Can Anyone Explain This?

More Evidence Shows Drilling Causes Earthquakes - Businessweek

There have been a lot of earthquakes recently in parts of the U.S. that traditionally haven’t seen so many, including Arkansas, Texas, Ohio, and Colorado—all states where fracking activity just happens to have increased substantially in the past decade. The Geology study estimates that during the last four years, the number of earthquakes in the middle of the U.S. was 11 times higher than the average rate over the previous 30 years.

The notion that injecting water deep into the ground causes earthquakes is nothing new, or even very surprising. Whether you support or oppose fracking, is it difficult to fathom that pumping billions of gallons of water and other fluids down into the earth over several decades might one day cause things to shift around, especially when those structures have been virtually untouched for millions of years?

The results of research by the U.S. Geological Survey released last year essentially concluded that a sharp rise in seismic activity in the middle of the U.S. was the result of injecting water into deep underground wells. There is also growing concern that gas-drilling in the Netherlands has led to some recent earthquakes.

You can't get something for nothing, despite how much you alt energy nuts have tried.

What in the world do "alt energy nuts" have to do with fracking????

If anyone wants to bother anymore, check any anti-fracking link and you will see it's nothing but misinformation trying to get you to make a certain assumption or just a load of shit.

I live in PA, there's lots of coal mines and frack fields where I live, I have kids so I did tons of research, found that all anti-fracking is bullshit.

Manifold called me out, threw link after link at me, after crushing each and everyone, he confessed that his stance was fear based nimbyism

I want to start a green energy company with investments from big oil only, just to laugh at all the liberals as they prance about telling the world how my widgets will kill the earth

Please feel free to share your research with us.

https://www.google.com/

start there
open any link
assume everything is not true
dig into the links inside of links
don't assume the assumptions are true

now the next step is the hardest for liberals

think for yourself

if you've done the above properly, you will come to the conclusion that your stance against fracking is based on your stance against oil compnies and not based on actual facts and correct information

Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake sequence

Potentially induced earthquakes in Oklahoma, USA: Links between wastewater injection and the 2011 Mw 5.7 earthquake

Katie M. Keranen1, Heather M. Savage2, Geoffrey A. Abers2 and Elizabeth S. Cochran3
+ Author Affiliations

1ConocoPhillips School of Geology and Geophysics, University of Oklahoma, 100 E. Boyd Street, Norman, Oklahoma 73069, USA
2Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, PO Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, New York 10964, USA
3U.S. Geological Survey, 525 S. Wilson Avenue, Pasadena, California 91106, USA
Abstract

Significant earthquakes are increasingly occurring within the continental interior of the United States, including five of moment magnitude (Mw) ≥ 5.0 in 2011 alone. Concurrently, the volume of fluid injected into the subsurface related to the production of unconventional resources continues to rise. Here we identify the largest earthquake potentially related to injection, an Mw 5.7 earthquake in November 2011 in Oklahoma. The earthquake was felt in at least 17 states and caused damage in the epicentral region. It occurred in a sequence, with 2 earthquakes of Mw 5.0 and a prolific sequence of aftershocks. We use the aftershocks to illuminate the faults that ruptured in the sequence, and show that the tip of the initial rupture plane is within ∼200 m of active injection wells and within ∼1 km of the surface; 30% of early aftershocks occur within the sedimentary section. Subsurface data indicate that fluid was injected into effectively sealed compartments, and we interpret that a net fluid volume increase after 18 yr of injection lowered effective stress on reservoir-bounding faults. Significantly, this case indicates that decades-long lags between the commencement of fluid injection and the onset of induced earthquakes are possible, and modifies our common criteria for fluid-induced events. The progressive rupture of three fault planes in this sequence suggests that stress changes from the initial rupture triggered the successive earthquakes, including one larger than the first.

Heck -- I'll buy that explanation GoldiRocks.. EVEN IF it comes from a stooge tool of Big Drilling at the "Conoco-Phillips Dept of Geology" :eek:

Question then is -- WHY have they been injecting waste water into the proximity of SEVERAL fault lines for 18 years and what MORON approved that plan????

Takes 18 years to exceed the reservoir volume?? Maybe...

Interesting theory I found in my IEEE magazine from papers that GoldiRocks posted.. That swarms of fluid injection quakes are "triggered" by major quakes halfway around the world.

Can Wastewater Injection from Fracking Cause Earthquakes? - IEEE Spectrum

The study, led by Nicholas van der Elst of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, finds that a severe Chilean earthquake on 27 February 2010 triggered, less than a day later, a significant earthquake in Prague, Oklahoma, where there was a set of water injection wells. Unusual seismic activity continued near Prague for almost two years until late November 2011, when an earthquake destroyed 14 homes and injured two people, according to a Lamont-Doherty press release. Then, in April 2012, a major earthquake in Sumatra triggered yet another earthquake near the Prague wells, where injection continues.

The Science article builds on an earlier study that appeared in Geology last March, in which a team of Lamont Doherty scientists hypothesized that high-pressure injection of water in a seismically active area could cause a known fault to "jump." “When you overpressure the fault, you reduce the stress that’s pinning the fault into place and that’s when earthquakes happen,” said Heather Savage, a co-author of both the older and newer reports.

Forum List

Back