cat died

And, speaking for myself...I would not put my fur kid in the trash any more than I would a real child of mine and saying for someone else to do that is just as cruel.

well, i went back to her feeding station/shelter and daughter was there, i fed her she ate.... half my friends say show her moms body for closure so she knows shes dead, others say don't. Opinions?
When I was a child and our older dog died, the vet put her to sleep and took her away whilst I was taking care of our younger dog in another room, as my mother instructed me to do. The younger dog, Coco, took a loooong time to get over it, and I was sure it was because she wasn't allowed to make sense of what had happened. More recently, when my elder dog died, I let my two younger dogs (who adored her) be with her, and although they howled and cried, they seemed to get over it better, they seemed to understand. We buried her in the garden, and the younger dogs would sit by her grave, but they stopped howling and crying and looking around, they new where she was. I think dogs and cats understand more than some of us give them credit for. I'm really sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Animals understand a death when they can SMELL IT. Looking for a buddy and wondering where it is, is heartbreaking. Cecil the Lions brother looked for Cecil too. Which is why they left the body there after finding it. So one persons crass opinion in animal behavior is what should be thrown in the trash.

Oh for pete's sakes, the cat already saw the dead cat. The idea of keeping a cat corpse to show another cat for the sake of CLOSURE has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Sorry about your cat, but they aren't human and you make them, and yourself, crazy when you treat them like they are.

If you can't bury her, then put her in a box wrap it up and put it in the garbage.

REALLY? That is one of the coldest things to say to anyone. If you didn't agree with the OP you could very well have kept your mouth shut & move to another thread more to your liking. May I suggest the FZ?

If your avatar is your own dog, I feel sorry for it. Why have a pet if you don't care for and about it? Just seems selfish to me

I have seen the damage done to animals by people who insist on pretending they're human. It's not good or healthy to drag a dead cat around in order to allow a living cat to *view* it and have *closure*.

It sounds cold but seriously, I've taken care of a lot of animals and while I appreciate the loss it's ridiculous to think a CAT needs to VIEW the frozen carcass of it's mother for *closure*.

It is not viewing, like in a casket. It is the SCENT of the dead animal that lets the other animals know it is DEAD. You warped this all over the place, KG.

hi guys, could really use some prayers. One of my favorite cats got hit and killed by a car earlier tonight- i found her lying on side of road after work when i went to feed her and her daughter who are always together. Didnt see the daughter- shes prob scared and upset somewhere nearby. i have her in my trunk, too cold to bury her atm. im devastated. Kevin.

I just read this

I am truly sorry for your loss may time heal your pain

ninja007-
My deepest condolences.
We lost our little furkid last summer, after an extended illness.
I don't know which is worse - having one go quickly like yours, or seeing it coming but being unable to prevent it.

Once again, sorry for your loss.

It is not viewing, like in a casket. It is the SCENT of the dead animal that lets the other animals know it is DEAD. You warped this all over the place, KG.
Omg the cat was probably there when the cat died. Cats don't have funerals and seriously, the whole idea of "closure" and "smelling" the dead cat is insane. Bury it and move on.

Oh for pete's sakes, the cat already saw the dead cat. The idea of keeping a cat corpse to show another cat for the sake of CLOSURE has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Sorry about your cat, but they aren't human and you make them, and yourself, crazy when you treat them like they are.

If you can't bury her, then put her in a box wrap it up and put it in the garbage.

the cat prob. didnt see her mom. I KNOW these 2 were inseperable. IM the one who fed them, loved them, took care of them EVERYDAY. I cannot believe what you just typed. PETS ARE LIKE FAMILY. Welcome to ignore you sick fuck.

the cat prob. didnt see her mom. I KNOW these 2 were inseperable. IM the one who fed them, loved them, took care of them EVERYDAY. I cannot believe what you just typed. PETS ARE LIKE FAMILY. Welcome to ignore you sick fuck.

You're the one driving around with a dead cat.

I get that you view the cats as family.

My point is that it's borderline abuse to force the other cat to hang out with a dead cat...and after all, you don't really know how that cat died...maybe it's contagious.

And trust me, the cat isn't going to understand or, ultimately, care. Animals live in the present. All you do when you insist on subjecting them to human drama is you confuse them.

Your cat doesn't need to hang out with its dead moms cold, decaying body. Cats don't do wakes, they don't kiss their dearly departed on the lips, they don't participate in formal mourning.

Your animals are best served by a common sense and intelligent approach to death..that is, leave the dead behind and get on with enjoying life. That's the way animals do it. When you drag them into your depression and your psychosis, all you do is make them anxious and neurotic.

I watch people do this to dogs all the time. They make their dogs miserable by feeding into unnatural and unhealthy behavior. When the dog whines, they cuddle him. When he looks sad, they do the "ooooh poor baby thing" and treat him like he has cancer or something. The result is an anxious, weirded out dog who always seems to be miserable, because he's getting what he views as positive reinforcement for being miserable.

Sorry to hear about your cat ninja. Anyone that has witnessed animals that are related or friends of the animal that died know they also feel things. You don't need a study to know this, you see it.
They move and make sounds unlike any other time.

I've lost pets along the way and it is never easy. Again sorry for your loss.

My point is that it's borderline abuse to force the other cat to hang out with a dead cat...and after all, you don't really know how that cat died...maybe it's contagious.

And trust me, the cat isn't going to understand or, ultimately, care. Animals live in the present. All you do when you insist on subjecting them to human drama is you confuse them.

Your cat doesn't need to hang out with its dead moms cold, decaying body. Cats don't do wakes, they don't kiss their dearly departed on the lips, they don't participate in formal mourning.

Your animals are best served by a common sense and intelligent approach to death..that is, leave the dead behind and get on with enjoying life. That's the way animals do it. When you drag them into your depression and your psychosis, all you do is make them anxious and neurotic.

I watch people do this to dogs all the time. They make their dogs miserable by feeding into unnatural and unhealthy behavior. When the dog whines, they cuddle him. When he looks sad, they do the "ooooh poor baby thing" and treat him like he has cancer or something. The result is an anxious, weirded out dog who always seems to be miserable, because he's getting what he views as positive reinforcement for being miserable.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Ninja's cat died.

It's a time for grieving and comfort, not lectures.

The only instance I can think of cats caring about other dead cats is from an old British folk tale.....

A man is in his house in front of his fire, his cat curled up comfortably on the rug in front of the fire. He's nodding off...it's blustery outside, the end of winter. He's falling asleep when he hears a knock at the door.

He lives out in the middle of nowhere, so not used to visitors at night (this is long before cars). He goes to the door, and it's an old friend he hasn't seen in a long time. He was expecting him but hadn't been sure of the day or time, but he welcomes the man in and sits him in front of the fire (because he was cold).

He's struck by the man's demeanor, which is bemused. He thought it was just because of the cold and the distance he's come, but after they're settled with their drinks he asks his friend what is distracting him?

"You will think I'm insane" his friend says, but then continues with the story: "As I left town I passed the church, and then the churchyard. Just past the churchyard, I began to hear the most incredible noise...a howling and yowling, sort of familiar and yet different somehow, in the distance. As I walked further, I came to a little stone footbridge that arched over a stream to the east. I stopped because the sound seemed to be coming nearer, and as I watched, I saw..you will not believe this....over a little knoll before the bridge came a cadre of 6 large black cats. They were wakling upright, and on their shoulders, they carried a coffin"

At this point, the cat in front of the hearth looked up and began to stare intently at the traveler.

"As they came closer, I noticed a crown atop the coffin, and more large cats behind...and their howls became more and more distinctive..."

Now the hearth kitty came closer to the speaker, sat on his haunches and took on an appearance of intense interest. His eyes seemed to grow larger and more glowing, he actually leaned towards the speaker, his body taut with excitement.

"I say, your cat is behaving most peculiar," said the traveler nervously (understandable, all things considered). His host said shortly "Don't pay him any mind, continue with the story!!"

So the guest commenced.

"Finally, they approached the bridge, and as they crossed it, their raucous caterwauling began to take on the shape of words...." the guest's voice cracked and he took another sloppy swallow of his drink, and his hand shook. "They were saying...."The King of Cats is Dead, The King of Cats is Dead! Long Live the King of Cats!!"

At this point, the hearth cat's tail shot straight up, his back arched, and all his hair stood on end. He leaped into the air, screamed, '"tHEN I AM KING OF CATS!!!" and with an inhuman screech, bounded out the window never to be seen again.

The end.

Wrong place, wrong time.

Ninja's cat died.

It's a time for grieving and comfort, not lectures.

It's one thing for nija to grieve.

It's totally another to force the poor cat into unnatural death rituals and observances. It's also totally another to drag a dead cat body around for any period of time. Ninja will survive. If nothing else, he needs to be there for his surviving cat. And if he puts on a brave front and doesn't DWELL on it, the cat will be much, much happier.

Though I have to say, my mother kept a dead mink in our freezer for a whole year once. Don't ask.

hi guys, could really use some prayers. One of my favorite cats got hit and killed by a car earlier tonight- i found her lying on side of road after work when i went to feed her and her daughter who are always together. Didnt see the daughter- shes prob scared and upset somewhere nearby. i have her in my trunk, too cold to bury her atm. im devastated. Kevin.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Outdoor kitties often need to be free. A couple of my strays like to check out the inside of my house, but the front door needs to stay open. They are happiest outdoors even though it is fraught with dangers. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, a new kitty will show up soon in need of food and some companionship. None of this diminishes your loss, much sympathy.

Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Outdoor kitties often need to be free. A couple of my strays like to check out the inside of my house, but the front door needs to stay open. They are happiest outdoors even though it is fraught with dangers. If your neighborhood is anything like mine, a new kitty will show up soon in need of food and some companionship. None of this diminishes your loss, much sympathy.

we have an outside cat Sonic a stray that wondered in one day really sick

we got him on some antibiotics and some other stuff

built him an outside warming box

never wants to come inside

Always exceptions Jon, I came inside, learned to speak English and type on message boards.

(this is the part where you are suppose to smile and play along)

Forum List

Back