Capital gains already subject to taxation at corporate level - half truth

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
The claim has often been made that a special, lower capital gains tax, is appropriate since taxation already occurs at the corporate level.

Whether or not you agree with the conclusion - the logic for this argument is undeniably sound for the tax on qualified dividends of corporations. A corporation earns income, they pay an income tax, and they pay part of that income to their shareholders - which is then taxed at the lower cap gain rate. Since only corporations doomed to failure would pay dividends for very long without posting a profit - they are paying those dividends out of funds that have been taxed.

On the other hand - the profit from buying and selling of capital assets do not necessarily reflect income that has already been taxed. Two reasons:

1) not all capital assets that are taxed according to the long term capital gains tax are profit generating corporations. For instance - bonds. If you buy and sell a bond at a profit, that profit didn't come from a company making money, it never got taxed.

2) the profit made from selling a stock does not always come from the company's earnings. If you buy company XYZ for $100, and it goes up to $150 because of what the market thinks its future earnings might be, your $50 profit has not already been taxed as income because it is based on the market projection of income rather than realized income.

So I don't really buy the argument.

I'm no authority on the tax code, but I believe you are taxed on net gain of capital so the aurgument od being taxed again isn't true.

The argument is that your gain has already been taxed at the corporate level.

This is true for dividends, as dividends come from corporate profit, which has already been taxed.

Forum List

Back