Cantor pulls out of Biden debt talks

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
This morning we find out that House Majority leader Eric Cantor is withdrawing from negotiations over the debt ceiling talks, citing the dems unwillingness to move from thir stance on tax hikes. Cantor says a tax hike cannot pass the House and so he pulled out of the meetings.

My opinion, he can spout off about it, but walking away does not look good. Reminds me of the dems that left Wisconsin or Indiana a little bit, you're supposed to keep fighting and talking rather than quit. I'm sure this is an attempt to apply political pressure on the president, McConnell is already saying the president has to lead. Maybe it makes political sense, but could backfire if the public's perception is that the GOP is being too stubborn and uncooperative. People want results not finger pointing.

This morning we find out that House Majority leader Eric Cantor is withdrawing from negotiations over the debt ceiling talks, citing the dems unwillingness to move from thir stance on tax hikes. Cantor says a tax hike cannot pass the House and so he pulled out of the meetings.

My opinion, he can spout off about it, but walking away does not look good. Reminds me of the dems that left Wisconsin or Indiana a little bit, you're supposed to keep fighting and talking rather than quit. I'm sure this is an attempt to apply political pressure on the president, McConnell is already saying the president has to lead. Maybe it makes political sense, but could backfire if the public's perception is that the GOP is being too stubborn and uncooperative. People want results not finger pointing.

Good point.

It seems everyone wants to draw a hard line instead of negotiation.

And I say;

It's about fucking time people started sticking to what they beleive in.

Krist this is refreshing.

How damn dumb is it to raise taxes, raise the debt ceiling and not be accountable to spending? Ever?

Raising taxes on business will only get passed on to the rest of us in the form of increased cost to products and services.

of course the media spin of the party of no will be back, or some such non-factual blather.

I'm okay with it. Somebody needs to call Obama and the Dems on their disingenuous and faux attempts at bipartisanship.

“Each each side came into these talks with certain orders, and as it stands the Democrats continue to insist that any deal must include tax increases,” Cantor said in a statement. “There is not support in the House for a tax increase, and I don’t believe now is the time to raise taxes in light of our current economic situation. Regardless of the progress that has been made, the tax issue must be resolved before discussions can continue.”

“Given this impasse, I will not be participating in today’s meeting and I believe it is time for the President to speak clearly and resolve the tax issue. Once resolved, we have a blueprint to move forward to trillions of spending cuts and binding mechanisms to change the way things are done around here.”

Cantor pulls out of deficit talks - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

I support him backing out. It's high time we stopped caving in on fiscal issues. The uproar before the midterm elections was about spending too much, not about taxes being too low. Cantor is representing what led to his becoming majority leader.

I'd love to work on that project. A small group of sensible citizens could balance the budget now and forever by restructuring the government.

How soon will TM get up a post on Republican obstructionism and a Republican desire to trash the economy forever?

How soon will TM get up a post on Republican obstructionism and a Republican desire to trash the economy forever?

Repbulicans just want to starve seniors, kill baby seals, and beat redheaded stepchildren while putting minorities in the ghetto.

Did I do a good impression?

You forgot the most important part, give more money to the rich at the expense of the working class.

Repbulicans just want to starve seniors, kill baby seals, and beat redheaded stepchildren while putting minorities in the ghetto.

Did I do a good impression?

You forgot the most important part, give more money to the rich at the expense of the working class.

how could i forget the evil rich people and the devilish corporations! My bad.

Biden was put in charge in insulate Obama. It is SOP for Obama to feign interest in negoiating, then return to a hardline. As long as Republicans stick to their guns, either a compromise or a major revision in US currency will result. Both are needed.

I for one hope neither side negotiates so nothing gets done, the debt ceiling stays where it is, and we actually are forced to deal with our debt as a result.

im ready for the band aid to come off and the painful reprocussions.

Last edited:
I agree...it would be better if he would have called for a press conference and spelled out his case that Obama/Biden are not serious about reducing debt, but actually want to RAISE the amount we borrow.
This would have had a greater affect than announcing he is boycotting his job.

What makes Cantor think that his political mandate is no compromise?

I think cantor's problem was that the white house was unwilling to compromise so he figured he would do the same and pull out.

Im glad TBH, I hope we get NOTHING done and have to deal with the difficult consequences, i just dont see us getting anywhere dealing with our national debt crisis any other way.

Sen John Kyl also has left the talks, so there are no more repubs left.

This was planned.
So now we have a concerted effort on the pub side.
The Dems have to be careful here - if they complain that the pubs are unwilling to work it out - then obviously this will backlash with the pubs coming out (rightfully so) and pointing at the Dems for doing it in full concert.

Soo...in essence, one again our elected "leaders" fail us. On both sides.

Forum List

Back