California Cancer Warning law may bankrupt Starbucks

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Starbucks coffee in California must have cancer warning, judge says

A little-known not-for-profit group sued some 90 coffee retailers, including Starbucks, on grounds they were violating a California law requiring companies to warn consumers of chemicals in their products that could cause cancer.

One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle said in a decision dated Wednesday that Starbucks and other companies had failed to show there was no significant risk from a carcinogen produced in the coffee roasting process, court documents showed.

Starbucks and other defendants have until April 10 to file objections to the decision.

Starbucks declined to comment, referring reporters to a statement by the National Coffee Association (NCA) that said the industry was considering an appeal and further legal actions.

“Cancer warning labels on coffee would be misleading. The U.S. government’s own Dietary Guidelines state that coffee can be part of a healthy lifestyle,” the NCA statement said.

This is a result of California's "everything causes cancer" law that mandates signage to that effect. If I was Starbucks I would just shut down in the State.

A little-known not-for-profit group sued some 90 coffee retailers, including Starbucks, on grounds they were violating a California law requiring companies to warn consumers of chemicals in their products that could cause cancer.

One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle said in a decision dated Wednesday that Starbucks and other companies had failed to show there was no significant risk from a carcinogen produced in the coffee roasting process, court documents showed.

Starbucks and other defendants have until April 10 to file objections to the decision.

Starbucks declined to comment, referring reporters to a statement by the National Coffee Association (NCA) that said the industry was considering an appeal and further legal actions.

“Cancer warning labels on coffee would be misleading. The U.S. government’s own Dietary Guidelines state that coffee can be part of a healthy lifestyle,” the NCA statement said.

This is a result of California's "everything causes cancer" law that mandates signage to that effect. If I was Starbucks I would just shut down in the State.

I REFUSE to give up coffee. REFUSE.

I'm allergic to caffeine in any dose more than you get from chocolate, so this impacts me in no way whatsoever.

Still an idiotic application of a law written far to broadly.

I may not even blame the judge in this case, because I have a feeling the law was written by California to place the burden of proof on the provider of the product, not on the person suing them.

I'm allergic to caffeine in any dose more than you get from chocolate, so this impacts me in no way whatsoever.

I may not even blame the judge in this case, because I have a feeling the law was written by California to place the burden of proof on the provider of the product, not on the person suing them.

:ack-1: ZOMG. Allergic to caffeine? How do you exist? I won't be traveling to California.

:ack-1: ZOMG. Allergic to caffeine? How do you exist? I won't be traveling to California.

You get used to it. i overdid it in my youth and now a coffee will rip my digestive track to shreds.

Starbucks will be fine

Starbucks will be fine

Considering the fines can be per incident, maybe not.

That doesn't answer the obvious question about how stupid the law is.

California needs to STOP labeling things. Especially deadly chemicals like draino and rat poison.
Natural Selection, if you will.

Forum List

Back