Cantor pulls out of Biden debt talks

The GOP held Congress during the late 90s wouldn't let Clinton spend like he wanted to. AND they passed the legislation that completely changed our welfare state.

Reality check: of the three major deficit-reducing budgets passed in the 1990s (all passed via the budget reconciliation process), two of them--the larger two, in fact--were passed by Democratic Congresses.

Picture+6.png
We aren't IN the 90's any longer. Wake up.

The GOP held Congress during the late 90s wouldn't let Clinton spend like he wanted to. AND they passed the legislation that completely changed our welfare state.

Reality check: of the three major deficit-reducing budgets passed in the 1990s (all passed via the budget reconciliation process), two of them--the larger two, in fact--were passed by Democratic Congresses.

Picture+6.png

Too bad they weren't willing to do this back when Reagan was president, or now under the big O. The 1st one was done under Bush41 when he famously agreed to raise taxes after the "Read my lips" promise. Cost him his job. The second one was done under Clinton, which was when they trimmed defense spending and raised taxes again. The 3rd was also done under Clinton with a GOP Congress, that time they cut taxes AND spending and damn near balanced the budget. I give Clinton credit for working with the GOP to the betterment of the country, we'll see if Obama does the same.

Too bad they weren't willing to do this back when Reagan was president, or now under the big O. The 1st one was done under Bush41 when he famously agreed to raise taxes after the "Read my lips" promise. Cost him his job. The second one was done under Clinton, which was when they trimmed defense spending and raised taxes again.

Both deficit-reducing budgets passed by the Democratic Congresses contained a mix of tax increases and spending cuts. That's why they reduced the deficit by more than the BBA of 1997 (more than the BBA was supposed to, I mean; certainly those earlier budgets cut the deficit more than the BBA actually did). At present, it seems the Democrats are again seeking a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. Republicans are reportedly unwilling to compromise on a mix, which is why the Biden talks seems to have collapsed.

The 3rd was also done under Clinton with a GOP Congress, that time they cut taxes AND spending and damn near balanced the budget. I give Clinton credit for working with the GOP to the betterment of the country, we'll see if Obama does the same.

Looking back at the CBO's analysis of that legislation in 1997, the deficit impact at the end of the '90s/beginning of the '00s was supposed to be:

• FY98: Net increase in the deficit of $200 million
  • FY99: $12.6 billion in deficit reduction
  • FY00: $35 billion in deficit reduction (note that some of the Medicare cuts that were to account for this reduction were eliminated by the Balanced Budget Refinement Act of 1999)
  • FY01: $18.2 billion in deficit reduction

This, by the way, is why the graph in that CRS report shows the BBA having very little impact on the deficit until after Year Four of its implementation. As you may recall FY98 was the first year of the surplus, despite the fact that the BBA was adding to the deficit at that point.

In reality, the large deficit reductions in the BBA were scheduled to start taking place in FY02 and thereafter (two-thirds of which was to come from cuts to federal health spending in FY02 and virtually all of which was to come from those sources in subsequent years). Of course, Congress began overriding those Medicare cuts manually in 2003 and has been doing so ever since--the "doc fix" to cope with the BBA's broken SGR formula that we're still stuck with today.

So no, it's not correct to suggest that the BBA "damn near balanced the budget" when 1) the budget came into balance before any of the BBA's deficit reductions began, and 2) its major deficit reduction impact was designed to kick in beginning in the early '00s but the Republican Congress in those years began the precedent of simply manually overriding those provisions every year before they could take effect. If the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 is the best example of Republican fiscal responsibility you can produce, that's a rather powerful indictment of the party.

Last edited:
Soooo, everything is on the table except rolling back the rich man's tax cuts? I love the way Canyousee me? Cantor plays the political game.

Hey....times are tough and we ALL have to make sacrifices

Well except for you know who

How the GOP sells their same old song to middle America, I will never know. It is like they are spreading some kind of mind empowerment drug...

It's a spending problem.

Remember when Reagan agreed to raise taxes if the Dems would agree to cut spending? He did, but they didn't, the Dems want what they want whether the gov't has the money or not. It's like an addict on crack, they spend and they spend and they spend until somebody makes them stop. Well, it's about time to say stop. If not now, when?

It's a spending problem. In case you forgot already. From what I hear, they've already agreed to some cuts, now it's about including tax increases of one nature or another. Which the GOP will not do, and for good reason. If the economy turns around and in 2-3 years things are rolling, then you might start raising taxes a little. But not now, in the middle of a recession. Which it is no matter what they say.

One more time, it's a spending problem.

When did Reagan Raise taxes?

Here's the History of the top and bottom tax rates since they started collecting them.

National Taxpayers Union - History of Federal Individual Income Bottom and Top Bracket Rates

So in short... you are talking out of your ass... Unless he raised them on the middle brackets(which wouldn't surprise me).

It's a spending problem.

Remember when Reagan agreed to raise taxes if the Dems would agree to cut spending? He did, but they didn't, the Dems want what they want whether the gov't has the money or not. It's like an addict on crack, they spend and they spend and they spend until somebody makes them stop. Well, it's about time to say stop. If not now, when?

It's a spending problem. In case you forgot already. From what I hear, they've already agreed to some cuts, now it's about including tax increases of one nature or another. Which the GOP will not do, and for good reason. If the economy turns around and in 2-3 years things are rolling, then you might start raising taxes a little. But not now, in the middle of a recession. Which it is no matter what they say.

One more time, it's a spending problem.

When did Reagan Raise taxes?

Here's the History of the top and bottom tax rates since they started collecting them.

National Taxpayers Union - History of Federal Individual Income Bottom and Top Bracket Rates

So in short... you are talking out of your ass... Unless he raised them on the middle brackets(which wouldn't surprise me).

OH NO! Another republican lie! This must be a typo! :lol:

This isn't Obama's first budget. He basically passed all deficit measures off til well past his adminstration last time. He is ramping up more warlike actions, Obamacare will kick in soon, inflation will not stay dormant. Oh this is going to get real ugly real fast without major spending cuts.

Forum List

Back