CBS 60 Minutes : Government Should NOT Be In The Healthcare Business

There is no incentive for government to be efficient.
In private enterprise it is handled by going back and investigating claims. Not surprisingly people lie on their applications and claim no they never had a heart attack. After they have one and make a claim the insurance co will go back and investigate. If, surprise, the patient lied then they deny the claim.
This is the source for the stories about denied claims. But somehow the fact that the patient lied on his form and failed to disclose significant information is never mentioned.

Bottom line is, anyone who thinks the deficit will shrink under Obamacare is more credulous than a voter should be allowed to be.

Bottom line is the people doing most of the stealing are of the Conservative stripe, like Rich Scott.

What needs to be done is just put all of the present Health Care for profit groups out of buisiness, and use only non-profits.

I have to ask, and am surprised everyone has let you get away with that statement, can you back that up with a link or is it your opinion?

Immie

I have been questioning all along their ability to manage any program. They have bankrupted social security, medicare, medicaid, the postal service, fannie and freddie, now some of you want to turn over 6% of our economy to these morons. .

Well you don't have to wonder anymore, the 60 Minutes pieces have provided all the evidence that you need.

NIH is involved in medical-oriented research - basic and clinical.

I know. I worked in the clinical center --- providing healthcare, funded by the government.

With any luck your job as bedpan emptier was eliminated.

lol

Clinical Research Nurse.

But I do provide total patient care, which in some cases does include providing patients with bedpans. Few of the patients on the hospital unit I worked needed them, though.

Now you state that we can reform health care through legislation. Well, that is exactly what we are doing.

"This story may raise your blood pressure, along with some troubling questions about our government's ability to manage a medical bureaucracy. "

Steve Kroft
Correspondent
60 Minutes

"This story may raise your blood pressure, along with some troubling questions about our government's ability to manage a medical bureaucracy. "

Steve Kroft
Correspondent
60 Minutes

Medicare Fraud: A $60 Billion Crime (CBS 60 Minutes, October*25) - Home - The Daily Bail

You're bothering us with "$90 billion a year using a billing scam that is surprisingly easy to execute?" When you get in the trillion dollar range, let us know. Otherwise, nobody cares. :eusa_angel:

I know. I worked in the clinical center --- providing healthcare, funded by the government.
In clinical research. NIH mission is in research.

I understand. All the patients were in (or had been in) a clinical trial. It was still a hospital.
Of course it is a hospital, for clinical research. It's equivalent to conflating chem lab research to a production facility. The health care debate is on the production side, in that analogy. Just trying to be accurate, here.

I have been questioning all along their ability to manage any program. They have bankrupted social security, medicare, medicaid, the postal service, fannie and freddie, now some of you want to turn over 6% of our economy to these morons. .

Well you don't have to wonder anymore, the 60 Minutes pieces have provided all the evidence that you need.

It's my understanding that the FBI's Medicare Fraud Divison has taken a back seat to other kinds of fraud, and doesn't have enough inspectors in the field. Maybe that will change, now. In any event, it isn't as though they're just sitting around doing nothing. As the 60 Minutes program emphasised, there is a LOT of it. Maybe it will make everybody feel bettr to see some success stories.

Examples of Healthcare Fraud Investigations - Fiscal Year 2009

That said, you do have to wonder if some of those "inspectors" assigned at the state level aren't just pushing papers to meet quotas. I spoke to a friend of mine who works in a medical clinic (administrative aide) and she related the story of when her small clinic was "investigated" for an overcharge of $12.00 and then penalized by $1,200 for a simple clerical error.

She also said that doctors in general suspect that both Florida and California fall victim to graft, because the paperwork involved in getting approval for a large Medicare claim for artificial limbs, for example, is very tight and even more tightly scrutinized for fraud once a claim is submitted. So somebody's getting rich at the medical provider end by accepting kickbacks for lying about services provided.

In clinical research. NIH mission is in research.

I understand. All the patients were in (or had been in) a clinical trial. It was still a hospital.
Of course it is a hospital, for clinical research. It's equivalent to conflating chem lab research to a production facility. The health care debate is on the production side, in that analogy. Just trying to be accurate, here.

True. Still, it's government provided healthcare. Aside from collecting blood for research and that some of the chemo I gave was investigational, it was like any other oncology unit I've worked (except supplies and ancillary services were top of the line).

Cool. Let's do away with the VA, medicare, medicaid, Indian health services, USPHS, CDC, NIH, etc.

Let's do.

Better yet, lets just vote out the Blue Dog Democrats, replace them with progressive Democrats, and vote out about 10 more braindead Rushpublicans in the senate, and about 50 more of the same in the House.

Then build a real healthcare system based on what is really working in other nations like Japan, Taiwan, and Germany, just to name a few.

Or you can just move to Cuba where they're all "Progressive"

I knew the defense of Medicare Fraud sounded familiar:

ALVY'S FATHER
You fired the cleaning woman?

ALVY'S MOTHER
She was stealing.

ALVY'S FATHER
But she's colored.

ALVY'S MOTHER
SO?

ALVY'S FATHER
So the colored have enough trouble.

ALVY'S MOTHER
She was going through my pocketbook!

ALVY'S FATHER
They're persecuted enough!

ALVY'S MOTHER
Who's persecuting? She stole!

Alvy's father gets up and gets his hard hat. He sits back down and starts
polishing it.

ALVY'S FATHER
All right-so we can afford it.

ALVY'S MOTHER
How can we afford it? On your pay? What if she steals more?

ALVY'S FATHER
She's a colored woman, from Harlem! She has no money! She's got a right to steal from us! After all, who is she gonna steal from if not us?"

Annie Hall by Woody Allen

When people blame government for dishonestly they forget the perpetrator. You would think that cheating and stealing were a government policy.

Oh and who was it who reduced regulatory agencies? And believed as some believe in astrology that the free market would create nirvana. Tell me again lest you forget.

But the issue of human - notice I don't ascribe dishonesty to Gov - dishonestly seems never to change and at times gets worse. Barbara Ehrenreich has an interesting take on the topic.

Barbara's Blog: How Positive Thinking Wrecked the Economy

"Greed – and its crafty sibling, speculation – are the designated culprits for the ongoing financial crisis, but another, much admired, habit of mind should get its share of the blame: the delusional optimism of mainstream, all-American, positive thinking. As promoted by Oprah, scores of megachurch pastors, and an endless flow of self-help bestsellers, the idea is to firmly belief that you will get what you want, not only because it will make you feel better to do so, but because thinking things, “visualizing” them – ardently and with concentration – actually makes them happen. You will be able to pay that adjustable rate mortgage or, at the other end of the transaction, turn thousands of bad mortgages into giga-profits, the reasoning goes, if only you truly believe that you can."

When people blame government for dishonestly they forget the perpetrator.

Is not that cheating and stealing are a government policy, is just that they are incompetent and don't give a shit since is not their money.

And believed as some believe in astrology that the free market would create nirvana.

Healthcare is the US is extremely expensive . It is also extremely regulated. So by freeing up the marketplace prices should be substantially reduced .

Remember, tyranny is also very expensive.

Forum List

Back