Celebs refuse to entertain the troops...

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by insein, Dec 24, 2005.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Good. I dont think many of the troops would want some anti-war hack telling them what they are doing is wrong to their face. Besides they get Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders in their place. So its win freakin win for the troops.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,1673781,00.html

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I saw Bob Hope in person during one of his tours in 1983 (I think... early eighties anyway). The USO rocks. And, I remember seeing the entire Cowboys cheerleaders during a USO visit to Okinawa once. Lots better than a Christian Hip Hop band.

3. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

appearances during WWII,Korea,Vietnam(my era) he was a true warrior unlike the phoney celebs of today they talk shit but have not the guts to enter the real stage of life...if they did and made their stupid negative anti-war remarks in hate vs humor well they would recieve a fast round to the buttocks...then again I truly believe they are actually afraid of the enemy whom they in public embrace, but fear to confront on the stage the enemy surrounds...cowards without a cause!

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    There ARE celebrities who take the time and put forth the effort to entertain our troops. I try to not forget them anymore than those who will not.

5. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Most so-called "celebs" are just like the rest of us. They make a living the best way they can. Their talent is in entertainment. It seems like just fun to most but it is very much work to those that provide it. When faced with decisions that include "How do I pay for this performance" verses "they got paid and transported for their performance" (talented entertainers are not known for their business expertise), what do you expect?

In addition, how much have you contributed to expenses of those that entertained you or that you expect to entertain your replacements? I suspect not a penny. That is exactly the saga of the "entertainer!"

You don't dig it, do you?

Psychoblues

6. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

7. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206

8. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    A Few Sour Notes from Hollywood
    By Wesley Pruden, The Washington Times
    December 27, 2005

But if there's no business like the show business for which Hollywood is famous, nowhere else has given the American soldier the business end of a dirty stick like Hollywood, circa 2005. Most critics of the war in Iraq are careful to preface criticism with synthetic sympathy for the men and women actually in uniform ? "we support the troops, but ... ." Hollywood doesn't bother.

In the first months after 9/11, Wayne Newton, who succeeded Bob Hope as the man to recruit entertainers for the foxhole circuit, couldn't accommodate all the stars who wanted to fly off to Afghanistan, and later Iraq. "We couldn't have had enough airplanes for the people who were volunteering to go," he told an interviewer. "Now with 9/11 being as far removed as it is, the war being up one day and down the next, it becomes increasingly difficult to get people to go."

Most Hollywood stars want to avoid the war. Many, like Alec Baldwin and Barbra Streisand, who promised to leave the country if George W. was re-elected but who never did, are more likely to show up at a rally to denounce the war. Wayne Newton, who likes the president, and Robin Williams, who doesn't, tell prospects their presence in the mess halls and compounds in Iraq won't be taken as endorsing the war. That hasn't helped much.

"They're scared," says Craig Morton, a country singer, who's from Nashville, after all (with California and Tennessee occupying space on different planets). "It's understandable. It's not a safe and fun place to be, and a lot of people don't want to take the chance."

The Christmas tour was for decades synonymous with a Bob Hope special. The first Hope tour was for Christmas 1942, and until 1990 he never enjoyed Christmas beneath the California palms. He took Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour to Europe and the South Pacific, Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell to Korea, Raquel Welch and Ann-Margret to Vietnam. The troops in Iraq get the likes of Jessica Simpson.

But it doesn't matter. Bob Hope learned that what the troops like best, even better than his masterful topical patter, were the girls, bosomy and long of leg, whom he invariably introduced as "what you're over here fighting for." Now, in deference to the many young women in the audience, the tour is carefully studded, so to speak, with treats for the fighting ladies.

for full article:
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/pruden.htm

9. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    It's positive now that you just don't dig it. Your $100 bucks is appreciated. What do you say for the LIVES that have been sacrificed, both for and against the WAR? Dead, injured or just mentally marred for life? How do you reconcile all that? By voting Republican? It is the Republicans that oppose most rehabilitation and treatment of the injuries, physical and mental, caused by WAR of the Veterans they so shallowly support.

I ain't digging a few sound bites that appease the ignorant. I pay attention to votes and action.

Democrats support the active military AND the veterans. Once the veterans AND the military recognise this (and they will, mark my word) the Republicans are going to have a lot of explaining to do. don't you think?

Psychoblues

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    If they were concerned with ow to pay for what, they would relize they are entertainers and that is what is expected of them .... entertainment, not politics.

What I don't dig is entertainers taking advantage of their access to the media via their ability to entertain using it to spout political propaganda.

And Hollyweird elitists may be just like YOU, but they nothing like me. Unlike you and them, I have to live in reality.