Canadian Submarine In Distress Off Irish Coast

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I hope they'll be okay..

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/afp/20041005/wl_afp/britain_ireland_canada

Canadian submarine in distress off Irish coast: British navy

5 minutes ago World - AFP

LONDON (AFP) - A Canadian submarine sent a distress signal from the North Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Ireland, the British navy said, adding that a military rescue operation was under way.

A helicopter left the Royal Air Force's Prestwick base in Scotland, and a Nimrod long-range sea patrol plane was being dispatched to the Chicoutimi submarine, located 100 nautical miles (180 kilometers) northwest of Ireland, the navy spokesman told AFP.

"We are responding and assisting," he said, without elaborating on the non-nuclear-powered submarine's problem.

The BBC reported that there had been a fire aboard, and cited other reports that three crew members were suffering from smoke inhalation.

In Ireland, the marine ministry said it had been asked by British authorities to prepare a refueling facility for possible use.

The Chicoutimi, an Upholder Class diesel-electric-propelled submarine, is one of four which were built for the British Royal Navy in the 1980s, then sold in refitted form in 2000 to Canada.

DKSuddeth said:
this is a complete and utter shock to me. I'd have never thought that Canada had a sub fleet. :scratch:

Canada bought some used ones from Britain in 1998. Apparently they aren't in the greatest shape, and have been very costly to repair and maintain - the Chicoutimi being one of them (they did have a small fleet before these though).

I hope everything works out ok. Poor guys, not a good place to be trapped.

MrMarbles said:
Why does Canada need submarines?

Gee Marbles, maybe has it something to do with sharing the responsibility of home land security (both ours and US).

This was the Chicoutimi's first time out since it was purchased for the Canadian Military....not bad eh?

rtwngAvngr said:
To go underwater for sustained periods of time...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Funny stuff!

I appreciate that Canada is trying, but if they want to play with subs they need to step up to the plate and buy one from us.

I really don't know why Canada is fooling around with diesel subs; nuke boats are the only way to go. Eventually the diesel boats have to resurface to recharge the batteries and therefore are vulnerable because you can't always choose when you absolutely have to resurface. Bad news when there's Destroyers waiting for you to bob up topside.

I hope everything works out for those Sailors.

MrMarbles said:
Why does Canada need submarines?

ROFLMAO

Sux that their one of their two subs is in distress.. .:p

On a serious note, I do hope they get the sailors out okay..

-Cp said:
ROFLMAO

Sux that their one of their two subs is in distress.. .:p

On a serious note, I do hope they get the sailors out okay..

The sub in distress is one of four boats leased from the British. These subs were built in the 1990s and the deal cost Canada about $800 million. http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/10/05/657129-cp.html Due to their smaller size compared to nuke boats, diesel-electric subs are thought to be superior for coastal waters. Nighttrain mentioned, "if they want to play with subs they need to step up to the plate and buy one from us." For the money spent on these four diesel-electric subs, the Canadians would have been hard pressed to purchase the conning tower of a single new nuke boat from America. New Virginia class nuclear attack submarines cost more than $2.7 billion per boat. The US Navy plans to acquire 30 Virginia class subs for an estimated $83.2 billion (approximately ten times the total annual Canadian military budget).

http://nationaldefense.ndia.org/article.cfm?Id=1615

Gee Marbles, maybe has it something to do with sharing the responsibility of home land security (both ours and US).

They are old and out of date. I think our money may have been better spent, thats all. Training, technology, etc...

MrMarbles said:
They are old and out of date. I think our money may have been better spent, thats all. Training, technology, etc...

What does canada need training and technology for?

MrMarbles said:

Ok, it was a little hard to tell by your response. Seemed a little on the sarcastic side. I'm on to you anyway, I know your really a brat! :funnyface

MrMarbles said:

Maybe you can use em to sneak up those baby seals easier !

I get the feeling the "official commission of inquiry" will try and pin the blame on the sailors themselves....in other words it is to be a scapegoat search. Why don't they admit the boat was not ready....because the old boys network will be under scrutiny as a result.

Wolfe said:
I get the feeling the "official commission of inquiry" will try and pin the blame on the sailors themselves....in other words it is to be a scapegoat search. Why don't they admit the boat was not ready....because the old boys network will be under scrutiny as a result.

I disagree. Canada has a long history of absolving individual acts, whether justly, or not. Point-case, is the Somolia where the soliders were court marshalled, but also the commander of the airborne regiment was relieved of his command and in addition the regiment itself was disbanded. Another incident was a headline-issue about hazing where the commanding officer was again relieved of duty.

I think Canada will send the subs back to the UK. They were a waste when we got them and nothing has changed. Frankly, right now, it looks bad for both of our countries. Unfortunately it took an innocent sailor to awaken the minds of the higher ups to this failure.

Forum List

Back