Can I join the Air Force if I have never been treated for my "anxiety disorder"?

aben

Rookie
May 19, 2018
During college, I went to speak with a counselor several times about some school-related stress. She thought I had an anxiety disorder and even gave me accommodations for "testing anxiety," so I got to take exams in a quiet room. However, she never formally diagnosed me, and I never received treatment. The only things that appear on my medical records are a couple of sporadic appointments for "Mental Health Counselling." The job I want requires security clearance, so I assume this will come up if I don't mention it at MEPS. Will this prevent me from enlisting in the Air Force? Again, I never received any medication, and my visits with this doctor occurred over a period of only about a month.

Edit: I should add that the "doctor" who diagnosed me was a licensed clinical social worker, not an actual doctor. Still, I saw her through a medical facility which billed my health insurance.

Last edited:
Do you beleive you have an anxiety disorder? I am no authority to answer your question, but I suspect that if you don’t show unusual anxiety now, you should be okay.

Do you beleive you have an anxiety disorder? I am no authority to answer your question, but I suspect that if you don’t show unusual anxiety now, you should be okay.

No, I don't believe I have anxiety, but I know that general anxiety disorder is one of the things that can disqualify you from enlisting. Even if you don't really have it, it seems that the label alone may be enough to keep you out.

If they ended up speaking to this person as part of a background check, she would probably tell them that she diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder, so I felt I would need to mention this in MEPS. I'm not sure whether they would consider this an "official" diagnosis of anxiety?

During college, I went to speak with a counselor several times about some school-related stress. She thought I had an anxiety disorder and even gave me accommodations for "testing anxiety," so I got to take exams in a quiet room. However, she never formally diagnosed me, and I never received treatment. The only things that appear on my medical records are a couple of sporadic appointments for "Mental Health Counselling." The job I want requires security clearance, so I assume this will come up if I don't mention it at MEPS. Will this prevent me from enlisting in the Air Force? Again, I never received any medication, and my visits with this doctor occurred over a period of only about a month.

Edit: I should add that the "doctor" who diagnosed me was a licensed clinical social worker, not an actual doctor. Still, I saw her through a medical facility which billed my health insurance.
The Air Force is perfect for you.

No, I don't believe I have anxiety, but I know that general anxiety disorder is one of the things that can disqualify you from enlisting. Even if you don't really have it, it seems that the label alone may be enough to keep you out.
Chances are that your counselor in college didn’t have the qualifications to formally diagnose you with a disorder.

If they ended up speaking to this person as part of a background check, she would probably tell them that she diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder, so I felt I would need to mention this in MEPS. I'm not sure whether they would consider this an "official" diagnosis of anxiety?
Maybe you should go to a doctor that can diagnose you one way or the other,

Doesn’t look like a formal diagnosis and I doubt if it is on your “permanent record”

You really need to look inward and ask yourself if you think you can take the stress

No, I haven't started any paperwork yet. I'm still a year or two away from actually enlisting.

OK. You mentioned college. Will you enlist with a degree or go for a commission as an officer? What job are you going for?

The job I really wanted was cryptologic linguist. I know it's an enlisted position, but I think it's something I would be good at, and I wanted to give it a shot. That's the reason I was concerned about the background check, since the job requires security clearance. Guess it serves me right for going in to a counselor to complain about my "anxiety" in school. o_O

No, I haven't started any paperwork yet. I'm still a year or two away from actually enlisting.

OK. You mentioned college. Will you enlist with a degree or go for a commission as an officer? What job are you going for?

The job I really wanted was cryptologic linguist. I know it's an enlisted position, but I think it's something I would be good at, and I wanted to give it a shot. That's the reason I was concerned about the background check, since the job requires security clearance. Guess it serves me right for going in to a counselor to complain about my "anxiety" in school. o_O
I doubt if it will affect your security clearance

No, sorry, I'm not worried about the security clearance itself. I am worried about the diagnosis preventing me from enlisting. If it weren't for the fact that I will have a more thorough background check for security clearance, I wouldn't even mention it when I enlist, but I don't want to omit something and then find out later I needed to include it. That could lead to much more serious repercussions.

The job I really wanted was cryptologic linguist.

Yep. That one is up there and hard to qualify for. If you really want it, talk to a recruiter now and tell him everything. Don't hide anything. For that AFSC, he may be able to tell you right away not to waste your time based on your concern. Or he might relieve your concerns. Then you can plan your future a little better.

And ALWAYS get a second opinion when talking to a recruiter. Their agenda is rarely in your best interest. If you can, take a Vet with you to talk to him in person. The Vet will have LOTS of questions for the recruiter!!!!

There are lots of other Vets on this forum that may have additional advice.

I wouldn't even mention it when I enlist, but I don't want to omit something and then find out later I needed to include it. That could lead to much more serious repercussions.

Very smart. Bravo. Don't hide anything. Ever. They will find out. If you are open and honest and tell them everything, they will work with you if they can. They need someone they can trust. Starting the relationship by withholding information is a show stopper.

No, sorry, I'm not worried about the security clearance itself. I am worried about the diagnosis preventing me from enlisting. If it weren't for the fact that I will have a more thorough background check for security clearance, I wouldn't even mention it when I enlist, but I don't want to omit something and then find out later I needed to include it. That could lead to much more serious repercussions.
If transgenders can enlist, I don’t see this hurting you!

Talk to a medical professional and ask if it should be reported

I wouldn't even mention it when I enlist, but I don't want to omit something and then find out later I needed to include it. That could lead to much more serious repercussions.

Very smart. Bravo. Don't hide anything. Ever. They will find out. If you are open and honest and tell them everything, they will work with you if they can. They need someone they can trust. Starting the relationship by withholding information is a show stopper.

Thanks for your encouragement. I get that they can't have people with these conditions relapsing on the job, so the guideline makes sense. I just wish there were a way for me to undo these special snowflake appointments I went to before I knew I wanted to enlist. Oh well.

I'll certainly talk to the recruiter and see what they can do!

Did she give you evaluation tests?

I'll certainly talk to the recruiter and see what they can do!

Good luck. Try to take a Vet with you. Feel free to PM me anytime. I held a secret clearance as an enlisted man and a top secret as an officer. But that was long ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Many things have changed. I'm sure they wouldn't have me now and I wouldn't blame them. :19:

Forum List

Back