Careful with Sunburn in warm climes

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
Iran's Arsenal Of Sunburn Missiles Is More Than Enough To Close The Strait

Any good armchair general with a good search engine and time on their hands can figure out in a hurry that the song and dance about Iran being unable to close the Strait if Hormuz for long is just a plain crock. Worse than a crock. Yet, this big Orwellian lie persists, so once again I have to set the record straight. Iran has the capability of not only closing the Strait for some time, but creating a world of hurt for the U.S. Navy’s 5th Fleet.

Iran possesses a build up of anti-ship weapons called Sunburn missiles, which it has procured from Russia and China over the last decade. These are top-notch weapons developed by the Russians as a low-cost challenge to the expensive, tech-heavy weaponry of the U.S., and specifically the aircraft carrier task force. A conflict, which I now assign a high probability to [see Scenario for an Israel Attack on Iran], is going to be a huge test of a global-naval doctrine that Russia and China will watch with tremendous interest. That’s why I think they have armed Iran to the teeth. The big question: How many of these weapons does Iran have? I would suggest thousands, and that this is the real show.

Read more: Iran's Arsenal Of Sunburn Missiles Is More Than Enough To Close The Strait - Business Insider

Last edited:
Thousands? No. That's a ridiculous number. More like dozens, plus a few hundred older missiles.

Sure, the Iranians could temporarily close the Straits and sink a bunch of tankers, right before the entire pissed-off world ganged up on them and dealt out some serious whoopass. Aircraft have much more range than Sunburn missiles.

So, the question isn't "could they". They could. It's "for how long" and "why would they try such a thing?".

The greatest Military the world has ever seen has the power to reduce Iran to a hole full of camel dung with conventional weapons in a week and they know it. It's a shame that we have dumb asses like Hillary and president Hussein to lead us but that's about to change.

Forum List

Back