California will be nuclear free and lead the way

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
I hope that the rest of the country comes to its senses and realize like California that renewables are a far better solution than nuclear.

California Goes Nuclear Free As Diablo Canyon Closes In Favor Of Renewables

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

California, the world’s sixth largest economy, has announced it will go nuclear free as it replaces the Diablo Canyon nuclear reactors with renewable energy.

Californian utility PG&E announced a Joint Proposal with labor and leading environmental organizations this week that intends to increase investment in energy efficiency, renewables, and energy storage, beyondcurrent state mandates, while at the same time phasing out nuclear power in California by 2025. Specifically, PG&E announced that it intends to replace the two nuclear reactors at Diablo Canyon with “a cost-effective, greenhouse gas free portfolio of energy efficiency, renewables, and energy storage.” ...

The Joint Proposal also includes a commitment from PG&E to a 55% renewable energy target in 2031, a legitimately “unprecedented voluntary commitment by a major US energy company.”

I hope that the rest of the country comes to its senses and realize like California that renewables are a far better solution than nuclear.

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

California, the world’s sixth largest economy, has announced it will go nuclear free as it replaces the Diablo Canyon nuclear reactors with renewable energy.

Californian utility PG&E announced a Joint Proposal with labor and leading environmental organizations this week that intends to increase investment in energy efficiency, renewables, and energy storage, beyondcurrent state mandates, while at the same time phasing out nuclear power in California by 2025. Specifically, PG&E announced that it intends to replace the two nuclear reactors at Diablo Canyon with “a cost-effective, greenhouse gas free portfolio of energy efficiency, renewables, and energy storage.” ...

The Joint Proposal also includes a commitment from PG&E to a 55% renewable energy target in 2031, a legitimately “unprecedented voluntary commitment by a major US energy company.”

Except at night, and when there is no wind (or both).

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

Then we'll have to work through that, you know, like getting to the moon and shit.

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

Then we'll have to work through that, you know, like getting to the moon and shit.

or more Fission plants can be built to handle the base load carbon free, leaving surge production and storage to renewables and short start up NG plants, you know, like a realistic plan, not the bug and bunny plan laid out by the enviro-weenie quoted.

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

or more Fission plants can be built to handle the base load carbon free, leaving surge production and storage to renewables and short start up NG plants, you know, like a realistic plan, not the bug and bunny plan laid out by the enviro-weenie quoted.

Reckon you'd better get out there and offer your expertise.

June 22nd, 2016
By Joshua S. Hill

I have a Master's in ChemE, so I am more than likely far more qualified in my opinions.

I have a Master's in ChemE, so I am more than likely far more qualified in my opinions.

Head on out!

Head on out!

Why? There are plenty of competent Power Supply Engineers already, the problem is advocates run the railroad out there, not technical people.

Try arguing base load with an environmentalist and they would think you are talking about the packed powder up in the Rockies.

Head on out!

Why? There are plenty of competent Power Supply Engineers already, the problem is advocates run the railroad out there, not technical people.

Try arguing base load with an environmentalist and they would think you are talking about the packed powder up in the Rockies.

Then it looks to me like you'll be leaving it up to Californians. Good.

Head on out!

Why are you using the "if you want X, you have to go do it yourself" line of argument?

I like fires being fought by firefighters, I don't have to become one myself to have that viewpoint.

Head on out!

Why are you using the "if you want X, you have to go do it yourself" line of argument?

I like fires being fought by firefighters, I don't have to become one myself to have that viewpoint.

States rights.

Head on out!

States rights.

68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb83482906300d539d7e92e5e1.jpg

Great. Now what do you propose we do about some cooling pools for spent rods in the US that are now holding more than 5 times the rods they were designed for? Or the nuke in California that was built with an active fault running right through the plant?

Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant is a 63 MWe boiling water reactor, owned by Pacific Gas and Electric Company that operated from August 1963 to July 1976 just south of Eureka, California. On Monday, January 23, 1961, Pacific Gas and Electric held a luncheon to invite the community to observe the start of the major construction of the nuclear unit.[1] Concern about previously undiscovered seismicfaults combined with more stringent requirements required after the Three Mile Island accident rendered the small plant unprofitable if restarted. It was shut down for refueling and seismic upgrades in July 1976, which dragged on due to changing requirements. PG&E announced plans to permanently shutter the plant in 1983, and it was then placed in SAFSTOR inactive status in 1988.

In 2004 Pacific Gas and Electric Company announced that three nuclear fuel rods were unaccounted for due to conflicting records of their location. The fuel rods were never accounted for, though PG&E investigators believe that they are still onsite in a storage pool. The investigation is believed to have cost one million dollars.[2]

PG&E overlooked key seismic test at Diablo Canyon nuclear plant

PG&E spotted the mistake in 2011, a year after the last replacement equipment was installed at Diablo Canyon, perched on a seaside cliff near San Luis Obispo. The utility insists that its own analysis, performed after the company found the mistake, shows the new equipment would survive an earthquake and loss of coolant after all.

“Engineering and seismic experts performed a subsequent evaluation and confirmed there is sufficient margin in the components’ design to withstand a very rare event of a combined earthquake on the Hosgri Fault and a loss of coolant accident,” said PG&E spokesman Blair Jones. He called the possibility of such an event “infinitesimally small.”

460x1240.jpg

When the Cascade Subduction Zone lets go, how safe would that plant be from the resultant tsunami?

In 2011, the Fort Peck dam in Montana was very close to a wash out. Had it gone, it would have taken out every dam on the Missouri and Mississippi downstream from it. How many nukes would have been shut down? What about the spent rod pools?

We have been assured repeatedly that nukes are fail safe. Three Mile Island and Fukashima have disabused us of that idea.

Great. Now what do you propose we do about some cooling pools for spent rods in the US that are now holding more than 5 times the rods they were designed for? Or the nuke in California that was built with an active fault running right through the plant?

Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Humboldt Bay Nuclear Power Plant is a 63 MWe boiling water reactor, owned by Pacific Gas and Electric Company that operated from August 1963 to July 1976 just south of Eureka, California. On Monday, January 23, 1961, Pacific Gas and Electric held a luncheon to invite the community to observe the start of the major construction of the nuclear unit.[1] Concern about previously undiscovered seismicfaults combined with more stringent requirements required after the Three Mile Island accident rendered the small plant unprofitable if restarted. It was shut down for refueling and seismic upgrades in July 1976, which dragged on due to changing requirements. PG&E announced plans to permanently shutter the plant in 1983, and it was then placed in SAFSTOR inactive status in 1988.

In 2004 Pacific Gas and Electric Company announced that three nuclear fuel rods were unaccounted for due to conflicting records of their location. The fuel rods were never accounted for, though PG&E investigators believe that they are still onsite in a storage pool. The investigation is believed to have cost one million dollars.[2]

PG&E overlooked key seismic test at Diablo Canyon nuclear plant

PG&E spotted the mistake in 2011, a year after the last replacement equipment was installed at Diablo Canyon, perched on a seaside cliff near San Luis Obispo. The utility insists that its own analysis, performed after the company found the mistake, shows the new equipment would survive an earthquake and loss of coolant after all.

“Engineering and seismic experts performed a subsequent evaluation and confirmed there is sufficient margin in the components’ design to withstand a very rare event of a combined earthquake on the Hosgri Fault and a loss of coolant accident,” said PG&E spokesman Blair Jones. He called the possibility of such an event “infinitesimally small.”

460x1240.jpg

When the Cascade Subduction Zone lets go, how safe would that plant be from the resultant tsunami?

In 2011, the Fort Peck dam in Montana was very close to a wash out. Had it gone, it would have taken out every dam on the Missouri and Mississippi downstream from it. How many nukes would have been shut down? What about the spent rod pools?

We have been assured repeatedly that nukes are fail safe. Three Mile Island and Fukashima have disabused us of that idea.

Modern reactors are far safer and are getting better anytime. you still ignore the base load issues of increased renewable percentages to the electric grid.

Waste can be dealt with if anticipated and accounted for. Nothing more than Engineering issues.

We were speaking of waste. Why is not the need for waste disposal taken care of before building the plants?

And, besides, we don't need new nukes, we need more storage. And now we have two companies building grid scale batteries right here in the US. And the Tesla battery comes in at $250 per kw/hr. That is $100 below the break even point for grid scale batteries.

Why Tesla Batteries Are Cheap Enough To Prevent New Power Plants

California is bankrupt. Broke, does anybody know how much money California owes? California is dying, and a big part of that is the energy policy. Replacing Nuclear power with wind and solar and batteries, will cost trillions of dollars, the entire nation will have to foot the bill.

I remember the rolling blackouts in California, during 2001-2002, which came to be known as “Gray outs”, after then-governor Gray Davis. To be fair to Mr. Davis, this crisis wasn't his doing; it was the result of decades of mismanagement of California's electric power supply. Davis was the one who happened to be Governor when the crisis came to a head, and the public largely blamed him for it, leading to him being removed from office in a special recall election in 2003, with Arnold Schwarzenegger being elected as his successor.

California isn't out of the woods as far as electric power goes. Just a few days ago, the state issued a “flex alert”, urging Californians to avoid using too much power during the day due to a potential supply shortfall.

I wonder who will be Governor when the loss of the Diablo Canyon plant causes a similar power crisis, and whether he will suffer the same fate as Gray Davis.

Forum List

Back