Can Trump issue an EO to suspend the mandate in Obamacare?

Not sure what the limitations of the Executive Order are. If he can and he acts as if its so bad why hasn't he?
Are you suggesting that, in the face of a dysfunctional congress, the president has a pen and a phone and should avail himself of his executive powers, and that would not only be a good thing, but a respectable and noble thing to do?

Trump is turing out to be a very ineffective president. No one in government or media will support him. And only 7 months in power. We are in a pickle.

BTW, McCain continues to be a jerk.

• Banned
Not sure what the limitations of the Executive Order are. If he can and he acts as if its so bad why hasn't he?
Are you suggesting that, in the face of a dysfunctional congress, the president has a pen and a phone and should avail himself of his executive powers, and that would not only be a good thing, but a respectable and noble thing to do?
No I am not. I am asking if he has the authority to do it.

No I am not. I am asking if he has the authority to do it.
If it was an EO to start with then yes, but since it's part of law passed by Congress then no, that would be seriously overstepping his presidential authority hence illegal.

He already did his first day in office!!! Where have you been?
The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

Trump is turing out to be a very ineffective president. No one in government or media will support him. And only 7 months in power. We are in a pickle.

I disagree. Yes, the President has a mostly hostile media, but what else is new? So did President Bush 43. But the House has been with President Trump fairly consistently as have 49 Senators. Because the margin of GOP majority in the Senate is so narrow, three senators who should really be registered Democrats because there is so little conservative or Republican about them have the ability to stall anything significant from happening. And so far they pretty much have.

So in 2018 we need to add some more conservative Republicans to the Senate and maintain the majority in the House. Then we can get something done.

I will say that the GOP has disappointed me though. It's easy to be the loyal opposition when you have no power to do anything about it because the President will veto anything you pass. But now when they are without excuse they have proven to be unprepared to lead. I understand why they didn't spend hundreds of hours of time, expense, and effort to create a healthcare package when pretty much everybody in the world was convinced that Hillary would win the election and therefore anything they did would be declared dead on arrival.

They were wholly unprepared for a President Trump who actually thinks the government should fix problems and is prepared to do so.

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal

EXECUTIVE ORDER

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

That did nothing, he cannot get rid of the mandate without it going back through legislation.

I disagree. Yes, the President has a mostly hostile media, but what else is new? So did President Bush 43. But the House has been with President Trump fairly consistently as have 49 Senators. Because the margin of GOP majority in the Senate is so narrow, three senators who should really be registered Democrats because there is so little conservative or Republican about them have the ability to stall anything significant from happening. And so far they pretty much have.

So in 2018 we need to add some more conservative Republicans to the Senate and maintain the majority in the House. Then we can get something done.

I will say that the GOP has disappointed me though. It's easy to be the loyal opposition when you have no power to do anything about it because the President will veto anything you pass. But now when they are without excuse they have proven to be unprepared to lead. I understand why they didn't spend hundreds of hours of time, expense, and effort to create a healthcare package when pretty much everybody in the world was convinced that Hillary would win the election and therefore anything they did would be declared dead on arrival.

They were wholly unprepared for a President Trump who actually thinks the government should fix problems and is prepared to do so.

Yea, that's it, vote for someone in 2018 that promises repeal. How did that work?

The White House
For Immediate Release

January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

That did nothing, he cannot get rid of the mandate without it going back through legislation.
It gave the Secretary unlimited wavers!

Fifth grade civics 101: no. Congressional legislation trumps executive orders. Like it or not, the three branches of government are not literally equal in power, and the most powerful of the three is the legislative branch. It is because it can pass laws that the federal executive becomes legally bound to enforce and because it can enact constitutional legislation that, though it requires the concordance of 2/3rds of the states, the SCOTUS cannot overturn.

Fifth grade civics 101: no. Congressional legislation trumps executive orders. Like it or not, the three branches of government are not literally equal in power, and the most powerful of the three is the legislative branch. It is because it can pass laws that the federal executive becomes legally bound to enforce and because it can enact constitutional legislation that, though it requires the concordance of 2/3rds of the states, the SCOTUS cannot overturn.
The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited wavers.

The ACA allows wavers and Don THE Con's EO granted the Secretary unlimited wavers.
Could you be a bit more expositive, please? I just want to understand what you are talking about. I may or may not respond to your remarks.

Though I haven't any idea of what you've described, I know that if Trump could executively order away the mandate in the ACA, he'd have done so, and Congress wouldn't need to take up legislation to do so. That isn't why my earlier answer to the title question is "no;" it's just an ancillary inference.

Last edited:

What waivers?

Yea, that's it, vote for someone in 2018 that promises repeal. How did that work?

We have a substantial majority in the House who will repeal. We need to keep them. We have 47 or 48 reliable Senators in the Senate who will repeal. We need to keep them. There are three Senators who voted no. They need to go along with two or three others if we are really serious about this, and we also need to replace some Democrats with people who will actually do their jobs.

Last edited:

Wow. That's awesome.

We have a substantial majority in the House who will repeal. We need to keep them. We have 49 Senators in the Senate who will repeal. We need to keep them. There are three Senators who voted no. They need to go along with two or three others if we are really serious about this, and we also need to replace some Democrats with people who will actually do their jobs.

You are gonna have a fun year. The GOP will have to move left if they want to maintain control of both houses. Can they do it?

And....Why are you venturing out of your safe space? Did you bore yourself to death?

Forum List

Back