Can we agree on a basic outline?

Middleoftheroad

Jul 17, 2011
Texas
Long term spending and taxing rate, I suggest 19% of GDP spending 20% of GDP taxing. This will give us a 1% Surplus per year to pay down the debt.
The question isn't is this what you want, the question is would you find this acceptable.

I figure this is less spending then the liberals want and higher taxes then the conservatives want, but hopefully in an area that we can at least find acceptable to both sides.

I figure this is less spending then the liberals want and higher taxes then the conservatives want, but hopefully in an area that we can at least find acceptable to both sides.

who is going to be taxed? Everyone?

It doesn't go into any specifics which is why I am calling it an outline. If it is acceptable to both sides, it at least gives us a starting point from which to work forward from.

Why is everyone always able to just accept that we need to Raise Taxes at all? Descretionary spending is up under Obama almost 30%, If we simply stopped all the NEW spending he has committed us to, Spending would decrease by 30%.

You people do Realize no matter how much money we give the Government, They will spend all of it, and then some. The Answer is not to throw more money down the Federal Drain, The Answer is to get those Idiots in DC to learn to live with in their Means, and stop tossing Billions down the Drain to Reward Campaign Donors.

Why is everyone always able to just accept that we need to Raise Taxes at all? Descretionary spending is up under Obama almost 30%, If we simply stopped all the NEW spending he has committed us to, Spending would decrease by 30%.

You people do Realize no matter how much money we give the Government, They will spend all of it, and then some. The Answer is not to throw more money down the Federal Drain, The Answer is to get those Idiots in DC to learn to live with in their Means, and stop tossing Billions down the Drain to Reward Campaign Donors.

I proposed 19% of GDP spending which is FAR lower then the 26% (I think) that it is at now.

Long term spending and taxing rate, I suggest 19% of GDP spending 20% of GDP taxing. This will give us a 1% Surplus per year to pay down the debt.
The question isn't is this what you want, the question is would you find this acceptable.

Arbitrary setting spending rates and tax rates is stupid.

I see so you want 20% unemployment because government has to adhere to your stupid idea that it should immulate a hosuehold

I see so you want 20% unemployment because government has to adhere to your stupid idea that it should immulate a hosuehold

So just devalue the dollar, borrow and spend more, huh? idiot :cuckoo:

Well I say as long as stories such as GSA and Solyndra are surfacing no new taxes,, the money is clearly squandered by the millions. cut all of congress pay until they give us a balanced budget.

How can a find vague promises acceptable? How do you propose to keep Congress from spending more than 19% of GDP? What happens during economic downturns when revenue goes down, are their automatic spending cuts that cannot be overturned? If the government takes in more than 20% in revenue do we get a refund?

How can a find vague promises acceptable? How do you propose to keep Congress from spending more than 19% of GDP? What happens during economic downturns when revenue goes down, are their automatic spending cuts that cannot be overturned? If the government takes in more than 20% in revenue do we get a refund?

The question is would that goal be acceptable to you. If both sides came together and agreed that ever year they would shrink spending compared to GDP until it reached 19% would you find that acceptable.
As far as the refund thing. Sure I don't have a problem with that, although if evenly divided between all sources (personal and business) I doubt it would ever be noticeable.

So just devalue the dollar, borrow and spend more, huh? idiot :cuckoo:

Notice the Eurozone is now back in recession has higher debts and more unemployment since they began implementing asperity. It is pathetic that you think reality is idiotic

Well I say as long as stories such as GSA and Solyndra are surfacing no new taxes,, the money is clearly squandered by the millions. cut all of congress pay until they give us a balanced budget.

See this is your problem you cherry pick the data in order to make your side look reasonable

Top 25 Largest Banks - with Highest Default Rate Home Loan Portfolios - Quarterly
Brookings: "DOE
^Even though Solyndra went bankrupt the government is not expected to lose any money due to the agreements in its loan guarantees. The assets of bankrupt companies are rewarded to the government and Solyndras assets are around 300million more than the governments loan.
^Government green energy loans creates 4-8$ in private lending for every 1$ of government investment.
^Government green energy loans default rate is anywhere from 0-20 times lower than private lending

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52739.pdf
^9 billion dollars used for wind/solar grants created 75,000 jobs, and 25billion dollars in increased economic activity.

The question is would that goal be acceptable to you. If both sides came together and agreed that ever year they would shrink spending compared to GDP until it reached 19% would you find that acceptable.
As far as the refund thing. Sure I don't have a problem with that, although if evenly divided between all sources (personal and business) I doubt it would ever be noticeable.

No, the question is how we achieve that goal. Good intentions are squat, I want details.

By the way, you do not want to set taxes at 20% of GDP, you want to set revenue at that level.

No, the question is how we achieve that goal. Good intentions are squat, I want details.

By the way, you do not want to set taxes at 20% of GDP, you want to set revenue at that level.

The question is not how to achieve it. In the current political situation neither side can agree with the other on anything. In a lot of cases either side can't even agree with themselves on what they want.
In order to find solutions on how to achieve a goal, you first must have a goal. We have heard conservatives throw out some numbers, but their numbers don't even match each other. I haven't heard much from the liberals on what they would like to see. So first we need to decide on what that goal is before we can move forward.

1 Person threw out spending at 18%. None of the rest of you can even throw out numbers at what you think it should be.
Got it. You are more concerned about bitching about the other side, then setting goals and trying to achieve them.

Forum List

Back