Cell Phones for the Poor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chanel, Jun 14, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Advocates say poor need available free cell phones | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/14/2010

We had this discussion before, but I didn't realize how expensive it was. We have 4 cell phones; and three land lines. At two bucks per month... I'm going to have to check our bill.

Do we get to claim that "charity" on our income tax? Or does the phone company?

The fleecing of America....

2. LeatherneckPM

LeatherneckPM BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Poor takes on a new meaning in countries like Afghanistan. Americans are not poor.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Why would anyone have to pay 2.00 to the cell phone company?

Any cell phone that no longer is turned on with phone service still can dial 911, is that not enough? What did they do before cell phones?

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Try and find a pay phone anywhere anymore. A functional one anyway.

Of course, when I was growing up we luxuriated in a single phone line, lots of folks were still on party lines.

Yesterday's luxury is today's vital necessity. Indoor toilets as a regular feature of life are more recent than telephones.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,954
    okay i never had a cell phone till i started working the census...then with my mom...i have to have the steady contact...in case of this or that...she runs outta cocoa...etc....so i forward my home phone to my cell phone...but right now...i have to have one...as much as i hate it...and if you ever need a phone booth you will understand why people have cells.

6. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    The Cell Phone killed the Phone Booth, hmmmm... where does Clark Kent change now?.....

7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +350
    I dumped our two cell phones long ago from one of the money hungry majors in the industry. At about $60/mo EACH including dropouts and missed calls I switched to a very popular pay-as-you-go phone company that goes under two names, very well advertized and they cost me $15/mo each, ie: $30/mo and we have minutes I can never use but keep rolling them over. Then again we used them to actually MAKE PHONE CALLS, I know, it's hard to believe, but that's what we use our Cell Phones for! :cuckoo: Go figure!

No texting, no games, no videos , no scrolling sports scores and news updates, I hardly have enough time as it is without having someone texting or other stuff all day/night long, like the grandkids. Their hands are non-stop going into their pockets, retrieving the blackberry, fingers moving eyeballs doing circles, my god, I would need an exercise program just to complete one day of their Cell activities.

I may even toss the land line service out in favor of that $20/yr with another internet based phone company as a few I know have already done! :lol: