California blackouts-A canary in the coal mine?

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
Pay close attention to what’s going on in California-blackouts and power outages due to wildfires sparked by leaking energy from giant, isolated transformers high above the ground susceptible to wind and elements of weathering.

We are modern humans and we owe a great debt of gratitude to Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. The magic juice that comes through wires has transformed the world in ways that allow humanity to escape the drudgery of survival that separates us from the animal kingdom. Electricity is power and that power can be used in place of human sweat to stay warm, launder clothes, operate heavy machinery, light cities and homes and communicate at the speed of light from coast to coast.

When what we now take for granted is suddenly taken away, cold-turkey reality descends on us like a time machine erasing comfort, safety and security leaving us in the dark, the cold, the dirty and the uncertain. The genie that came out of that bottle is not our slave, it is our master, but it is a master built on a foundation of outdated, archaic, methodology that has remained in a near-static state changing only in grudgingly small ways leaving itself vulnerable to natural and unnatural threats.

The Panama Canal was dug in 11 years; the interstate highway system took about four decades to complete yet the delivery system of US electrical grids is essentially the same as it was in the early nineteenth century when the Tesla Coil and alternating current won out over Thomas Edison. Today much of our electricity comes to us through copper wires strung through poles just as signals from the first telegraph were sent when it replaced the Pony Express in the 1860’s.

It’s windy and dry in California and fires are ignited by a grid that’s the same as it was when Franklin Roosevelt called for electricity to be delivered to rural farms in the 1930’s. Why are these power companies not updating and upgrading putting the wires underground and protected like they do in cities?

A few months without electricity due to a natural event or a terrorist act will regress us back to animals. Why are those that control the strings of electrical power never called on this? Electricity is as important to humanity as the discovery of fire making or agriculture. Not worried? Wait till it’s gone.

A tree from my property fell into a power line. I reported it. City did nothing since power was still on. Few days later tree caught on fire so called fire department who looked at it, said nothing they could do since nobody was in danger, but the electric department would be out in an hour or two to address it. Over the next fews days the tree would randomly flame up and go out with no city officials showing up. I tweeted a picture of the tree on fire with this story and @'d several people from the city at 6:00 pm and how pathetic our city was. Nobody replied but at 7:30 pm a very pissy work crew was out cutting up the tree out of the power lines. Strange how social media can prompt a response that telephone calls, including a 911 call, cannot.

Power outages tend towards localized affairs ... and there's agreements throughout the nation for power companies to rush in to aid restoring power ...

The problems in California are due to a lack of maintenance, repair and replacement ... PG&E was paying dividends instead of upkeep ... this should be a wakeup call to everyone to check with their own power company ... you paid for this work, you need to make sure it's being done properly ...

Burying cable only protects it from some natural disasters, but not all ... so there's a balance between "more often/costs less" and "less often/costs more" ... and it is fairly expensive to repair broken underground cable ... my understanding is that lightning is the bug-a-boo, a common event that really rips up buried cable ...

The point I'm trying to make is that we've had electricity for well over a hundred years with all kinds of wonderful innovations in devices that use it. But we are still getting it delivered to us in the same rickety way that started at the Niagara power station run by George Westinghouse in 1896.

The point I'm trying to make is that we've had electricity for well over a hundred years with all kinds of wonderful innovations in devices that use it. But we are still getting it delivered to us in the same rickety way that started at the Niagara power station run by George Westinghouse in 1896.

Some ancient technology is perfectly fine ... it works ... I'm not sure how else we get Niagara power to New York City ... so what kind of alternative do you see? ...

They could bury the lines underground to protect them from the elements and extremist tree-huggers.

Pay close attention to what’s going on in California-blackouts and power outages due to wildfires sparked by leaking energy from giant, isolated transformers high above the ground susceptible to wind and elements of weathering.

We are modern humans and we owe a great debt of gratitude to Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. The magic juice that comes through wires has transformed the world in ways that allow humanity to escape the drudgery of survival that separates us from the animal kingdom. Electricity is power and that power can be used in place of human sweat to stay warm, launder clothes, operate heavy machinery, light cities and homes and communicate at the speed of light from coast to coast.

When what we now take for granted is suddenly taken away, cold-turkey reality descends on us like a time machine erasing comfort, safety and security leaving us in the dark, the cold, the dirty and the uncertain. The genie that came out of that bottle is not our slave, it is our master, but it is a master built on a foundation of outdated, archaic, methodology that has remained in a near-static state changing only in grudgingly small ways leaving itself vulnerable to natural and unnatural threats.

The Panama Canal was dug in 11 years; the interstate highway system took about four decades to complete yet the delivery system of US electrical grids is essentially the same as it was in the early nineteenth century when the Tesla Coil and alternating current won out over Thomas Edison. Today much of our electricity comes to us through copper wires strung through poles just as signals from the first telegraph were sent when it replaced the Pony Express in the 1860’s.

It’s windy and dry in California and fires are ignited by a grid that’s the same as it was when Franklin Roosevelt called for electricity to be delivered to rural farms in the 1930’s. Why are these power companies not updating and upgrading putting the wires underground and protected like they do in cities?

A few months without electricity due to a natural event or a terrorist act will regress us back to animals. Why are those that control the strings of electrical power never called on this? Electricity is as important to humanity as the discovery of fire making or agriculture. Not worried? Wait till it’s gone.

A tree from my property fell into a power line. I reported it. City did nothing since power was still on. Few days later tree caught on fire so called fire department who looked at it, said nothing they could do since nobody was in danger, but the electric department would be out in an hour or two to address it. Over the next fews days the tree would randomly flame up and go out with no city officials showing up. I tweeted a picture of the tree on fire with this story and @'d several people from the city at 6:00 pm and how pathetic our city was. Nobody replied but at 7:30 pm a very pissy work crew was out cutting up the tree out of the power lines. Strange how social media can prompt a response that telephone calls, including a 911 call, cannot.

What city and where? The story isn't as interesting without that info.

Forum List

Back