Cardinal Says U.S. Treated Saddam 'Like a Cow'

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** Pity and compassion? You've got to be kidding me! I wonder if this guy also spoke out as Saddam was killing thousands upon thousands of civilians **

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - A top Vatican (news - web sites) official said Tuesday he felt pity and compassion for Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and criticized the U.S. military for showing video footage of him being treated "like a cow."

Cardinal Renato Martino, head of the Vatican's Justice and Peace department and a former papal envoy to the United Nations (news - web sites), told a news conference it would be "illusory" to think the arrest of the former Iraqi president would heal all the damage caused by a war which the Holy See opposed.

"I felt pity to see this man destroyed, (the military) looking at his teeth as if he were a cow. They could have spared us these pictures," he said.

"Seeing him like this, a man in his tragedy, despite all the heavy blame he bears, I had a sense of compassion for him," he said in answer to questions about Saddam's arrest.

Read the rest here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031216/wl_nm/iraq_saddam_vatican_dc_2

Treated like a COW??? you are kidding me right? he was given treatment better than what I would have given him. A good swift kick in the nuts would have been the first thing I would have done. They had doctors check him, and I saw nothing at all out of line on the way they treated him.

kick him in the nuts! I'd cut the bastards nuts out and make him eat em. The catholic church is trying to throw the spot light on someone else besides them, alot of them are no better then saddam and some are worse!!! pedeophiles with power....whats next?

A Bull has balls. I bet when it comes time to face the hangman, he has to be helped up the stairs.

I'm not surprised or upset that a cardinal (or any man of faith) would have these sorts of feelings even regarding a person who had sunk to pretty much the lowest depth this side of hell like Saddam. It's one of the places in life that bring christian ideals into hard conflict with realities of the world. Jesus said ""Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brethren,
you did it to me."

Originally posted by Aquarian
Jesus said ""Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these, my brethren, you did it to me."

The US gave Saddam a medical checkup after his capture. Sounds just like the compassion that Christ commanded.

how is the taking of a swab for DNA from the mouth poor treatment? this from a 'church' that has ruined countless lives themselves. where was the compassion of christ then? did he convenantly turned his head and look away?

Look guys,

All kidding aside I am in complete agreement about Saddam, god knows, I am no bleeding heart, and I think you guys know that too. Let us not cross the line though and take out our agression on the church. I am catholic, by choice, not birth, and I am well aware of the damage that elements in the church have caused. I will not make any excuses for this and I am in agreement that the Priests and Bishops who committed these criminal acts need to be put in prision, children must be protected under all circumstances. This said, I do not think we should condem the church itself, its head maybe, but not the body. I personally have friends who are priests, and they are some of the kindest people I have met, and most do not even agree with the policies and practices of the Vatican. I have been involved with many programs, though lately not as much as I should, and I submit to you that much good work is done for the good of the community. Let us be balanced in our judgment, and I think to mock Christ is just plain wrong. Sorry, but this how I feel.

No jon, I don't think you crossed the line or meant any offense, I am just trying to be fair. Personally I don't even think the church here should have to answer to the Vatican, it is too political and many of their positions outdated.

Eric, my apologies if my message was misleading. My comments were directed solely at the Cardinal who delivered this message. I in no wat hold the entire church responsible for his words any more than I would hold them all responsible for the 'bad' priests. I am normally very defensive with the Catholic church, but these particular words struck a chord with me.

Jim, no appoligies needed, I know you, and I am not defensive about the church, in fact I condem and will continue to, the leadership and its political structure, which should base decisions on faith not politics. I think this Cardinal is completely out of line and should have kept his mouth shut, the church should not involve themselves in this. All I was trying to point out is there are many good priests and laypeople who truely mean well and try and follow their faith. The church has brought enough embarrasment upon them, and it shows by the drop in church attendance, I don't want to hurt them or shake their faith anymore. This world would suck if all people lost faith.:)

Originally posted by jimnyc
** Pity and compassion? You've got to be kidding me! I wonder if this guy also spoke out as Saddam was killing thousands upon thousands of civilians **

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - A top Vatican (news - web sites) official said Tuesday he felt pity and compassion for Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and criticized the U.S. military for showing video footage of him being treated "like a cow."

Cardinal Renato Martino, head of the Vatican's Justice and Peace department and a former papal envoy to the United Nations (news - web sites), told a news conference it would be "illusory" to think the arrest of the former Iraqi president would heal all the damage caused by a war which the Holy See opposed.

"I felt pity to see this man destroyed, (the military) looking at his teeth as if he were a cow. They could have spared us these pictures," he said.

"Seeing him like this, a man in his tragedy, despite all the heavy blame he bears, I had a sense of compassion for him," he said in answer to questions about Saddam's arrest.

Read the rest here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031216/wl_nm/iraq_saddam_vatican_dc_2
Ah, yes. Is this the same group of people who showed compassion by telling one of my friends that she had to stay married even though her husband beat her because she was married in a church? Or the same group of people who showed compassion by covering up molestation? Or perhaps the same group who so compassionately hit me with a ruler because I was left handed? Or the same group of men who told me that I was a sinner because my parents were divorced. Or....never mind.

I was born and raised a catholic. I cannot say that every priest, cardinal or member of the church has acted disreputably because I don't believe that's true. But, overall, their leadership as a whole is no image of compassion themselves. It is not compassionate to be judgmental and misogynist and fail to discipline those who commit crimes. To all catholics I wish you peace in your faith and I truly hope that it brings you comfort. But as for lessons in compassion, I'll not accept them from a cardinal.

Eric, I respect your beliefs, and this not an attack, I'm just trying to get a discussion going...

I was just wondering what it is that draws you to the Catholic church, since you said you are a member by choice, not birth. I've been to a few different kinds of churches in the past few years and found the Catholic service to be rather depressing, to be honest. It seems as though, in the words of Kevin Smith, Catholics prefer to mourn their faith rather than celebrate it. In addition, I think a church or religion sticking to a strict dogma and taking the Bible as the end-all word of God is a dangerous thing, and in my opinion, no church exemplifies this more than the Catholic church. And I have to back up Moi's statements, my parents both enjoy going to church and it breaks my heart that they cannot be members of the church they grew up with because they are both divorcees. Catholics, to me, seem much more exclusionary and seem to be the first to damn someone they percieve as a sinner.

That said, what draws you to the Catholic Church? I was raised Methodist, so I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of the Catholic church, but I have been to quite a few services. Again, please don't take this as an attack, I'm the last person who would or should ever insult someone's spiritual beliefs.

Dan, do you live in the Bible Belt? I feel that there are far worse churches that label people as sinners, the first that springs to mind are the presbyterians. The conservative presbyterians here in Fayetteville, AR say that gay men are going to hell and believe it is something out of choice. Also, long haired people are going straight to hell and the same goes for women with short hair. Overall my experience with the Catholic church has been pleasant. Something I've wondered is just how many cases of child molestation are there? I watch and read and listen to hours of news a day, but I don't believe I've ever heard a single number.

He deserves to be treated as less than a cow. And whatever official that said that is screwed in the head.
Eric you are right, who ever was involved in that nasty little scandal should be put in prison. For a very long time. I personally have no use for religeon. Its never been my bag. But unlike some demoninations, i dont push what i believe off on to anyone. Not that i dont have anything to do with it. I personally cook for large scale events at my moms church, 200-400 people. but thats as close as i get to it.

treated like a cow....LOL

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
The conservative presbyterians here in Fayetteville, AR say that gay men are going to hell and believe it is something out of choice. Also, long haired people are going straight to hell and the same goes for women with short hair.

The Bible states, in numerous places, that homosexuals, along with people who make other choices about how to live their lives, will not enter into God's kingdom. It also states that those who choose to live according to God's command and will for their lives will enter the kingdom of God.
As far as the hair issue... I have never heard anyone say that long-haired men or short-haired women are going to hell. In fact, the 20's pastor at my church as hair as long as Jesus! :)

Forum List

Back