Cali moves to save Yosemite.

Which do you believe should take priority?

There is no tourist created substantial damage being done to Yosemite. The idea that it "needs to be saved" from bicycle vendors is ludicrous. Especially when you have a $400 a night Hotel there and a Golf Course up in Wawona.

You wanna see ABUSE?? Go find pictures of the Half Dome FIREFALL that used to take place. Where the Glacier Point Hotel used to toss a dumpster size load of hot coals off the face to entertain folks in the Valley on summer nights.. THAT was abuse for amusement only.. Or pictures of the hole in giant redwoods that you could drive a wagon thru..

Everything else is the cost of making nature ACCESSIBLE to the widest spectrum of folks possible.

We've gotten better. SO GOOD --- that even ardent environmentalists can weigh the "costs".

Well, that's interesting, particularly as I never said anything about "saving it from bicycles vendors". But you go right ahead and create your red herrings. We are used to it. Fireballs at half dome? So I guess the local wildlife did that, not the tourists, eh?

LOL red herring, red herring!

Only one poster here cries "red herring' and then does that very thing in the same post...

LOL, moron... like I told neuman a while back.. If you claim "red herring" it should either stand on it's own, as if it is obvious. OR you should follow it with an explanation of that claim and/or the previous claim you are referring to. If you just make your own red herring right after it just draws attention to your own ignorance...

Last edited:
stop Yurting flacaltenn. I live in this "great nation's" capital (Caribou barbie-speak ;)) , & the national mall was trampled to dust. It basically became a rectangular dust bowl because of all the foot traffic. Yosemite, likewise is a major attraction on the West coast and is getting trampled w/ excessive traffic and private vendors aren't helping mitigate it..

Which do you believe should take priority?

There is no tourist created substantial damage being done to Yosemite. The idea that it "needs to be saved" from bicycle vendors is ludicrous. Especially when you have a $400 a night Hotel there and a Golf Course up in Wawona.

You wanna see ABUSE?? Go find pictures of the Half Dome FIREFALL that used to take place. Where the Glacier Point Hotel used to toss a dumpster size load of hot coals off the face to entertain folks in the Valley on summer nights.. THAT was abuse for amusement only.. Or pictures of the hole in giant redwoods that you could drive a wagon thru..

Everything else is the cost of making nature ACCESSIBLE to the widest spectrum of folks possible.

We've gotten better. SO GOOD --- that even ardent environmentalists can weigh the "costs".

Well, that's interesting, particularly as I never said anything about "saving it from bicycles vendors". But you go right ahead and create your red herrings. We are used to it. Fireballs at half dome? So I guess the local wildlife did that, not the tourists, eh?

Boy -- you miss out on soooo much by not reading and listening to others..

1) The OP article is MOSTLY about the "blight" of private contractor vendors in the Park.. GoldiRocks is also all for banning any amenities on Anti-Capitalist grounds.. You should READ IT.. There'd be a lot less "herring" on your chin...

2) I made it CLEAR that those half-wit notions of sending fireballs down Half Dome or carving roads directly thru a Redwood is what USED to happen there. It's been managed much more wisely in the past 50 years..

Don't know how to converse with you if you're missing that much of the words in front of you..

Last edited:
stop Yurting flacaltenn. I live in this "great nation's" capital (Caribou barbie-speak ;)) , & the national mall was trampled to dust. It basically became a rectangular dust bowl because of all the foot traffic. Yosemite, likewise is a major attraction on the West coast and is getting trampled w/ excessive traffic and private vendors aren't helping mitigate it..

Hey Barbie... Comparing the Capitol Mall to Yosemite is part of the reason you can't possibly comprehend this dust-up over mgt of the Y. Valley.

There is NO COMPARISON to the management problems or "crowd control". PLUS -- folks tend to be better behaved in a National Park because they go there to absorb nature, NOT have a protest rally or splatter paint on the Lincoln Statue.

The fact that you resent the phrase "great nation's" capital (sp.) and you can't even SPELL the place that live in --- says more about you ---- than Barbie...

LOL, drama...

I have been to the national mall, and it's not at all like a dust bowl.. It's been a little while since I was there, but it's actually pretty well maintained all things considered.

Also,one has to take into consideration the fact, THE MALL WAS BUILT IN THE HOPES OF GETTING LARGE TRAFFIC!!!!!

Jesus, you warmers have the weakest grasp on reality...

Last edited:

Hey Barbie... Comparing the Capitol Mall to Yosemite is part of the reason you can't possibly comprehend this dust-up over mgt of the Y. Valley.

There is NO COMPARISON to the management problems or "crowd control". PLUS -- folks tend to be better behaved in a National Park because they go there to absorb nature, NOT have a protest rally or splatter paint on the Lincoln Statue.

The fact that you resent the phrase "great nation's" capital (sp.) and you can't even SPELL the place that live in --- says more about you ---- than Barbie...

Are you for or against increased restrictions on the number of people visiting Yosemite?

Are you for or against increased restrictions on the number of people visiting Yosemite?

I MIGHT be persuaded to ban overnight camping in the Valley.. But doing that just makes me look like a hypocrit since I can afford a night at the Ahwahnee or have my friends' private cabin in Wawona to go to..

There is no need for restricting # of folks vistiting Yosemite Valley. It's pretty much self-regulating. There is ONE ROAD in and out of the Valley and the rangers at the gate will TELL YOU how long the line is to get in and your chances of finding parking space.. If you choose to go in and there is no place to park -- all you will do is drive around in trees and barely see any sights..

NO ONE (except foreign tourists) is stupid enough to show up EXPECTING a campsite. They are booked 6 months in advance.

There is only enough space to take what the parking lots can hold. THERE'S your regulation right there. To my knowledge, no additional parking has been created in the Valley in at least 10 years.

I'm am completely UNCONCERNED about volume impact on the rest of the Park.. And that's the vast majority of land within the boundaries. When I was in Cali -- I'd be there 3 times a year. Only would go to the Valley MAYBE every 2nd year.. There is so much more to do there, then concrete trails and watching tourists get deer kicked trying to pet them..

Last edited:
We are impressed that you know someone with a cabin inside the park. Perhaps, if we ever actually meet, we could gt your autograph so that Starbucks will only charge us $2.75 for a cup of coffee.

Okay. Why are you unconcerned about volume impact to the park?

after you remove the hyperbole from that post, theres only four words left. Come on now.

As to the OP, I also live an hour from Shenandoah. Ever heard of it? :eusa_whistle: Its in the Blue Ridge. I've hiked many a mile, weeks at a time, NOT days.

We are impressed that you know someone with a cabin inside the park. Perhaps, if we ever actually meet, we could gt your autograph so that Starbucks will only charge us $2.75 for a cup of coffee.

Okay. Why are you unconcerned about volume impact to the park?

There is very little traffic over the MAJORITY of the park.. Trail passes are HIGHLY controlled, and the mosquitoes devour anyone trying to hoof the high alpine meadows most of the year. The whole focus is on the Valley.. The access there is limited to single LOOP of traffic and easily controlled as I said above.

I have seen NO IMPACT to the high country from tourist volume over 20 years. And the major changes to the VALLEY have all been from Natural events. Yes -- there are less trees in the valley than in the 1800s. That's not a permanent scar of any type.

I've floated the Valley maybe 8 times down the stream. It's NOT a white water river, and there's barely enough water there to float it more than 3 months a year. The banks are gradual and shallow for the allowed float run and you could step out vitually anywhere without eroding the banks. The DEER have left more footprints there. And the FLOODS have altered the stream more than humans.

Asking folks to rent bicycles and floats outside the park is stupid. As transporting them in and out is a liability if you are turned around at the Gate because of congestion. The neighboring communities are actually VERY ACTIVE in this movement to get Capitalism out of the park.. Thinking that they will be the benefactors of closing many or all of the concessions within the valley.
Follow the money --- right?

If the Park Service WANTED TO --- they could improve the situation for tourist and whiny eco-nut alike by simply taking to Twitter and email and giving current traffic and parking counts. They could also instant message INDIVIDUALS who sign up for access during congested periods so they could hang out in El Portal or Fish Camp until their number came up.. But competence and excellence like that is BEYOND the typical govt operation..

I'm sure StarBucks or Yelp or Fandango could do a better job of getting the right number of folks to the Gates at the right time..

Glad you're so interested in obtaining my autograph.. You'd be more impressed if you saw the cabin.. No starbucks there. Just the tiny General Store at Wawona and a one room ad hoc library.
But you can walk the River and be at the Wawona Hotel in 20 minutes for a round of Golf.
Probably find the Park Superintendent there on the links more likely than not..

after you remove the hyperbole from that post, theres only four words left. Come on now.

As to the OP, I also live an hour from Shenandoah. Ever heard of it? :eusa_whistle: Its in the Blue Ridge. I've hiked many a mile, weeks at a time, NOT days.

Just learning about the Smokies and Blue Ridge. From what I've seen of the Smokies --- they have MORE of a problem with volume creating havoc than Yosemite does.. The Yosemite loop road is probably only 5 or 10 miles long. The Smokies has 100s of miles of road access to it and bumper to bumper traffic in the Spring and Fall..

This is South fork of the Merced behind the "urban center" of Wawona in Yosemite..

Anyone see "congestion" in April?

flacaltenn-albums-fun-stuff-picture5963-pict0194.jpg

Last edited:
In a bad drought year, I went and stood under Yosemite Falls. It was down to a trickle.

I then hoofed it up the 3000' ascent to the top. Brutal switchback trail. Walked down the mostly dry creekbed to the lip. Turns out you can't peer over the lip into the valley, because it's a gradual curve as opposed to a sharp edge.

You dishonest little drama queen...

Shit-for-brains, what are you babbling about now?

Yosemite Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In years of little snow, the falls may actually cease flowing altogether in late summer or fall.

Which would be what I said, shit-for-brains. A drought year. Almost dry falls. Holy shit, you're stupid. I mean, here you post a link confirming me, and then declare it proves I lied.

1988-89 North American drought - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh wait, this is just that retard thing you do where you fabricate some senseless story about how everyone else is a liar, while simultaneously jerking off furiously. For god's sake, do it in private instead of here on the forums, eh?

2) I made it CLEAR that those half-wit notions of sending fireballs down Half Dome or carving roads directly thru a Redwood is what USED to happen there.

Glacier Point, south side of the valley

Half Dome, east side of the valley.

Firefall was at Glacier Point, not Half Dome.

Yosemite Firefall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're welcome, Mr. Yosemite expert.

You caught me having a rare lapse of excellence in posting.. :lol:
Good catch chief !!!
The 1st time I said it -- I missed the error.

The irony is that Glacier Point Hotel burned down.. Nature's balance of justice in action.

Knew the drop was from Glacier Point. I screwed up.. Because you see, I'm much too young to have been there to see it in person.. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Yeah right. Reduce traffic congestion and shrink human presence. Do they understand that they are advocating conflicting agendas? America belongs to the people. It's time that under-educated petty bureaucrats stop micro-managing the "human presence" in areas that belong to us.

Yeah right. Reduce traffic congestion and shrink human presence. Do they understand that they are advocating conflicting agendas? America belongs to the people. It's time that under-educated petty bureaucrats stop micro-managing the "human presence" in areas that belong to us.

The problem is that overcrowding it today steals it from the people who want to visit it tomorrow. The preservation of the park has a priority. Restricting the rate at which people can visit does not take the park from the people.

Yosemite is not run by petty bureaucrats.

Forum List

Back