Can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Brendon

Rookie
Mar 5, 2013
Hi everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (WITHOUT agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and I plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the Army is all I've ever wanted, and I see some people saying you can join with it, and some say I can't. It's really worrying me, and I don't know what I'd possibly do if I couldn't join. If this helps - I hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if I was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

Anyways, can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

Depends on a lot of things, for example do you require medication? I would go ask a recruiter about it, they should know the requirements.

hi everyone,
i was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (without agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and i plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the army is all i've ever wanted, and i see some people saying you can join with it, and some say i can't. It's really worrying me, and i don't know what i'd possibly do if i couldn't join. If this helps - i hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if i was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

Anyways, can i join the army with an anxiety disorder?

why would anyone want to join the military in these days ?

Depends on a lot of things, for example do you require medication? I would go ask a recruiter about it, they should know the requirements.
I'm prescribed medication, but I don't take it - because it doesn't do anything. Which is why I believe I don't have the disorder. Although, my doctor seems to think that I do. I can function completely fine, panic/anxiety-free without it. I do on a daily basis. But I don't really know how I could possibly prove that to the military.

why would anyone want to join the military in these days ?
Because it's the only thing I've ever wanted to do. Both of my great-grandfathers served in WWII as well. Serving my country means a lot to me - and it'll give guidance and direction in my life. I've never wanted to go to college. I eat, sleep, bleed, and breathe the military - it's just something I'm insanely passionate about.

Last edited:
Back during the dark days of the draft, If you were drafted, the medical exam consisted of holding a mirror in from of your face, if the Doctor saw your breath on the mirror, you passed the medical examine.

Back during the dark days of the draft, If you were drafted, the medical exam consisted of holding a mirror in from of your face, if the Doctor saw your breath on the mirror, you passed the medical examine.
Haha! Now there's all kinds of disorders that automatically disqualify you (even those that I couldn't see interfering with the military). Even in my case, I understand how chronic panic attacks could disqualify you - but I never get them. Doesn't make sense to me.

if you don't have anxiety attacks today and you are not taking medication you do not have an anxiety disorder .
Exactly my point. I've told my parents & my doctor this, time and time again. I don't take my medication, because I DON'T need it. Although, it says "panic disorder" on my medical records, which could hinder my shot in joining the military. Stupid.

Anxiety/panic attacks don't happen continually or all the time. I have panic disorder and I can have them once a week, or once a year.

This is why I hate rushing kids to the doc to get diagnoses for behavior/emotional stuff. Unless they're having suicidal ideation (in which case, meds might make it worse), unless your kids has the impulse to kill people or things, or they're hearing voices, getting a diagnosis that amounts to a *mentally ill* label that they are stuck with for the rest of their lives, is a huge mistake.

Before you get your kid meds for anxiety, work with him to manage those attacks. There are ways to manage them. There are ways to recognize when one is coming on, and ways to deal with it..and once you know what it is it's a lot less terrifying.

Call a recruiter and ask them about it, that's your best bet. If you LIE and then they find out, you will be in all sorts of deep shit later, up to and including jail time. Whcih could really suck if you've been in the service for 25 years, you're looking at retirement, and suddenly it pops up that you had anxiety disorder adn lied about it...there goes your retirement, there goes your honorable discharge, there goes your whole life.

Don't mention it. They will give you a complete Physical. Do not take any of the medication for at least 6 months prior. If they do find out and ask why you didn't tell them tell them that you've been off the meds so long that you forgot.

But seriously, if you do have panic attacks the Army and especially the infantry is not for you. And what ever you decide don't be surprised if you are turned down or placed on a waiting list. A long waiting list....

But it could be that you could get a second opinion, and nix the original diagnosis, and then possibly be able to get in that way.

My son joined the National Guard when he was 18 or 19, and he got in a shitload of trouble when he started suffering headaches (probably allergy induced, but possibly migraines) while waiting to be shipped to Iraq....they asked him if he had ever hit his head and he said, "Well yeah I was in a quad accident once when I was 15 and got pretty bunged up but didn't go to the doctor or anything, just had a headache and a really sore hip for a while". They were all over him like stink on shit for not reporting that when he enlisted!!! He didnt' even think of it..but suddenly it was a huge deal, and they were threatening him with all sorts of lovely stuff. They sent him back to base, where he had to wait for months and get all these tests for TMI, while his buddies all shipped out..by the time they were through with him he was at the end of his enlistment period.

Just saying. If you're going to fudge it, you'd better be sure to never, ever bring it up, to never complain of any symptoms, and be damned sure that you aren't going to have any....because if you do and they find out you didn't tell them, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth....yours.

Don't mention it. They will give you a complete Physical. Do not take any of the medication for at least 6 months prior. If they do find out and ask why you didn't tell them tell them that you've been off the meds so long that you forgot.

But seriously, if you do have panic attacks the Army and especially the infantry is not for you. And what ever you decide don't be surprised if you are turned down or placed on a waiting list. A long waiting list....
How could they ever find out that I was diagnosed with it at one point though? I was thinking about just not even telling my actual recruiter (hence why I posted this) - nor the people at MEPS. I've had one panic attack, ever. And that was because I was being an ignorant, childish teenager and I tried marijuana and freaked out. Yeah, that...never again. Other than that, I don't get them.

As far as I know (and remember I retired nearly 20 years ago) the only way is if you tell them or if you ever need an SBI for a security clearance, and even then they could skip over that. (SBI = Special Background Investigation)

As far as I know (and remember I retired nearly 20 years ago) the only way is if you tell them or if you ever need an SBI for a security clearance, and even then they could skip over that. (SBI = Special Background Investigation)
What kind of things would they do one of those for?

Hi everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with a panic disorder (WITHOUT agoraphobia). I'm currently 17 years old, and I plan on enlisting this summer. I've only had a hand-full of panic attacks throughout my entire life. Joining the Army is all I've ever wanted, and I see some people saying you can join with it, and some say I can't. It's really worrying me, and I don't know what I'd possibly do if I couldn't join. If this helps - I hope to become an infantryman. I feel as if I was wrongfully diagnosed with the disorder - does that matter?

Anyways, can I join the Army with an anxiety disorder?

no but you can however join and develop one...

Forum List

Back