Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

Well apparently they have some kind of battery ''preconditioning button,'' per that original report.

''Bilek said all EVs can have problems dealing with extreme cold, and drivers need to hit their preconditioning button before they charge their battery.

"It’s not plug and go. You have to precondition the battery, meaning that you have to get the battery up to the optimal temperature to accept a fast charge," said Bilek.''

Bilek being a representative of the Chicago Auto Trade Association.

If I had one of these, which I won't, but if I did, I'd install a charger in my garage.

I wouldn't allow an EV in my garage. They tend to start on fire

Well, I suppose this was predictable and really shouldn't come as any sort of surprise. That so many state governments are trying to mandate the exclusive sale of these things really does speak for the lack of ability of their leadership to foresee foregone conclusions like this and ultimately in other areas of governance.

Anyway...

Tesla.jpg

Someone pushes a Tesla at a Chicago-area vehicle charging station where many of the electric vehicles have been forced to sit amid freezing temperatures. Many of the vehicles failed to charge at stations around Chicago amid the cold weather. (WFLD / Fox News)

''Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard and several other Tesla owners were trying to charge their cars amid long lines and abandoned cars at other Tesla charging stations in the Chicago area, the news station reported.

"This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously," said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle. Mizelle said she abandoned her car and got a ride from a friend after hers would not charge.

"We got a bunch of dead robots out here," one man said.''

Continued - Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

The original FOX32 Chicago report - Tesla supercharging station packed in Oak Brook, dead cars line parking lot due to frigid temps

''Sumlak was forced to hire a flatbed tow truck to try to find a working charging station.''

Yes the battery pack has a sensor in it to protect it from a large Delta temp factor in the charging process. Under a certain temperature it will shut down the charging process completely to prevent destroying the battery pack. This is a dirty little secret that most people don't know about electric cars. It has happened to me on several occasions in the extreme cold where my charging speed is purposely reduced by the cars computer down to almost nothing.

Well, I suppose this was predictable and really shouldn't come as any sort of surprise. That so many state governments are trying to mandate the exclusive sale of these things really does speak for the lack of ability of their leadership to foresee foregone conclusions like this and ultimately in other areas of governance.

Anyway...

Tesla.jpg

Someone pushes a Tesla at a Chicago-area vehicle charging station where many of the electric vehicles have been forced to sit amid freezing temperatures. Many of the vehicles failed to charge at stations around Chicago amid the cold weather. (WFLD / Fox News)

''Charging stations have essentially turned into car graveyards in recent days as temperatures have dropped to the negative double digits, Fox Chicago reported.

"Nothing. No juice. Still on zero percent," Tyler Beard, who had been trying to recharge his Tesla at an Oak Brook, Illinois Tesla supercharging station since Sunday afternoon, told the news outlet. "And this is like three hours being out here after being out here three hours yesterday."

Beard and several other Tesla owners were trying to charge their cars amid long lines and abandoned cars at other Tesla charging stations in the Chicago area, the news station reported.

"This is crazy. It’s a disaster. Seriously," said Tesla owner Chalis Mizelle. Mizelle said she abandoned her car and got a ride from a friend after hers would not charge.

Continued - Chicago-area Tesla charging stations lined with dead cars in freezing cold: 'A bunch of dead robots out here'

The original FOX32 Chicago report - Tesla supercharging station packed in Oak Brook, dead cars line parking lot due to frigid temps

''Sumlak was forced to hire a flatbed tow truck to try to find a working charging station.''

But but but, this is our future.

Anyway...

Tesla.jpg

Fear not. The weather will eventually warm up and the cars will explode.

Batteries don’t like cold.
You must use your battery to heat to stay alive.
Charging stations are far and few.

Trifecta!

A day late and a dollar short, had already posted this yesterday...I put it in the Flame Zone because i like taunting the Marxists/Demofascists with their insane ideas of renewable energies which right now, aren very much....

I suggest that EV owners check to see if it’s too cold to charge their battery by putting their tongue on the outside door handle and hold it there for 20 seconds. If they can’t get it off and have to call 911, then it’s too cold.

I had no buyer's remorse when my 5.7 Tundra fired right up at -10 this morning or when the heated seats warmed my ass within 30 seconds or when it takes all of 5 minutes to refill the tank...
Unlike our freezing EV brothers.

Someone has to revolutionize the battery and bring price down to gas powered cost before EVs can sell like hot cakes.

Forum List

Back