Can a Constitution Destroy Our Rights?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    The constitution is said to be the instrument of our freedoms but how is this possible when most constitutions that are written state the functions of government such as deciding term limits for public officials, what is considered a majority, under what circumstances can money be spent, and other mundane boring things that have nothing to do with the personal lives of individual citizens.

Further, it is possible to write into any constitution something that would remove someone's rights just as it can have things that protect someone's rights (like the first amendment). This means a constitution can do great harm or do great good and makes the concept of a constitution neither a force for human rights or a force for tyranny but a lifeless legal document that states the rules that a government functions by.

Since a constitution is nothing more than a glorified charter for the government it must suggest that our rights do not come from a constitution since any action, including ones that might violate our rights, it can legally take would still be constitutionally legal for that government.

This means that a constitution does not embody our rights since free and unregulated people create constitutions that establishes a government so it is impossible for any constitution to grant any additional freedoms that the same people did not have before they created it.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think you're on to something here :cool:

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,312
    Oh my, another Neo-con that believes the Constitution is "just a goddamned peice of paper".

4. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Since a government can deny us the recognition of our rights and freedoms, our Constitution is said to be the instrument of our freedoms by setting careful boundaries for our government to prevent it from denying the recognition of our rights.

Granted, our government pays very little attention to our Constitution, but . . .

5. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    This is the only thing government does really well because that is what governments are created for.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    actually it restains governments interference in our INDIVIDUAL liberties...

you know, that whole waterboarding torture thingy...

and attempts to interfere with a woman's control over her own body...

or consenting adults marrying whom they choose.

so yeah, the government's been remiss ...

but don't worry... it's getting better.

oh...and there ISN'T any such thing as "rights" except as political philosophy... except for what the government you HATE will enforce.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Untrue. Governments exist to serve as the active arm of the community as a whole. They are created to allow society to do those things it must do collectively, like providing for public safety and infrastructure. Because the community which creates the government necessarily invests it with a certain amount of power, they can also be used to oppress people, but that is not their original or only purpose.

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    ACTUALLY, I just said that, but thank you so much for brilliantly repeating and reiterating my words for us all.

No, I don't know, nor am I interested in listening to you trying to shoehorn your partisan bullshit into this.

See above.

It always amuses me how dimwits like you can drag the government and society kicking and screaming into your private lives, and then disingenuously lecture everyone on "How dare you interfere?" I am even less interested in your ignorance-fueled hypocrisy than I am in your partisan hackery.

I can only assume "better" means "we're getting government to interfere in the rights WE want interfered with, because you people are too stupid to use them the way we think you should", since that's the position you and your tweeko compatriots always default to.

Exactly the sort of nonsensical, meaningless remark I've come to expect from the vast vacuum between your ears.

9. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    All those are really nice but you have to find something where the constitution actually forbids the government from doing anything. That was the point of what I was trying to say that a constitution exist to define government power and it is possible to write an amendment banning your preciuous gay marriage and still be constitutional just like I think income tax is a communist tax but it is still legal for the government to tax us that way.

It is all constitutional no matter how unfair we think it is.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  10. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    A church can do the same thing and serve the active community (of christians) as a whole.