Chicago's teachers strike

A direct quote from the article:

“Our school communities are desperately short of nurses, social workers, psychologists, counselors and other support staff, even as our students struggle with high levels of trauma driven by poverty and neighborhood violence,” CTU President Jesse Sharkey said. “This vote represents a true mandate for change.”

So the union, all Democrats, are trying to blame what and who for all this poverty and violence? This makes no sense whatsoever.

I got a Masters degree in Education from a different state that pays way less than what Chicago teachers make. I would go on interviews and starting salary was 45k year with benefits and a pension. Chicago teachers I know that retired were making like 80k+ year when they taught in the Chicago schools with excellent benefits and they get one of the best pensions. A guy I know even bragged how much his pension from the Chicago Public Schools paid him.

I never landed a teaching job instead worked as a truck driver for a few years and low wage jobs. Now I make 48k year working in social services with benefits, but I dont get a nice cushy pension like teachers get. I wish I was a teacher, especially a Chicago Public School teacher, I would get way more money in a lifetime and I would'nt work over summer yet be making more money.

So I don't feel sorry at all for the Chicago Public School teachers striking claiming they don't make enough money.

Forum List

Back