Canning & preserving

We have to cut the grass for him before he'll eat it. He was spoiled on sweet feed and hand feeding too long and has just started eating grass. But you have to cut it or he won't touch it. He's picky.

- Jeri

I took this photo the other day. It is a better close up of his face. He is a beautiful bull. Great personality too! My best buddy!

Awwwwwww....

I was very attached to one of our milk cows that I raised from 3 days old.

The thing is, when she was 700 lbs she still ran towards me bawling and kicking and throwing her head around, just like she did when she was 50 lbs!

:eek:

I've had cow feet clack about 2 inches from my ears on more than one occasion...they sound like castanets.

I did it! That is my garden. To the far right is where my pet bulls lean to is. He came over the fence on other side ( no barbed wire there ) and walked through the middle of my garden the other night. Getting him back in was quite a fiasco. Anyhow, that is why the right side of the garden is wiped out. Those were string beans. He ate them all. - Jeri

:clap2:

good job on posting the pic!!!

and i am SO jealous of your garden!!!!

If you're going to keep him, you need to get a ring for his nose.

I have field envy.

We had a Santa Gertrudis/angus bully.

He was a mean sob. When he was a year, he was dinner...before he could get any REAL size on him. His grandfather was a S. G. bull named "Hillary" whose shoulders, when he was laying down chewing his cut, were about chin high to me when I was 14.

All our pictures of our bully were taken from a distance, lol.

And he went through fences too. And our milk cows would all follow him, up into the neighbors' yards (if we were lucky) where they would decimate their fruit trees...

Or, alternately, up the John Day River and into BLM land, where I would have to follow them and bring them back.

Not fun.

No, my bull is a sweetheart. Your bulls must not have been bottle fed. Now my bull will charge someone in the field if he don't know you but I know how to stop him so he will come to a halt on a dime. I have to watch opening a cowgate and getting between gate and barbed wire but I get in the there with him, he loves to have his neck scratched and rub up against me. He is a big baby. He thinks I'm his mother. He adores me. lol...

I'd like to get some training for him to do a few things but I doubt he'll be running an obstacle course or anything. We are raising red angus cattle but they will never be pets. He is. He will be with me until he goes to heaven. Jeremiah had a bull. Not a bullfrog. Who knew?

:eusa_angel:

- Jeri

I took this photo the other day. It is a better close up of his face. He is a beautiful bull. Great personality too! My best buddy!

Awwwwwww....

I was very attached to one of our milk cows that I raised from 3 days old.

The thing is, when she was 700 lbs she still ran towards me bawling and kicking and throwing her head around, just like she did when she was 50 lbs!

:eek:

I've had cow feet clack about 2 inches from my ears on more than one occasion...they sound like castanets.

Isn't that cute? People have no idea what they are missing! Animals are the best. I love them all.

My bull ran towards me yesterday while I was trying to take his picture so finally I had to go to the other side of fence to make him stand still. Otherwise they come out blurry. He was just excited to see me, like your cow was to see you. When they get to 7 - 800 lbs they are still a baby but you have to treat them like a teenager. They don't know their own strength.

I did it! That is my garden. To the far right is where my pet bulls lean to is. He came over the fence on other side ( no barbed wire there ) and walked through the middle of my garden the other night. Getting him back in was quite a fiasco. Anyhow, that is why the right side of the garden is wiped out. Those were string beans. He ate them all. - Jeri

Thank you, Syrenn. It is alot of work but it is worth it once it gets going! - Jeri p.s. thank you for telling me how to post the photo on this board also. I appreciate it.

aaaawwwww

He loves women! If you talk baby talk to him he will say Moooo! He will come right to you when you talk to him. He just melts your heart. He loves attention!

we have a friend who has texas long horns..... BIG damn cows! the bull was called Big Time... and holy shit he thought he was a puppy. The first time i met him....i was carrying the bucked of treats... and OMG... he came running at a full charge. :eek:

So from WAY over there...i could barely hear him.... rick is screaming..... "pick up a stick!!! pick up a stick!" ... wtf.... so i picked up this stick that looked like a piece of spaghetti and held it out....and Big Time stopped dead in his tracks. :lmao:

Thank you, Syrenn. It is alot of work but it is worth it once it gets going! - Jeri p.s. thank you for telling me how to post the photo on this board also. I appreciate it.

i know its a lot of work! .... but i would love to have space to do that. Me ...i am container growing in stolen space at work. LOL

any time.... there is always help out there...all you have to do is ask. Just make sure your photo bucket does not have your real name on it...and it is set to private

aaaawwwww

He loves women! If you talk baby talk to him he will say Moooo! He will come right to you when you talk to him. He just melts your heart. He loves attention!

we have a friend who has texas long horns..... BIG damn cows! the bull was called Big Time... and holy shit he thought he was a puppy. The first time i met him....i was carrying the bucked of treats... and OMG... he came running at a full charge. :eek:

So from WAY over there...i could barely hear him.... rick is screaming..... "pick up a stick!!! pick up a stick!" ... wtf.... so i picked up this stick that looked like a piece of spaghetti and held it out....and Big Time stopped dead in his tracks. :lmao:

I didn't get a stick, darnit!

jeremiah has cow manure for his garden, too.

Cool.

Cool.

im sure if he had not stopped at the stick... rick would have shot him. I am not sure the stick would have worked on your bull... but it worked for him.

No, the stick wouldn't have worked, lol. Jeremiah your bull is only a baby still. He'll get bigger, and smarter, and more bully...be careful!

Today's work (or part of it):

005_zpscb993f64.jpg

Pork on the left, beans on the right. Not beautiful, but quick dinners I will be grateful for at a later date.....

Looks great, Koshergirl! Very nice. I have a huge garden so I can everything pretty much. I can tomatoes, okra pickles, squash pickles, green beans, pear preserves, I grow my own peppers for pickled squash and that kind of thing - I also have pear, apple, peach trees and can those - blackberry jam - all of that. I can when I take anything out of the garden in bulk. It is very fresh. So you noticed the difference between canned food and store bought food, eh? You don't have all of those preservatives and junk in there. What you are tasting is the actual food. Best way to store food, imo.

-Jeri

*perks up*

did you say.... pare preserves? recipe or it did not happen!!

:tongue:

Sorry so late in answering this! I just came online, Syrenn. Here is recipe for pear preserves.

Peel September pears from a September pear tree - until you fill up a 4 or 5 gallon pot - size you'd can in. Pour 4 pounds of sugar over the top and let it sit over night. The juices will begin to sit on the bottom and you will be cooking it in the pear juice and sugar. Next day put it on stove, bring it to a low boil - simmer and with a wooden spoon - stir it. Keep an eye on it and keep stirring while you are getting your canning material ready. Boil your jars and your lids. You are going to be cooking this down for a long time so just watch for it do get a darker brown color and drip off the spoon like syrup. The slices of pears will be seen through - transparent almost - also - make sure you cut those pears into chunks like you'd pull an tangerine apart and see. That is good enough. When its ready pour it into your jars - put your rings on - the lid sealed down and eventually you'll hear them start popping. They are good for about 7 yrs. on your shelf. Some people say longer but I like to play it safe. - Jeri

No, the stick wouldn't have worked, lol. Jeremiah your bull is only a baby still. He'll get bigger, and smarter, and more bully...be careful!

Today's work (or part of it):

005_zpscb993f64.jpg

Pork on the left, beans on the right. Not beautiful, but quick dinners I will be grateful for at a later date.....

thanks, Koshergirl. I'm careful with him. You did a very good job with the canning. Your food is going to taste so much better that way. I hate store bought food out of a can or frozen. Yuck. It's cheaper to grow it anyhow.

The beans are still swelling in the jar...I won't have so much liquid or headspace by the time they're finished, I think.

I didn't fill enough. My first pressure canning was green beans and I kept losing all the water out of the jars; I thought it was because I was overfilling so I developed a paranoia about filling them too full.

In retrospect, I think it was just that the temp fluctuated too much.

aaaawwwww

I want some long horns. I like the big ones. I originally wanted to raise Buffalo as the meat is leaner. Ted Turner was big on that and opened a restaurant chain. I think they are magnificent animals. Beautiful. Their heads are huge. The Red Angus Bulls and Heifers are huge - this one is a prize - a rancher friend of mine said it was a the finest looking bull he had ever seen. He will be twice this size grown, Syrenn.

Your story about the stick is hysterical! It reminds me of a story my aunt told me. She said they all took a trip to Ireland years ago to visit a cousin. The cousin said when you come up to the farm you'll see our dog. Just remember the bible character Luke. Yell Luke and he will stop in his tracks. If he doesn't hear his name he will become aggressive. lol.

So my grandmother, grandfather, aunt and cousins pile out of this car to visit the cousin. They get out of the car, gather their luggage and suddenly here comes this massive dog! He is barking and charging right towards them! My grandfather yells Jesus, Mary, Joseph, my aunt yells Mark, Simon Peter, then someone yelled LUKE! And he stopped dead in his tracks! lol. They almost ran through half the bible characters of the New Testament before they got it right! Thank God! - Jeri

I made the mistake of trying to bond my Great Pyrenees pup with our cows.

It didn't work out too well. They tried to bond him to the dirt....

there are two things to remember about cows...

Well there are more than two but for now, just two...

1. If a calf makes a particular bawling noise, every mama cow and every bull in the pasture is going to go on the warpath. Every head will come up and they will come on the run.

2. If you have a dog in the field and the cows are chasing it, it's going to hide behind you...and cows just don't care.

You're welcome, lol.

Cool.

im sure if he had not stopped at the stick... rick would have shot him. I am not sure the stick would have worked on your bull... but it worked for him.

Well some people use a small stick that has an electric zap that does not hurt them but they don't like it. I don't use one of those. I clap my hands if I want him to back off. If I pick up a stick he will think it is one of those and the rancher I bought him from did have one. That is why the long horn stopped when you picked up the stick. He knows what that is. - Jeri

Forum List

Back