Chicago Teachers Union Says It’s Been Given an Ultimatum

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
Chicago Teachers Union Says It’s Been Given an Ultimatum

The Chicago teachers’ strike will stretch into a third day Wednesday after negotiators failed to reach a deal yet again this evening.

After another long day of talks, David Vitale, the president of the Chicago Board of Education, told reporters that his side had presented the teachers’ union with an updated proposal tonight and he would not return to the negotiating table until the teachers responded with a written proposal of their own.

“It is time for us to get serious,” Vitale said.

While Vitale said the two sides had reached agreements on various issues, a key sticking point remained a new system for teacher evaluations.

Chicago Teachers Union Says It’s Been Given an Ultimatum - ABC News

The pro union president, who once said, "I will walk with you on the picket line..." remains silent on the Chicago strike as the now goes into its third day. It sounds like the teachers still don't want to be evaluated on the children's performances, just by showing up.

The longer this goes on, the worse it gets for Obama. I'm thinking the word will come down to them to STFU and take the deal on the table.

The longer this goes on, the worse it gets for Obama. I'm thinking the word will come down to them to STFU and take the deal on the table.

For the Union to take the deal?

Yeah, Obama doesn't need this to be in the news, the union doesn't look good in this dispute and that rubs off on him a little bit. The union apparently hasn't made a counter proposal, kinda typical of the left.

Yeah, Obama doesn't need this to be in the news, the union doesn't look good in this dispute and that rubs off on him a little bit. The union apparently hasn't made a counter proposal, kinda typical of the left.

The union doesn't want to fix a thing as it isn't about what's best for the students. :mad:

The union doesn't want to fix a thing as it isn't about what's best for the students. :mad:

So what were the teacher's demands? More money, less impartial critiquing of their performance and more art. Which means "off" time for teachers. No where in all of this did they have the children's needs in their proposals... What does that tell you about unions?

Nearly 80% of Chicago students don't meet the standards. These teachers have failed their students.

I lived in Chicago for 15 years. These teachers have almost zero chance of success. I really don't know what the answer is, but firing them because their students underperform won't change anything. New teachers that replace fired teachers will have the same problems.

The first problem that the schools have going against them is that any kid that comes from a family who can afford to sends their kid to private school. The only kids in CPS are those from families who are most likely on welfare. Secondly, the attendance rates are abysmal. This is not the teacher's fault when half of their students don't show up to class. If kids miss too much school, they will never learn anything.

When people compare the success of students who are in private schools, especially in Chicago, to those in the public schools, it's just an unfair comparison because those kids in the public schools have next to no support from their parents at home. Again, I'm not sure what the answer is, but these teachers are in a no win situation. The worst thing is that most of them actually do want their students to be successful.

Nearly 80% of Chicago students don't meet the standards. These teachers have failed their students.

I lived in Chicago for 15 years. These teachers have almost zero chance of success. I really don't know what the answer is, but firing them because their students underperform won't change anything. New teachers that replace fired teachers will have the same problems.

The first problem that the schools have going against them is that any kid that comes from a family who can afford to sends their kid to private school. The only kids in CPS are those from families who are most likely on welfare. Secondly, the attendance rates are abysmal. This is not the teacher's fault when half of their students don't show up to class. If kids miss too much school, they will never learn anything.

When people compare the success of students who are in private schools, especially in Chicago, to those in the public schools, it's just an unfair comparison because those kids in the public schools have next to no support from their parents at home. Again, I'm not sure what the answer is, but these teachers are in a no win situation. The worst thing is that most of them actually do want their students to be successful.

Well put and this is exactly what the right wing shitheads don't understand, nor care too. They would rather just troll with their programmed talking points like the good sheep they are.

Success starts in the elementary school. You cannot pass students on when they haven't mastered the core subjects. If every student would have a 6th grade reading and math level by the time they left elementary school, the absences would not be as high in middle and high school if standards are kept up.

It's unfair to say that poor parents don't want their children to do well in school. Some parents may be handicapped in helping at home, but they are open to suggestions on seeing that appropriate homework is done. And they will support the teachers with consequences.

They should Reaganize them...:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paF5tEaqcVQ]Air Traffic Controllers Reagan "striking workers will be terminated", TSA Federal - YouTube[/ame]

Lot's of young teachers out there need jobs, get rid of the old liberal wood...

Forum List

Back