'Call of Duty' and Mass Murders: Are Video Games Too Violent?

I remember reading somewhere that the Loyalists of Boston were saying the same thing before the first shots rang out at Concord?

Loyalists wanted to get assault weapons off the streets of Boston in 1775? ...okay? That reminds me of when the people of Los Angeles had to battle Mongolians with alien death beams in 1941.

The American Revolution against British Gun Control​

By David Kopel

This Article reviews the British gun control program that precipitated the American Revolution: the 1774 import ban on firearms and gunpowder; the 1774-75 confiscations of firearms and gunpowder; and the use of violence to effectuate the confiscations. It was these events that changed a situation of political tension into a shooting war. Each of these British abuses provides insights into the scope of the modern Second Amendment.

Military rule would be difficult to impose on an armed populace. Gage had only 2,000 troops in Boston. There were thousands of armed men in Boston alone, and more in the surrounding area. One response to the problem was to deprive the Americans of gunpowder.

Modern “smokeless” gunpowder is stable under most conditions. The “black powder” of the 18th Century was far more volatile. Accordingly, large quantities of black powder were often stored in a town’s “powder house,” typically a reinforced brick building. The powder house would hold merchants’ reserves, large quantities stored by individuals, as well as powder for use by the local militia. Although colonial laws generally required militiamen (and sometimes all householders, too) to have their own firearm and a minimum quantity of powder, not everyone could afford it. Consequently, the government sometimes supplied “public arms” and powder to individual militiamen. Policies varied on whether militiamen who had been given public arms would keep them at home. Public arms would often be stored in a special armory, which might also be the powder house.

Before dawn on September 1, 1774, 260 of Gage’s Redcoats sailed up the Mystic River and seized hundreds of barrels of powder from the Charlestown powder house.

The “Powder Alarm,” as it became known, was a serious provocation. By the end of the day, 20,000 militiamen had mobilized and started marching towards Boston. In Connecticut and Western Massachusetts, rumors quickly spread that the Powder Alarm had actually involved fighting in the streets of Boston. More accurate reports reached the militia companies before that militia reached Boston, and so the war did not begin in September. The message, though, was unmistakable: If the British used violence to seize arms or powder, the Americans would treat that violent seizure as an act of war, and would fight. And that is exactly what happened several months later, on April 19, 1775.

Five days after the Powder Alarm, on September 6, the militia of the towns of Worcester County assembled on the Worcester Common. Backed by the formidable array, the Worcester Convention took over the reins of government, and ordered the resignations of all militia officers, who had received their commissions from the Royal Governor. The officers promptly resigned and then received new commissions from the Worcester Convention.

That same day, the people of Suffolk County (which includes Boston) assembled and adopted the Suffolk Resolves. The 19-point Resolves complained about the Powder Alarm, and then took control of the local militia away from the Royal Governor (by replacing the Governor’s appointed officers with officers elected by the militia) and resolved to engage in group practice with arms at least weekly.

Read more at:
The American Revolution against British Gun Control

It's apparent that you sleep through your American History classes. That is if you ever attended an American school?

Oh cool fan fiction. I personally have enjoyed reading a couple of fan written scripts for various TV shows I like. It's interesting reading how people can reshape concepts in their own image. Personally, I find it a waste of time to invest yourself in something so meaningless but different strokes for different folks. And your link doesn't work.

Guys we're about to experience a shift in consciousness in our world because soon there will only be the time before GTA5 and the time after GTA5.

But... but...
I don't like GTA...
If I want to play an open-world fantasy, I'll just play Skyrim.

Skyrim is for sissies.

Try Dark Souls

Oh crap, someone else pressuring me to open my Christmas gift early.
I know it's Dark Souls. My wife managed to find a Collector's Edition on EBay (yay for hitting CTRL+H and hitting a gold mine).

Unfortunately, she probably saw I got her a collector's edition RE6...

But... but...
I don't like GTA...
If I want to play an open-world fantasy, I'll just play Skyrim.

Skyrim is for sissies.

Try Dark Souls

I know it's Dark Souls. My wife managed to find a Collector's Edition on EBay (yay for hitting CTRL+H and hitting a gold mine).

Prepare to die.....

ALOT

Skyrim is for sissies.

Try Dark Souls

Prepare to die.....

ALOT

The sequel's going to be even harder.
To quote one of my friends, "BOHICA - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again" (I have no idea where he got that from)

If anything, these sorts of games might aggravate pre-existing mental instabilities, like for people who have difficulty separating reality and fantasy. The "M" rating should be a clue to people who are in contact with or are guardians of such people to keep these games away from them.

Kids growing up with violent video games do not create violent kids.

I grew up playing all the latest and greatest violent video games, mostly unsupervised. AND I'm Bi-polar, and the grand result is that I'm very non-violent.

Yeah, i thought that too. Until I did a little experiment. I eliminated violent media in my life for a week. I was stunned on how much it affected me without me realizing it. And I am not even talking super violent.

I don't think you can attribute that to the games. You can attribute it to how you act when you don't have something you want.

You are saying that you got violent or had violent thoughts when you didn't have your games, right?

Prepare to die.....

ALOT

The sequel's going to be even harder.
To quote one of my friends, "BOHICA - Bend Over, Here It Comes Again" (I have no idea where he got that from)

I hope you have online because you will need help with bosses. It is by far the hardest game I've ever played. It's a throwback to the games of old where you had 3 lives and no saves. Except you only get one life in this one. When you die you lose all your progress and all your souls (money)

My buddy who religiously plays the game beat it solo. I asked for help for when I got it and he was all like "Do it yourself. It's more fun that way."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

My buddy who religiously plays the game beat it solo. I asked for help for when I got it and he was all like "Do it yourself. It's more fun that way."

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I'm sure it can be done if you watch tutorials and read hints online but the multiplayer in this game is truly unique. There is no voice chat. Who joins your game is completely random (no invites) and other players can invade your game when you are in human form to kill you for souls. You can also randomly drop unwanted gear and it creates monsters in another random persons game. Predetermined hints or even leave false messages that lead to death instead of treasure. Skyrim can only dream of having combat as fluid and visceral as this.

You ever looked into the eyes of a child who plays these violent games all the time? They are dead inside. Any parent getting these games for kids is insane.

And some of you guys are going to argue that this media has no effect on people? Corporations spend billions of dollars each year on 30 second ads because they are confident that those ads will convince you to buy their products and services, yet hour after hour, day after day, of violent and immoral media supposedly has no influence on people. Really? You actually believe that nonsense?

Banning the games? Not an option. First Amendment. But it's time we as individuals and families start stepping up and making better choices on the entertainment we bring into our houses and allow our children to view and participate in. And that starts by making better choices on what we view and participate in.

But please don't prattle on this bs about their being no effect. and dont even think about empowering government more. We need to step up and accept our own power and responsibility.

Your first paragraph is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've read in awhile from a poster I consider reasonable.

First of all its clear you've never actually watched kids play any of those games. I have.

My kids and all their friends used to play them when they all got together. You know what I saw and heard? Laughter, smiles and all manner of enjoyment.

Your age is showing.

Yeah. actually I have. Now, while i have no doubt that you have your opinions, I am fairly certain I am still an expert on what I have done and seen. And yes, I've seen them dead inside. You can laugh and still be dead inside. We are exposing our youth to violence at a level that has never been seen in the history of the earth and we are decieving ourselves into believing it has no effect.

And gramps, Im a heck of a lot younger than you.

I guess they don't have these violent video games in Japan...

Actually, Japan has a large stigma against violence. It's pretty heavily regulated, and only certain channels are permitted to show it (TV Asahi for one). Sex, on the other hand...

Same with their games. You'll notice a lot of violent video games are fairly bloodless, with the exception of games directed toward the American market.

You ever looked into the eyes of a child who plays these violent games all the time? They are dead inside. Any parent getting these games for kids is insane.

And some of you guys are going to argue that this media has no effect on people? Corporations spend billions of dollars each year on 30 second ads because they are confident that those ads will convince you to buy their products and services, yet hour after hour, day after day, of violent and immoral media supposedly has no influence on people. Really? You actually believe that nonsense?

Banning the games? Not an option. First Amendment. But it's time we as individuals and families start stepping up and making better choices on the entertainment we bring into our houses and allow our children to view and participate in. And that starts by making better choices on what we view and participate in.

But please don't prattle on this bs about their being no effect. and dont even think about empowering government more. We need to step up and accept our own power and responsibility.

Your first paragraph is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've read in awhile from a poster I consider reasonable.

First of all its clear you've never actually watched kids play any of those games. I have.

My kids and all their friends used to play them when they all got together. You know what I saw and heard? Laughter, smiles and all manner of enjoyment.

Your age is showing.

Yeah. actually I have. Now, while i have no doubt that you have your opinions, I am fairly certain I am still an expert on what I have done and seen. And yes, I've seen them dead inside. You can laugh and still be dead inside. We are exposing our youth to violence at a level that has never been seen in the history of the earth and we are decieving ourselves into believing it has no effect.

And gramps, Im a heck of a lot younger than you.

Children throughout history have been exposed to far more deviant and vile behavior than these sheltered children we raise now. There are of course exceptions to the rule but that's not the point. The one thing that has changed dramatically is how our children are medicated. 40 years ago medications with side effects ranging from psycotic behavior to suicide werent given to our children. Now they are on a regular basis. Almost all of these crimes are committed by the mentally challenged. For the most part those aren't the type of children playing these games. It has been reported that this killer didn't play ANY of these games.

Video games are no more damaging to our children than alcohol. Both are restricted from minors but parents allow them anyhow.

Stop blaming shit that has NOTHING to do with the murders. I bet all these murderers ate chocolate but I don't see you blaming it.

I guess they don't have these violent video games in Japan...

Actually, Japan has a large stigma against violence. It's pretty heavily regulated, and only certain channels are permitted to show it (TV Asahi for one). Sex, on the other hand...

Same with their games. You'll notice a lot of violent video games are fairly bloodless, with the exception of games directed toward the American market.

Play some Japanese anima games and then try saying that again. Different style but the violence is there and even more graphic. Not to mention the sex in their games.

I think you're thinking of China. They are highly regulated. Starcraft nuts there

Play some Japanese anima games and then try saying that again. Different style but the violence is there and even more graphic. Not to mention the sex in their games.

I think you're thinking of China. They are highly regulated. Starcraft nuts there

Fair enough. I tend to disconnect stylized violence like, say, Macross, and "realistic" violence, like CoD or Battlefield.

And it's South Korea that's nuts for Starcraft, old man. :p
China's more about League of Legends nowadays (fucking World Elite and their pro skills, arrrgh)

Forum List

Back