cat food....

My cats have all flown the coop; Mylo the terrier is not a gracious roommate. Cat food is ALWAYS expensive, even the cheap stuff...and I KNOW cheap stuff is garbage.

Lol..clark the puker, that's funny. It's cheaper to just feed him human food I imagine; chicken primarily, I'd think. Maybe a little tuna for a treat. I'd boil it, chop it up w/skin & cartilege, maybe add a little rice bran and call it good. One cat, probably one chicken a week.

I've fed cats that way before, incidentally. They lean down and get very shiny.

Meow mix. They love it... So the wife says. I have to admit, it isn't bad with a little milk and sugar.

My cats get 5 different crunchy foods, all lined up in a planter tray, like a buffet. They graze on these whenever they want, every three days I refill them.

They have "Snack bars" where a bowl is flush-mounted on either end of the bar, I keep "treat" type crunchies in these and refill as needed.

Wal-Mart tuna in the pouch, they get this twice a day as their "meal." Sometimes for a switch they get "wet" canned nummies, super supper or liver and bacon. Cats like variety and they are do better as grazers, not wolfers like dogs.

It's 8 cats, I feed them for around $50 a month. Very seldom ever have any Wyatt issues. (Wyatt Earp. Get it? Earp?)

I use sWheat brand cat litter, it's wheat based. Never a odor one comes from it. No stinkies at all in my house. Ever. It's sWheat.

I put diatomatious earth in their litter, in their bedding, anywhere they lounge. Keeps all bugs off of them. Never any ticks or fleas, with NO pesticides.

Bones,

Can it be that Clark the Puker has a hairball problem (very common with cats)?

Unless you are certain that this is not the problem you should pick up a tube of Hairball Remedy from any pet supply store. (The most common brand is Hartz Mountain.)

Squeeze half an inch onto a fingertip every day. He will lick it off because they love it (malt taste) and it will effectively stop the puking.

Bones,

Unless you are certain that this is not the problem you should pick up a tube of Hairball Remedy from any pet supply store. (The most common brand is Hartz Mountain.)

Squeeze half an inch onto a fingertip every day. He will lick it off because they love it (malt taste) and it will effectively stop the puking.
They lick and chew their coat alot more when they have parasites, ticks and fleas, mites and the like. Greatly increases the likelihood of hairballs.

Gosh reading this thread makes me feel like I have all the unpleasantness of having cats, with none of the positive...

Blech.

I don't like to feed commercial food (if that's all they eat) because I know that stuff is pure unadulterated crap. I'll feed commercial food in addition to real food. I don't feed tuna every day because I know cats in the wild don't eat tuna. If they eat fish, it's raw, and it isn't very often. They also don't eat chickens, I know this, but they do eat birds.

And garter snakes, and mice (they don't eat rats). They don't eat cows and pigs, so my cats don't get anything except an occasional taste of beef & pig....

clark the puker has began to puke yet again....so i am changing his food to 'blue'

holistic food.....dont even fucking ask how much...way damn too much

anyone use this cat food?

what do you use?
All our cats ate 'prescription' food, Science Diet. It was expensive but after losing a cat due to cheap cat food causing struvite crystals in his bladder that forced us to put him down, I'd be very leery of doing anything else.

Do NOT get "Felidae". that is the shit that killed our cat. The dog brand is Canidae. Avoid it like the plague.

If you get the 'diet' food, expect double the poop because it's all filler that swells to make the animal feel full, but it's just 'fiber'.

Bones,

Make sure when you use that 'treat' you squish it into the fur so if they don't like it, you don't find a wad of it 'flicked' off onto a wall somewhere.

If they do like it, let em eat it right out of the tube as you squeeze it. Our cats loved that stuff and would fight over who got some. They'd come running if the tube came out. we never had to put it on the paws but let them lick the nozzle.

The dog was jealous but she didn't need it.

Just changing their food can cause them to puke.

I tried everything at one point to get one of my cats to eat. What i ended up doing was cooking his food. Just plain chicken cooked very tender with some broth. It kept him alive for a very long time. :)

For "holistic" food, i have tried halo spots stew both in cans and the dry. They all like them...but yes it is VERY expensive. They do have a recipe for the product so you can make it on your own :) ...but it would see as if they are reworking that section of the site. He LOVED the Live a Little's protein treats and the Sprinkles were great on baby food. You can usually find coupons at the web site too.

Homemade Pet Food Recipes

I have also used innova. Again it was very good...but very expensive. It caused a bit of diarrhea because it was so rich.

Holistic Pet Product Search ? Natural Dog Food, Cat Food & Dog Treats ? Innova Holistic Pet Food

What i feed my boys is iams or science diet. Like BF... we had a problem feeding one of our boys the "cheep" stuff...and will never go back to the high ash food.

Have you tried prescription food from the vet or baby food? Hills makes a "highly palatable" food that he liked too.

I love my kitties :)

Last edited:
Fancy Feast. She refuses everything else. And it HAS to be the pate' style. No chopped or minced in gravy. AND I have to smoosh it after I put it in the plate. She only eats a little bit so when it gets dry on top, she will come BITE me on the ankle then try to trip me as I head to the kitchen to smoosh it more into a pyramid so its soggy again from the center.

I am NOT a cat person. I never go looking for one. But I always have ONE. And it chooses ME. I am a slave.

Found it. Halo's spot stew.

For additional Halo recipes, visit Homemade Pet Food Recipes. For a $5 unrestricted coupon for use when buying any of Halo’s natural products, visit Natural Pet Care Products from Halo

Here’s to a healthy and happy Thanksgiving for you and your pets!

Spot’s Chicken Stew from Halo

* 2 ½ pounds whole chicken
* ¼ cup chopped fresh garlic
* 1 cup green peas
* 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
* ½ cup coarsely chopped sweet potato
* ½ cup coarsely chopped zucchini
* ½ cup coarsely chopped yellow squash
* ½ cup coarsely chopped green beans
* ½ cup coarsely chopped celery
* 1 tablespoon kelp powder
* 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
* 11 to 16 cups spring water

For dogs only: Add 8 ounces whole barley and 6 ounces rolled oats, and adjust the water content to a total of 16 cups or enough to cover the ingredients (According to Halo Veterinarian, Dr. Donna Spector, cats require zero carbohydrate content in their diet, so this would be an unnecessary addition for cats).

Instructions:

Combine all of the ingredients in a 10-quart stockpot (stainless steel, please) with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat as low as possible and simmer for 2 hours (the carrots should be quite soft at the end of the cooking time). Remove from the heat, let cool, and debone the chicken. With an electric hand mixer, or using a food processor and working in batches, blend all the ingredients into a nice puree; the stew should be slightly thicker for dogs and more soupy for cats. Using zip lock bags or plastic yogurt containers, make up meal-sized portions. Refrigerate what you’ll need for three days and freeze the rest. Be sure and seek your pet’s advice (and your vet’s) on ideal meal sizes.

Thanksgiving Recipe: Halo Spot’s Stew – Bon Appetite! – Animal Crazy – Orlando Sentinel

Fancy Feast. She refuses everything else. And it HAS to be the pate' style. No chopped or minced in gravy. AND I have to smoosh it after I put it in the plate. She only eats a little bit so when it gets dry on top, she will come BITE me on the ankle then try to trip me as I head to the kitchen to smoosh it more into a pyramid so its soggy again from the center.

I am NOT a cat person. I never go looking for one. But I always have ONE. And it chooses ME. I am a slave.

Sounds like Persian. Those things are evil. I think breeding them for the squashed face compromised their BRAINS. I paid a lot of money for one once and she was the foulest animal I've ever seen.

Sounds like Persian. Those things are evil. I think breeding them for the squashed face compromised their BRAINS. I paid a lot of money for one once and she was the foulest animal I've ever seen.

Nope. She's just a bitchy cat, lol. When she was a kitten, she chose my dog. She THINKS shes a dog, actually. She jumped out of the bushes during one of our walks, played with Charlies feet, then latched on to him and wouldnt let go. He walked all the way home with her hanging on his leg. We were in mourning of losing out cat that was 23 years old due to bone cancer. I had him put down when the pain began. Charlie was dying too. He had cancer of the espophogus. When the cat went over rainbow bridge, charlie was alone. But then the kitten showed up. I think my old cat sent her...as a joke. Mean kitty. But she loves her doggy pals. This is her with karma, taking their daily nap.

hvniwk.jpg

Nope. She's just a bitchy cat, lol. When she was a kitten, she chose my dog. She THINKS shes a dog, actually. She jumped out of the bushes during one of our walks, played with Charlies feet, then latched on to him and wouldnt let go. He walked all the way home with her hanging on his leg. We were in mourning of losing out cat that was 23 years old due to bone cancer. I had him put down when the pain began. Charlie was dying too. He had cancer of the espophogus. When the cat went over rainbow bridge, charlie was alone. But then the kitten showed up. I think my old cat sent her...as a joke. Mean kitty. But she loves her doggy pals. This is her with karma, taking their daily nap.

hvniwk.jpg

:lol::lol:

she has you well trained.

cute...very cute.

Forum List

Back