Can You Relate to the Class of 2017?

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Can you relate to class of 2017? See how new crop of college... | www.ajc.com

<Beloit College, in Beloit, Wisc., has released its annual &#8220;Mindset List,&#8221; which lists 75 cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall. We&#8217;ve compiled our 10 favorites. Check out the full list on Beloit&#8217;s website.>

1. Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents&#8217; weekend.

2. Having a chat has seldom involved talking.

3. With GPS, they&#8217;ve never needed directions to get someplace, just an address.

3. They have known only two presidents.

4. They could always get rid of their outdated toys on eBay.

5. Rites of passage have more to do with having their own cell phone and Skype accounts than with getting a driver&#8217;s license and car.

6. They have never really needed to go to their friend&#8217;s house so they could study together.

7. They may have been introduced to video games with a new Sony PlayStation left in their cribs by their moms.

9. A tablet is no longer something you take in the morning.

10. They have always known that there are &#8220;five hundred, twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes&#8221; in a year>

Would their parents have been born in the mid 80's? If the parents shared any 'history' with them we might have some common ground.

Last edited:
When I was a freshman in college I worked on a typewriter with the sliding platen and keys that would all bunch together if you typed too fast.

The scary thought is that people in the class of 2017 today will be reminiscing about quaint, old-fashioned things like cell phones and laptops when their own kids are in college, and their kids won't know what the hell they are talking about.

I took typing in high school--never really could type well. all the carbons and then the white out. I managed to pound out enough for a couple of degrees.

I don't think I would enjoy tweeting--tiny little keyboards--but if the 'newer models' grow up with that ability--right on!

I hope the class of 2017 can do something about 'entertainment'--the TV--which ? might become extinct.

lol--I think I was 6, maybe 7 when we got our first TV. 'Brand New' invention. Disney was great, Ed Sullivan, the Lone Ranger. And it went off the air before midnight.

and with all the technology--people who understand it will be needed--to help 'the others', like me.

I know QT must hire some of the brightest and most courteous young people. Hope the class of 2017 is primarily 'like that'.

I took typing in high school--never really could type well. all the carbons and then the white out. I managed to pound out enough for a couple of degrees.

I don't think I would enjoy tweeting--tiny little keyboards--but if the 'newer models' grow up with that ability--right on!

I hope the class of 2017 can do something about 'entertainment'--the TV--which ? might become extinct.

lol--I think I was 6, maybe 7 when we got our first TV. 'Brand New' invention. Disney was great, Ed Sullivan, the Lone Ranger. And it went off the air before midnight.

and with all the technology--people who understand it will be needed--to help 'the others', like me.

I know QT must hire some of the brightest and most courteous young people. Hope the class of 2017 is primarily 'like that'.

Good lord, you are less than a generation below me. Let's see, memories that leave blank stares from the present generation. "Only the shadow knows". The whiney of the horse at the start of the William Tell Overture. The sound of a creaking stair on the radio. 78 and 45 vinyl. Big cabinet style multiband radios, that included shortwave bands.

Rites of passage. Your first year that you were big enough to work bucking bales. Your first car, usually something you picked up for a few dollars, and worked on daily to keep it running. The first time that you were allowed to hunt alone with a high powered rifle. And the look your Dad gave you as he stated "Be careful". That was not a request, that was an order, one you had damned well pay attention to. Yes, things were differant then. As differant as what my grandparents life was from mine.

my first job--'66--just before college--selling lingerie at Sears---the 'original' cash registers.

It was the 'summer of love' --I sold paper dresses--wore them. On Saturday nights at this particular Sears--in a funky part of town, even then--we had esoteric customers. ? Transgender--who knows--I was a retail professional --whatever the customer wanted.

Good training. We wore black, black and white and navy.

It really 'stuns' me--that I am Paula Deen's age---and share some history--Georgia--but I grew up in Atlanta---wish I had grown up to emulate her business acumen. 'Mean enough'---might have told my brother to watch his step or something.

Other than that--hats off to you, Paula. I would compare myself, perhaps egoistically, to Julia Roberts--if I had to select someone from GA.

Go figure. lol.

I'll be 59 in January. Our daughter (hopefully) will graduate college in 2017. Or 2018.
Whatever.
I used a damn slide rule in high school.

The children of today who will succeed tomorrow are the ones who let their own minds do the thinking, and who will utilize electro-processing to their advantage.

I'll be 59 in January. Our daughter (hopefully) will graduate college in 2017. Or 2018.
Whatever.
I used a damn slide rule in high school.

The children of today who will succeed tomorrow are the ones who let their own minds do the thinking, and who will utilize electro-processing to their advantage.

Over 40 years ago, in my first go at college, I used a slide rule. Now use a graphing calculator. Wonderful machine, makes it so much easier to visualize the math. However, on the down side, also makes it so we go much faster and cover more ground in a quarter. If all goes well, I should graduate in 2016, unless I retire, and take a full load. Just two classes per quarter now.

This generation have no idea of the power the net gives them in doing research. Things that took me days searching through the cards, and then trying to pick out the revelent parts of the books, I can do in minutes on google scholar and other search engines. The young people who really use this wonder to it's limits will lead us in directions we cannot even imagine. Being in classes with some of them is truly an eye opener.

I never used a calculator in school, but when I got into the Army Missile school I was made to buy one. It didn't kill me. I am ready for the new stuff I like where it is going.
We didn't have ice men either when I was growing up or milk delivery.

Forum List

Back