California becomes the first state to require pet stores to sell rescue animals

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost

Yay!!! Finally something to be proud of!!

California will be the first state to require pet stores to sell rescue animals under legislation signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday.

Starting in 2019, pet stores will transition to selling dogs, cats and rabbits from shelters or adoption centers. Stores can be fined $500 for each animal for sale that is not a rescue.

“This is a big win for our four-legged friends, of course," said bill author Assemblyman Patrick O’Donnell (D-Long Beach) in a statement.

What about stores that would rather not sell any animals at all?

All the pet supply stores that I know of only sell animals from rescue groups. And they start at $400.00. They have days when the group comes. Different days different groups. But there are plenty of stores without animals at all.

It only applies to those pet shops that sell puppies, kittens and rabbits. No more mills!!!

Puppy mills should be banned and those who run them should live out the rest of their years in a tiny cage filled with their own excrement.

My dog is a rescue. He was not raised at all by his mother, basically separated at birth from her as she was overly protective of them as their owners were trying to give away her litter, so, my dog and his siblings lived their first 8 weeks in a closet until one by one they found a home. There are other animals who were more abused than he was, but his start in life had to be traumatic, and he was shivering with great fear when we first met, something I will never forget.

Thus, it was a bit of an uphill battle raising him and making him a secure and disciplined dog. Even as he is in his middle age, he has his moments of overzealous energy and defiance. He loves us to death though and I wouldn't change having picked him up, but as a puppy it was tiring.

Abuse of animals are done by the same people who abuse humans. Vile people, who will find their way to hell.

Yay!!! Finally something to be proud of!!

California will be the first state to require pet stores to sell rescue animals under legislation signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday.

Starting in 2019, pet stores will transition to selling dogs, cats and rabbits from shelters or adoption centers. Stores can be fined $500 for each animal for sale that is not a rescue.

“This is a big win for our four-legged friends, of course," said bill author Assemblyman Patrick O’Donnell (D-Long Beach) in a statement.
You can already get pets from shelters now all that's going to happen is that the price of rescue animals will rise so pet stores can make a profit off of them

That is still over a year away. Why can this start sooner?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back