Celebrating Big Oil!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The drumbeat of attacks on Big Oil by government, i.e., the Left, are motivated purely because they can foist same as a bête noire for the gullible, and accrue votes/power.
After all, smearing the innocent is second nature to these folks.

Now, environmentalists hate Big Oil because environmentalists are, basically, insane.

Here are some timely facts that must be incorporated into any discussion of Big Oil:

1. "The three largest oil companies paid the most in taxes in absolute terms of all major corporations, according to data on S&P 500 companies compiled by The New York Times.
President Barack Obama has chastised oil companies for receiving billions of dollars in tax breaks. However, the Times reports that ExxonMobil paid $146 billion in taxes; Chevron paid $85 billion; and ConocoPhillips paid $58 billion over the last five years.

a. In terms of their effective tax rates, the big three oil companies don’t get off easily either. Exxon had an effective tax rate of 37 percent, Chevron’s effective tax rate was 39 percent, and ConocoPhillips’s was a whopping 74 percent. The U.S. corporate tax rate is 35 percent. [Obama's tax rate: 18%]

However, last year Exxon and Chevron ranked in the top two companies that paid the most in taxes. ConocoPhillips ranked sixth in terms of taxes paid, reports USA Today. In 2012, Exxon paid $31.05 billion, Chevron paid $20 billion, and ConocoPhillips paid $7.94 billion.

b. “The oil and gas industry gets no subsidies, zero, nothing,” said Jack Gerard, president and CEO of the American Petroleum Institute — the nation’s largest oil and gas lobby. “We get cost-recovery benefits, much like other industries. You can go down the road of allowing economic activity, generating hundreds of billions to the government, or you can take the alternative route by trying to extract new revenue from industry by increasing their cost to do business.”

According to the Congressional Budget Office, tax benefits for renewable energy and energy efficiency make up three-quarters of more than $16 billion in energy-related tax subsidies the U.S. for 2013.
Read more: NYT: Oil companies paid the most in taxes | The Daily Caller

2. "Even if gas costs $4 per gallon, we should thank Big Oil. Think what they have to do to bring us gas.... And it still costs less per ounce than the bottled water sold at gas stations. If government sold gas, it would cost $40 per gallon. And there would be shortages!

3. Another myth: Big Oil makes "excess" profit. Nonsense. The oil business is fiercely competitive. If one company charges a penny too much, other companies steal its business. Apple's profit margin is about 24 percent. McDonald's makes 20 percent. Oil companies make half that. Per gallon, ExxonMobil makes about 7 cents. Governments, by contrast, grab about 27 cents per gallon. That's the average gas tax. If anyone takes too much, it's government.

Almost no one seems to speak up for a true free market in energy, with competition, innovation and unfettered consumer choice. People say regulation is needed to counter industry "greed."
But if anyone's greedy here, it's government -- and unlike oil companies, government doesn't have to work hard and compete to give you good service at the lowest possible price. "
Gas Myths - John Stossel - Page full

OK, now.....say "Thank you, Big Oil!"

Is 'three cheers' pushing it?

I want to support Nuclear Power but can't.
We have one mistake,one accident,one anything go wrong and we are so....

And what about the spent fuel rods?....
Where are we stashing them?....
Don't these things have a half life of 100,000 years or so?...

I support all forms of energy...We're fighting wars to defend the oil throughout the middle east...Wouldn't it be wiser to use our natural resources like wind, solar and wave right here in America?

I support nuclear, coal, but also support renewables as some of them really do make sense.

Lovely thread. :thup:

I would like to point out that it is Independents, and not "Big Oil", that drill over 90% of onshore wells in this country.

Regarding taxes- the President intends to pull $40 billion away from this industry by denying the very same tax provisions that are afforded all manufacturing businesses.

You're goddamn right this industry should be celebrated.

Yucca Moun....oh, nevermind

Well, I much prefer the idea of being able to make my own energy, not being dependent on some corperation that can change the price at any time.

Lovely thread. :thup:

I would like to point out that it is Independents, and not "Big Oil", that drill over 90% of onshore wells in this country.

Regarding taxes- the President intends to pull $40 billion away from this industry by denying the very same tax provisions that are afforded all manufacturing businesses.

You're goddamn right this industry should be celebrated.

a. From 2006-2010, Exxon earned $40.5 billion in the US
b. From 2006-2010, Exxon paid $59.5 billion in US taxes. Exxon Earns Huge Profits, But Also Pays Huge Taxes | TheBlaze.com

Big oil does amazing things for society and I don't get how you can hate what makes societies run. We also have to understand that renewables are just us using other methods to try to do the same job. ;) Nothing wrong with either. Why the hell be against any of it.

We owe oil be it big or small a big thank you.

Well, I much prefer the idea of being able to make my own energy, not being dependent on some corperation that can change the price at any time.

Do you currently power your home and car with solar(or wind)?

(My bold)

Yes, of course! It's ALL solar: solar, wind, tides, currents, coal, coal sands, OTEC, geothermal, even fission & - if we ever get there - fusion. These are different forms of the energy from our sun (in the case of nukes, the heavy metals are the remains from old suns beyond Chandrasekr's limit). There is no other primary energy source available to us, unless we ever learn to tap quantum flux - probably sometime after we get to fusion.

Depending upon where you live, & if you're willing to either spend the money or invest your sweat equity - or reduce your energy footprint sufficienty - it's feasible to cut back to the energy you can generate directly - solar, geothermal, wind, etc. For cities & the transport/manufacturing grid, home solutions will need to be scaled up sharply. We're starting to do that; but there's a long way to go - & not all locations have a readily tappable resource to run from.

(My bold)

Yes, of course! It's ALL solar: solar, wind, tides, currents, coal, coal sands, OTEC, geothermal, even fission & - if we ever get there - fusion. These are different forms of the energy from our sun (in the case of nukes, the heavy metals are the remains from old suns beyond Chandrasekr's limit). There is no other primary energy source available to us, unless we ever learn to tap quantum flux - probably sometime after we get to fusion.

Depending upon where you live, & if you're willing to either spend the money or invest your sweat equity - or reduce your energy footprint sufficienty - it's feasible to cut back to the energy you can generate directly - solar, geothermal, wind, etc. For cities & the transport/manufacturing grid, home solutions will need to be scaled up sharply. We're starting to do that; but there's a long way to go - & not all locations have a readily tappable resource to run from.

1. Based on US Department of Energy, sources of energy used in the US:
39.2% petroleum, 23.3% natural gas, 22.4% coal, 8.3% nuclear, 3.6% biomass, 2.4% hydroelectric, 0.35% geothermal, 0.31% wind, 0.08% solar.
Can the U.S. Eliminate Its Dependence on Foreign Oil? |

2. If green energy is as good, cheap, and clean as supporters say, why haven’t market forces should make it an increasing part of the energy picture…? Politics: rather than the promotion of new sources of energy, the movement has been hijacked by those whose main motivation is the devolution of America, or to accomplish government ownership and control of our energy supply. Sometimes called the “Watermelon Effect,” it is made up of the ‘green’ pro-environment policies on the outside, hiding the red Marxist redistributive policies on the inside.
(james Delingpole)

BTW, we imported just over a third of our oil in 1981, and now 70%.

(My bold)

1. Based on US Department of Energy, sources of energy used in the US:
39.2% petroleum, 23.3% natural gas, 22.4% coal, 8.3% nuclear, 3.6% biomass, 2.4% hydroelectric, 0.35% geothermal, 0.31% wind, 0.08% solar.
Can the U.S. Eliminate Its Dependence on Foreign Oil? |

2. If green energy is as good, cheap, and clean as supporters say, why haven’t market forces should make it an increasing part of the energy picture…? Politics: rather than the promotion of new sources of energy, the movement has been hijacked by those whose main motivation is the devolution of America, or to accomplish government ownership and control of our energy supply. Sometimes called the “Watermelon Effect,” it is made up of the ‘green’ pro-environment policies on the outside, hiding the red Marxist redistributive policies on the inside.
(james Delingpole)

(My bold)

See File:Dependence on imports 1949-2011.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - We hit a trifecta in 2005 - see chart - US Petroleum, etc. - Consumption & Net Imports peaked, & Production began to ramp up. Domestic fracking is producing lots of oil & NG - this is why electricity production costs are falling, as surge electrical production goes to NG burners. LNG imports - the infrastructure to support that - has stalled, projects are being cancelled left & right. We are becoming net exporters of oil & nat gas.

Great news for our balance of trade.

You need to find a new source of information on how much oil we now import. It has been trending downward for 5 years or more now, and is currently much less than 70%.

Forum List

Back