He would be lucky that his death was not similar to that of his victims death.

I didn't mean to imply that they should not get their day in court... By all means...

but they should die for what they did to that little girl.

You do realise that one in five death row inmates are later found innocent, right?

Look, the death penalty just isnt worth it. Millions of dollars in appeals courts, just to off some innocent person (20 percent of the time).

F*ck that. I say put them in jail for life. Isnt that painful enough?? Send them some slippery soap.

Killing them wont bring anyone back from the dead, and two wrongs, in this case, especially, dont make a right.

Unproven garbage, there have been few if any PROVEN to be innocent. I listed the few that have been exonerated before being executed in another thread. Further you can not list a single person actually executed later found innocent.
Put up or shut up.

Take a life, lose your life, seems reasonable to me. And if you die in a little pain, so what?

it all depends on what is deemed to be "cruel and unusual", doesn't it?

and that is another one of those situations where your opinion on the subject is worth less than a bucket of warm spit. If the five of the nine supremes say that it IS, then it is - regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

THere are no guarantees anywhere that any one of us will die easily or well, regardless of what death we "deserve".

I didn't want the stupid lethal injection b.s. in the first place. I think electric chairs are idiotic, as is gassing. All these are torture devices thought up by people who were concerned the current method of dispatching criminals was too inhumane.

Shoot them or hang them. Doesn't matter. It sucks any way you cut it. Good people die or are killed in gruesome ways every day. Christ, who by all accounts was at the very least, a good man, was crucified. Good people die in fiery car wrecks, plane wrecks, logging accidents, by animal mauling....dead is dead.

and that is another one of those situations where your opinion on the subject is worth less than a bucket of warm spit. If the five of the nine supremes say that it IS, then it is - regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

I have tried - without success - to understand your giddy delight at the prospect of being rendered helpless before the throbbing tumescence of Supreme Court justices. It's undignified, man. Abject, toadying awe before authority is not in the American character.

I have tried - without success - to understand your giddy delight at the prospect of being rendered helpless before the throbbing tumescence of Supreme Court justices. It's undignified, man. Abject, toadying awe before authority is not in the American character.

nowhere have I ever expressed giddiness about the power of the supreme court. I will admit to being relatively comfortable about the fact that our system of checks and balances works, even if it doesn't always work in ways that I would prefer. Similarly, I am OK with the filibuster rules in the Senate, even though they stymie the will of the majority in many cases... hardly "toadying".... more like appreciating the wonderfully delicate balance that our founding father's designed for us.

You're right ... fuck THAT. One appeal and you're done.

And no, I don't see allowing vermin such as this to exist at my expense for countless years preferable to his paying the ultimate price for being the lowest form of scumbag.

I will also point out that your argument in this specific case is irrelevant since there is little-to-no doubt as to his guilt. I have NO problem with a bullet to the head after he digs his own grave and is standing in it when there's no doubt in regard to guilt.

it all depends on what is deemed to be "cruel and unusual", doesn't it?

This forum is for expressing opinions. His as well as yours. You do not have to respect the other's opinion, but we should ALL respect their right to have it and express it.

yea.., this is an area where me and my fellows part ways. If lethal injection is too painful for state execution then let's find a way to kill a person with feathers and candy. My first opinion is that murderers get killed in the exact same fashion as how they killed their victims. My second opinion is to bring back the guilloteen and electric chair before we say fuck it and start hanging people again. Being put down like a dog is a whole lot nicer than having your neck stretched. Clearly, these things feed the anti-death penalty crowd but it's a total fucking farce to claim lethal injection is cruel or unusual.

GC.jpg

George Carlin: It's ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths! In prisons, before they give you a lethal injection, they swab your arm with alcohol!
[Laughter and applause]
George Carlin: It's true! It's true. It's true! Well, they don't want you to get an infection! And you can see their point: wouldn't want some guy to go to Hell *and* be sick! It would a lot of the sportsmanship out of the whole execution.

There are other great ways of execution too. Did you know they used to boil people to death as a form of execution. I agree that any form of execution should be allowed. have these liberals thought of the pain and suffering of the victims or their families??? I say let them have the most horrible death available thats their PUNISHMENT!!!!

Liberals??? lol...

Ummmmm... the Constitution says no "cruel and inhuman treatment". I thought the right were all such briliant Constitutionalists; literalists every one of you. :lol:

Forum List

Back