Can Bush do no wrong?

Mariner

Nov 7, 2004
Boston, Mass.
It's striking to me how unanimous support is on these forums for George Bush's policies in a wide variety of areas. I find it hard to believe that conservatives are actually pleased with every single thing the man has done. Even as a generally Clinton-supporting Democrat, I hardly thought Clinton was perfect.

So what are your least favorite Bush policies, ideas, or decisions?

For example:

1. Are you truly thrilled that government has grown under Bush (even excluding Homeland Security and the war in Iraq)? I thought conservatives were for small government. Bush has never vetoed a single spending item during his entire presidency.

2. Are you really satisfied with the new policy of pre-emption? Even Henry Kissinger, writing in support of Bush in Newsweek a few weeks ago, worried that this policy would give rogue states moral reason to pre-empt us, and cautioned Bush to temper his disregard for the Geneva Convention.

3. Are you dancing in the streets about the largest deficits in U.S. history? Do you think it's great that China and Saudi Arabia own a trillion dollars each in our credit card debt, and could call it in at any time and send our economy south as fast as a nuclear attack would?

4. Do you really want to invest your social security money in Enron or pets.com, or to incur the future liability when people who made such choices find themselves homeless and in need of taxpayer support?

5. Will flattening the tax code, which would almost inevitably raise taxes on everyone earning less than the current cut-off for paying less than you get back (which is around $70K per year), really improve your bottom line? Do you really like the idea of shifting the burden of taxation from wealth (i.e. people who don't work) to income (i.e. people who do)? The current rate on wealth is 10%, and Bush is aiming to lower it.

There are so many other areas where I can imagine conservatives calling Bush's decisions into question--what's the need, now that Republicans ARE the federal government, for this great show of unanimity? Can Mr. Bush do no wrong?

Mariner

Mariner said:
It's striking to me how unanimous support is on these forums for George Bush's policies in a wide variety of areas. I find it hard to believe that conservatives are actually pleased with every single thing the man has done. Even as a generally Clinton-supporting Democrat, I hardly thought Clinton was perfect.

For example:

1. Are you truly thrilled that government has grown under Bush (even excluding Homeland Security and the war in Iraq)? I thought conservatives were for small government. Bush has never vetoed a single spending item during his entire presidency.

2. Are you really satisfied with the new policy of pre-emption? Even Henry Kissinger, writing in support of Bush in Newsweek a few weeks ago, worried that this policy would give rogue states moral reason to pre-empt us, and cautioned Bush to temper his disregard for the Geneva Convention.

3. Are you dancing in the streets about the largest deficits in U.S. history? Do you think it's great that China and Saudi Arabia own a trillion dollars each in our credit card debt, and could call it in at any time and send our economy south as fast as a nuclear attack would?

4. Do you really want to invest your social security money in Enron or pets.com, or to incur the future liability when people who made such choices find themselves homeless and in need of taxpayer support?

5. Will flattening the tax code, which would almost inevitably raise taxes on everyone earning less than the current cut-off for paying less than you get back (which is around $70K per year), really improve your bottom line? Do you really like the idea of shifting the burden of taxation from wealth (i.e. people who don't work) to income (i.e. people who do)? The current rate on wealth is 10%, and Bush is aiming to lower it.

There are so many other areas where I can imagine conservatives calling Bush's decisions into question--what's the need, now that Republicans ARE the federal government, for this great show of unanimity? Can Mr. Bush do no wrong?

Mariner
Nope, he can't.

1. Homeland security is a watste of money, we should have aske the french to go arrest the bad guys for us.

2. No i think we should have apologized for builidng such tall buildings, appologized for gulf war I and invaded kuwait and given it back to sadam

3. Your right we should not have spent a dime defending ourself after 9/11 we should have fired off a missle, sent in a couple of blackhawak choppers then smoked a moist cigar

4. No i would like to invest my retirement money in microsoft, BofA, drug companies and oil companies rather than give it to the govt to invest in china and SA (you invested in Eron? thought you hermes libs were inteligent?)

5. Flatting the tax code would cause everyone to pay the same % of their income...some taxes may go up some down..so what

You've obviously not been around very long. Many of us (including me) have taken Bush to task on many issues, including immigration, Medicare, education, the non-use of vetos, etc.

Mariner said:

For example:

No, I am not happy with the pill-bill and other government growth. Nor with the idea that the Federal Government is getting their hands even more into Education which is specifically denied them by the Constitution.

However that "Bush has never vetoed" thing is a little disingenuous. Every major piece of legislation that has passed has either been suggested by or supported by the President. Why would he veto a spending bill he created?

Preemption is not my chosen method of dealing with an issue but it far outstrips the "wait until they get us" plan.

Every economist that I know says that deficit spending comes with a slow economy and recommends it as well. It is during the excess years that you pay down the deficit.

I personally believe that social security has been the bane of our society. It wrecked the extended family atmosphere in which most of our society grew up in before it was created. It created an atmosphere in which families put grandma into a nice old people prison and assume they are cared for by the government. Our young generations have missed the knowledge and wisdom of their elders.

I would rather just give up what I put into it, chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on.

If you overburden those who hire you, they will not hire you. Assuming that every rich person needs to pay for your lifestyle simply because they or their predecessors were successful is simply allowing jealousy to influence your decisions. While progressive taxes are clearly the best way, it is unnecessary to use taxes to punish the successful directly into a bad economy as they will no longer have the money to hire.

Mariner

Satisfy you?

forum since the election, so I don't know too much of the history, but still some of the defenses of Bush here have seemed to be really stretching it, and no longer necessary given the outcome of the election. I apologize if I misunderstood most of your positions--but I'm still curious the answer to my question: which particular policies bother you, and why? As a non-Bush supporter I'd be a lot happier if I knew Bush was getting some good feedback from those who elected him but don't agree with everything he's doing.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
forum since the election, so I don't know too much of the history, but still some of the defenses of Bush here have seemed to be really stretching it, and no longer necessary given the outcome of the election. I apologize if I misunderstood most of your positions--but I'm still curious the answer to my question: which particular policies bother you, and why? As a non-Bush supporter I'd be a lot happier if I knew Bush was getting some good feedback from those who elected him but don't agree with everything he's doing.

Mariner.
a big one for me is the immigration policy of this country. Dont agree at all with the current administrations view on this.

Mariner said:

For example:

Mariner

yes I am for smaller government spending, cutting social spending raising defense and homeland security budgets, lower taxes, I disagree with Bush for trying to reach across the aisle to Comrade Chappaquidic Kennedy and other Libs only to have his hand bitten off. He should never make that mistake again!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I agree with diplomacy to a point, but pre-emption in some cases is wiser especially with terrorism!!

The wealthy and middleclass pay the brunt of the taxes here in the US, they invest their money to expand business and hire more people, who in turn now have a job so they can pay taxes as well,more revenue going into the govt to decrease the deficit. Wealthy, middle class people, and all business owners should get a tax break, if it be in the form of a flat tax to simplify things so be it. For some the taxes will go up for others it will stay roughly the same, and others it will go down. Id have to see the numbers to know if it is feasable.

Yes I want Social Security to be in my own hands not the Governments. I can do a better job investing that money and making it grow. Social Security was never meant to be permanent, it was put in place by FDR as a temp fix during the Depression as was Welfare, the libs took control and made all these things entitlements to create a permanent voting base of dependants!!

NO Bush is not perfect, no president is, but he comes damn close to my idea of a good one!!!

Mariner said:

Mariner.

actually i have been more annoyed by the house and senate and their behaviour during a time of national crisis

His immigration and border policies suck-----He does not confront the legislature nearly enough----he's poor at explaining the rationale of his decisions--

Mariner said:

For example:

Mariner

1. No
2. Yes
3. No..but it's not a problem.
4. Yes
5. Yes...unless we change the system...Retail/user tax for all is fair.

Guess who I voted for.

Mariner,

I have yet to meet a single conservative, Republican, Christian, liberal who happens to be voting for Bush, etc....and I live on a military base, so I meet quite a few of the people mentioned above...who are "actually pleased with every single thing the man [Bush] has done."

Your statement sounds much more like a blanket-stereotype made by a person who does not like Bush, and therefore can not see why anyone else would.

The threads here demonstrate that people support Bush's foreign policy, and support his economic policy over Kerry's, etc....but I think that if you could easily find things that people who voted for Bush or who support him don't care for.

I, personally, don't like his immigration policies, or the way he has been ignoring the illegal immigrant problem in this country.

I think he does not communicate enough, or perhaps more appropriately, I do not think he tells the American public what it needs to hear in order to understand him...thereby forcing people to do the work of understanding themselves....while I am comfortable doing this...most people are not...and therefore are forced to rely on the snippets they get from the frontpages of newspapers and the Daily Show...not the most reliable sources.

I think he does not define why he pushes for certain policies...thereby leaving people to make up the worst or the least intelligent reasons. During the 3rd debate he finally laid out the most coherant reason for a constitutional ammendment against gay marriage I have ever heard from him, he discussed it as a states rights issue,...I still disagree with it...but he finally came up with an explanation that was not religious in origin...he had never done that before...he tends to simply state things and take for granted that people understand...

I think he is a deplorable public speaker.

I think he didn't veto enough spending...however, he was also president during two wars (Afganistan and Iraq), the largest and most devestating terrorist attack on US soil ever, massive destruction to metropolitan areas, a recession, several terrorist attack scares, and a hostile election...I think that all of that needs to be taken into consideration...now you might define that as "approving" of everything Bush does...but you'd be wrong...I am only saying that I think that we need to be sure we are looking at the whole picture when we discuss things.

I can go on...but hopefully, you get the point...lots of people who support Bush do not do so blindly.

P.S.

Surely, Mariner, you are aware of the many people who voted for Kerry that were willing to overlook/ignore GLARING flaws in his character, his record, and his choices regarding his potential adminstration...simply because they hated Bush so much....isn't that the same thing you are accusing people here of doing?

ScreamingEagle said:
Of course not, he's next to GOD!

:rolleyes:

These guys dont realize that Bush doesnt give a **** about what they think, unless they belong to the club. The club you might ask....50 billionaires for bush. How many billionaires here......NONE count yourselves OUT!!!!

sagegirl said:
These guys dont realize that Bush doesnt give a **** about what they think, unless they belong to the club. The club you might ask....50 billionaires for bush. How many billionaires here......NONE count yourselves OUT!!!!

LMFAO! As if Clinton or Kerry would care about any of us here either! lol

Bush cared enough about me and my business to give us a tax break. That is enough for me!

freeandfun1 said:
LMFAO! As if Clinton or Kerry would care about any of us here either! lol

Bush cared enough about me and my business to give us a tax break. That is enough for me!

Ditto and Ditto,

And yes let's talk about Kerry's billionaires club, from a man who never actually worked a day in his life.

Bush was a business owner!

Bonnie said:
Ditto and Ditto,

And yes let's talk about Kerry's billionaires club, from a man who never actually worked a day in his life.

Bush was a business owner!

Exactly. And I know, the libs will say, "he failed at his businesses". Even if that is so, I say, "so what?". At least he knows what it is like to meet a real payroll, to file a business tax return, pay SS, workman's comp, etc., etc. That is more than either Kerry or Clinton can say. I have very little respect for career politicians!
:dev1:

sagegirl said:

well i get a christmas card from them every year does that count?

freeandfun1 said:
Exactly. And I know, the libs will say, "he failed at his businesses". Even if that is so, I say, "so what?". At least he knows what it is like to meet a real payroll, to file a business tax return, pay SS, workman's comp, etc., etc. That is more than either Kerry or Clinton can say. I have very little respect for career politicians!
:dev1:

Absolutely....owning a business is fantastic but also one of the hardest things one can ever do!! Until you do it there is no way to know what is really involved. It takes a lot of hard knocks to make a success, so when you finally do take off the rewards are well deserved!!

Forum List

Back