Census Bureau defends 'negro' addition

We need a new BILL to be submitted to Congress to outlaw this damn Politically Correct BS.
The word Negro is not a problem for anyone that I know, but those looking for an argument. It is not derogatory in any way shape or fashion.

This PC garbage has got to stop. It's only function is to call things what the ARE NOT. Like I've said previously, it's the grammatical function of sticking our heads in the sand. I for one am tired of candy-coated names and descriptions of people, places and events making them sound or appear 'non-volatile' to some.

It's amazing, if we humans were on another planet, one where lifeforms was totally different, and we ran across another human being regardless of color, sex, beliefs, Et al, we'd be welcoming each other like lost friends or family, giving zero thought to anything else.
Too bad it cannot occur here.

I grew up in a time when the polite term was "negro" or "colored". To call them black was considered offensive.
In the late 60's the "Black is beautiful" movement switched things so that "black" was the correct term and "negro' or "colored" was offensive

Since that time there have been various attempts to change to:
Person of color (but not colored person)
Afro-American
African-American

The political correctness seems to change with the wind. Can't we just pick one term and stick with it?

I grew up in a time when the polite term was "negro" or "colored". To call them black was considered offensive.
In the late 60's the "Black is beautiful" movement switched things so that "black" was the correct term and "negro' or "colored" was offensive

Afro-American
African-American

The political correctness seems to change with the wind. Can't we just pick one term and stick with it?

What if you're black, but not African?

Afro-American
African-American

They have black as an option! You're in luck today buddy! :clap2:

☭proletarian☭;1877282 said:
NEW YORK, Jan. 6 (UPI) -- A U.S. Census Bureau spokesman said the use of the term "negro" on the 2010 Census is intended to offer some older African-Americans a new identifier.
The New York Daily News said while some African-American residents of New York questioned the use of the term in this year's census, bureau spokesman Jack Martin called it a term of inclusion.
"Many older African-Americans identified themselves that way, and many still do," Martin said. "Those who identify themselves as Negroes need to be included."

:eusa_eh:

'Black' isn't inclusive? :confused:

negro:

Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of one of the traditional racial divisions of humankind, generally marked by brown to black skin pigmentation, dark eyes, and woolly or crisp hair and including esp. the indigenous peoples of Africa south of the Sahara.

Being a member of the black peoples of humankind, esp. those who originate in sub-Saharan Africa.

Negro Definition | Definition of Negro at Dictionary.com

So. my question is this: Will the next census include 'Nigga' as an option, in order to appeal to the younger hiphop crowd?

Yo.

Last edited:
I am going to be more culturally aware this Census, I am going negro! On second thought, I'll hit the Chinese food scene more, so Asian. Gee, I hope I decide before the due date.

So what are the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People folks to do?

Doesn't seem fair the United Negro College Fund folks have a box all to their own.

Wonder what Al and Jesse think about such discrimination?

Afro-American
African-American

You mean like the VAST number of Negroes in this Country.

NEW YORK, Jan. 6 (UPI) -- A U.S. Census Bureau spokesman said the use of the term "negro" on the 2010 Census is intended to offer some older African-Americans a new identifier.
The New York Daily News said while some African-American residents of New York questioned the use of the term in this year's census, bureau spokesman Jack Martin called it a term of inclusion.
"Many older African-Americans identified themselves that way, and many still do," Martin said. "Those who identify themselves as Negroes need to be included."

:eusa_eh:

So. my question is this: Will the next census include 'Nigga' as an option, in order to appeal to the younger hiphop crowd?

You are comparing the two terms? Really?

Forum List

Back