Can the US ever be united?

The political debate in the US seems to bitter these days....can the US ever be a united country again?

By united I don't mean that everyone would agree on everrything, but that people would accept the result of a democractic election, and see themselves as Americans first and members of a party second.

The reason this interests me is because in Europe I don't sense the same kind of division very often. It does happen - in Britain under Thatcher, perhaps France under Sakorzy or the end of the Toby Blair era in the UK - but by and large people consider themselves Finns or French or British first, and are proud of that. What party people voted for just isn't much of an issue in discussions around the water cooler.

The kind of loathing for liberalism and conservatism we see here seems almost uniquely American - why is that?

I often think about this subject. I watch a lot of documentaries containing WWI and WWII era film and I'm doubtful that we could ever unite as we did in those two efforts to accomplish a collective goal.
Certainly in the case of another world war or global threat I don't see it happening. On the heels of some catastrophic event we're still capable of putting our differences behind us and coming together but even in the case of the WTC attacks all that sentiment of unity was short lived. It would require a pretty horrific event and it would need to be repeated such as we saw with Hitler rolling into Poland, then on Czechoslovakia, then France, etc. And again, even in that event I don't hold out much hope that an overwhelming majority of Americans are capable of ever remaining united for long.
A big part of the problem is our media. Whether it be due to their own agenda or the much simpler possibility of an attempt to increase ratings, many within the media will always attempt to put their own spin on the same event and unfortunately, far too many people today trust their media outlet of choice to provide unbiased reporting of facts which is simply NOT what's being offered.
When we the people are united enough to stand up as one against the media puppet masters we MAY be ready to to take this nation back.

A big part of the problem is our media. Whether it be due to their own agenda or the much simpler possibility of an attempt to increase ratings, many within the media will always attempt to put their own spin on the same event and unfortunately, far too many people today trust their media outlet of choice to provide unbiased reporting of facts which is simply NOT what's being offered.

I do agree with this.

But I don't see that changing. The role of the media is so different now to during WWII.

To some extent this division is maybe worlwdide. My parents talk about WWII as a time when the people really were as one; they fought, drank, sang, worked and died together. Even if we were to face another war we wouldn't have that degree of total unity. There would be more dissent, more people who refused to fight, more people who questioned the motives.

I feel sad about that, but I am also happy to live in a country where we can question what our government does, all the same.

Oh, absolutely - I am sitting here right now wearing my Soviet military uniform and singing 'Keep The Ref Flag Flying'.

Absolutely wonderful post, Rottie, I really snorted coffee through my nose laughing when I read this.

btw. Did you know my country defeated the USSR on the battlefield. Did yours?

Assuming your country is the UK, you never faced the USSR on the battlefield.

The political debate in the US seems to bitter these days....can the US ever be a united country again?

By united I don't mean that everyone would agree on everrything, but that people would accept the result of a democractic election, and see themselves as Americans first and members of a party second.

The reason this interests me is because in Europe I don't sense the same kind of division very often. It does happen - in Britain under Thatcher, perhaps France under Sakorzy or the end of the Toby Blair era in the UK - but by and large people consider themselves Finns or French or British first, and are proud of that. What party people voted for just isn't much of an issue in discussions around the water cooler.

The kind of loathing for liberalism and conservatism we see here seems almost uniquely American - why is that?

We are united. You don't understand this country. Go worry about Europe, idiot. Or better yet, "travel abroad to understand your country" or some such bullshit as you usually spew.

Oh, absolutely - I am sitting here right now wearing my Soviet military uniform and singing 'Keep The Ref Flag Flying'.

Absolutely wonderful post, Rottie, I really snorted coffee through my nose laughing when I read this.

Then you probably haven't made a very clever assumption.

Then you probably haven't made a very clever assumption.

Why don't you enlighten us about your national origin?

Bripat -

I'm from Finland.

Finland defeated Russia in the Winter War, halting the Soviet invasion, forcing the Soviets back almost as far as St Petersburg.

The land was lost back to the USSR in war reparations, along with a large chunk of Finland, but even so...no one has tried to invade Finland in winter since.

Americans for the most part are apolitical.

It’s actually a very small percentage of the population at ‘war’ with each other. 24/7 cable news, talk radio, and message boards make it seem a lot worse than it really is.

Really?

Is that true?

I don't know, but I am interested if others agree. It always SEEMS so political to me.

day to day our lives do not revolve around politics.

Remember, you are posting in a politics forum.

Political arguments is what happens here and eveyone has their mind made up about most of the issues. so it's going to look like all we do is bicker

Bripat -

I'm from Finland.

Finland defeated Russia in the Winter War, halting the Soviet invasion, forcing the Soviets back almost as far as St Petersburg.

The land was lost back to the USSR in war reparations, along with a large chunk of Finland, but even so...no one has tried to invade Finland in winter since.

from what i understand you have some nice looking Finn women.

Maybe we should invade during bikini season. Be a nice fellow and have them waxed first.

wos32925.jpg

meanwhile-in-finland-d10bff.jpg

Bripat -

I'm from Finland.

Maybe we should invade during bikini season. Be a nice fellow and have them waxed first.

wos32925.jpg

I think I'll be invading very soon.:razz:

While we don't agree on political issues right to left --- most of us would get along just fine in a different setting. This message board is made up of people who feel strongly about their political issues --- and with Obama trying to destroy the Country --- the pot boils. (that was a joke for you lefties who are capable of getting it.)

When unemployment is around 6% and the gov isn't going a trillion dollars a year in the hole - a message board like this one would be full of nothing but lefties whining over social injustice - when they should be working to improve their lives. (that one was serious - feel offended if you must)

Bripat -

I'm from Finland.

wos32925.jpg

tasty

While we don't agree on political issues right to left --- most of us would get along just fine in a different setting. This message board is made up of people who feel strongly about their political issues --- and with Obama trying to destroy the Country --- the pot boils. (that was a joke for you lefties who are capable of getting it.)

When unemployment is around 6% and the gov isn't going a trillion dollars a year in the hole - a message board like this one would be full of nothing but lefties whining over social injustice - when they should be working to improve their lives. (that one was serious - feel offended if you must)

yep in our day to day lives we discuss more important things
like what kind of booze we like and who we want to screw

Because that's HOW the masters stay in power.

By presenting two apparently different political philosophies, while basically really understaking only one economic philosophy.

But as each party's platform is carefully wrapped in contentious social issues our nations social morons think they're being given a signficant choice.

Coke?

No Coke, this year, This election cycle the flavor is Pepsi.

Yum!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back