Cable News Ratings: MSNBC Draws Lowest Primetime Viewership in Nearly 7 Years

MSNBC should have low ratings. It's just like FOX, except they wear the Liberal team jerseys instead of the Conservative team jerseys. The problem, of course, is that Liberals don't latch onto cable news and talk radio in the vast numbers that Conservatives do.

And let's be honest--"cable news" is an oxymoron. It's political entertainment, not news.

So us "liberals" are neither shocked nor concerned about MSNBC's low ratings. That network is unwatchable--all rhetoric, just like FOX.

Almost every time I have watched FOX opinion shows, they have had a liberal with an opposing view on with them and have shown respect for him or her while agreeing to disagree. When I have watched MSNBC, I have usually seen three or four smirking liberals all agreeing with what each of them says while mocking or denigrating a Republican or a conservative..

MSNBC should have low ratings. It's just like FOX, except they wear the Liberal team jerseys instead of the Conservative team jerseys. The problem, of course, is that Liberals don't latch onto cable news and talk radio in the vast numbers that Conservatives do.

And let's be honest--"cable news" is an oxymoron. It's political entertainment, not news.

So us "liberals" are neither shocked nor concerned about MSNBC's low ratings. That network is unwatchable--all rhetoric, just like FOX.

Almost every time I have watched FOX opinion shows, they have had a liberal with an opposing view on with them and have shown respect for him or her while agreeing to disagree. When I have watched MSNBC, I have usually seen three or four smirking liberals all agreeing with what each of them says while mocking or denigrating a Republican or a conservative..
I'm a "liberal," and I can safely say there is nothing worth watching on MSNBC. They do not address real compelling issues like income stagnation, wealth concentration, the rise of the American police state, the erosion of democracy (via corporately-sponsored candidates), or education.

They DO address all the daily chatter about "Liberal vs. Conservatives" that don't actually make any difference at all in anybody's lives; I don't care about gun control, and there will be no action taken on abortion rights, immigration, or anything else. I know how this government works.

Cable news is for idiots.

MSNBC is going to have to come to the conclusion at some point that thou shalt not live by liberal drivel alone.
With the election just a few days away, if they're not getting good ratings now, when will they ever ?

MSNBC president Phil Griffin recently said the cable news network needs to evolve. The October ratings agree with him.
Also read: MSNBC's President Phil Griffin Defends ‘Strong Brand’ Amid Ratings Woes
Monday-Sunday ratings for October 2014 delivered MSNBC's lowest primetime total viewers since December 2007 and its lowest primetime demographic rating since June 2005. MSNBC primetime drew 502,000 total viewers and 122,000 in its key demo 25-54 viewers. Compared to the same month last year, primetime was down 37 percent in total viewers and 48 percent in the demo.
MSNBC ranked second in primetime total viewers, ahead of CNN and behind first-place Fox News. The network ranked third behind Fox News and CNN in the primetime demo and total day viewers. In the total day demo, MSNBC ranked fourth behind Fox News, CNN, and HLN.
Also read: CNN Topples MSNBC in August Ratings – But Fox News Is Still No. 1
Compared to October 2013, CNN primetime was down 18 percent in viewers and 3 percent in the demo. In total day, the network was down 5 percent in viewers and flat in the demo. CNN primetime drew 475,000 viewers and 184,000 demo viewers; for total day, CNN garnered 418,000 viewers and 134,000 demo viewers.
As usual, Fox News ranked first in all measurements. Compared to the same month last year, Fox News primetime was down 8 percent in both total viewers and demo. In total day, FNC was down 7 percent in both viewers and the demo. In primetime, Fox News delivered 1,714,000 viewers and 296,000 demo viewers. For total day, Fox drew 1,056,000 viewers and 226,000 demo viewers. On an individual show basis, Fox had the top 14 cable news programs in total viewers and the top nine programs in the 25-54 demo.
Also read: Cable News Ratings 2013: Fox Tops While CNN Slides Into Second
Looking at measurements strictly on a Monday-Friday basis, MSNBC ranked second in primetime viewers, with 583,000 viewers vs. CNN's 509,000 viewers. The results were flipped for the demo, as CNN beat MSNBC, 192,000 vs. 114,000. CNN also beat MSNBC in the total day demo, 134k vs. MSNBC's 85k. That's four months in a row CNN has edged MSNBC in these demo measurements–its longest streak since 2008.
For total viewers among shows, “Hardball” beat “OutFront” in total viewers (726,000 vs. 590,000). “The Rachel Maddow Show” beat CNN's 9 p.m. ET (“Anderson Cooper 360” and original series) 725,000 vs. 516,000. ”The Last Word” with Lawrence O'Donnell beat “CNN Tonight” (544,000 vs. CNN's 479,000).
Again, the numbers are in CNN's favor when looking at the 25-54 demo. “Outfront” beat “Hardball” (196,000 vs. 124,000), the 9 p.m. hour beat “The Rachel Maddow Show” (208,000 vs. 134,000), and “CNN Tonight” beat “The Last Word” (168,000 vs. 109,000). At 8 p.m., Anderson Cooper's program defeated MSNBC's “All In” with Chris Hayes in both measurements: 565,000 viewers vs. MSNBC's 544,000 viewers; 195,000 demo viewers vs. 106,000 demo viewers.
In the morning, “New Day” defeated “Morning Joe” in both total viewers and the demo: 346,000 viewers vs. 342,000 viewers; 108,000 demo viewers vs. 86,000 demo viewers

Cable News Ratings MSNBC Draws Lowest Primetime Viewership in Nearly 7 Years - Yahoo TV

Yep, most liberals don't watch MSNBC to get their news. Liberals like to be better informed than that. MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News are "news as entertainment " and not real news. It's too bad that conservatives can't recognize that as well.

We realize that MSNBC and Fox News both pander to a base. Most of us gather news from many different sources and weigh the results.
I for one watch some Fox, some CNN, some C-span, many online sources, in and outside the country.
I used to add MSNBC to my mix, but no more, they simply want to bash conservatives, and any media organization that would hire Al Capone Sharpton is simply out of touch with the vast majority of Americans.

Fox isn`t 100% dem bashing? Are you sure? Whatever the case, only one of those networks keep their viewers stupid.
University Study Fox Viewers More Misinformed - US News

Do you believe everything that the left says? One very biased study does not make it true.

No
They also have Dem's on who bash Repubs.
Actually 2 University studies say that you`re stupid. What`s biased about the Univ. of Maryland and Fairleigh Dickinson University?

Insults don't do anything but make you look ignorant.
They are both very liberal Universities and receive grants from the Government.
What makes them "liberal" Universities and what do grants have to do with their surveys?

Most colleges that have majors in liberal arts are liberal. Both of those colleges do.

Any University Government Grants are all biased, based on the fact that if their studies don't reflect what they want to hear, the Grant money is not rewarded to them the next year.

I'll never understand why the suits above the NBC suits let it go on. Hundreds of millions of dollars in ad revenue slips right through their fingers every year because of their extreme lefty programming. As corporate officers they've got certain fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders that aren't happening IMO.

Fox isn`t 100% dem bashing? Are you sure? Whatever the case, only one of those networks keep their viewers stupid.
University Study Fox Viewers More Misinformed - US News

Do you believe everything that the left says? One very biased study does not make it true.

No
Actually 2 University studies say that you`re stupid. What`s biased about the Univ. of Maryland and Fairleigh Dickinson University?

What makes them "liberal" Universities and what do grants have to do with their surveys?

Most colleges that have majors in liberal arts are liberal. Both of those colleges do.

Any University Government Grants are all biased, based on the fact that if their studies don't reflect what they want to hear, the Grant money is not rewarded to them the next year.
Are you saying that these universities received no Govt. grants during the Bush or Reagan years? Sriously, that`s what you are saying.

No

Are you saying that these universities received no Govt. grants during the Bush or Reagan years? Sriously, that`s what you are saying.

NO that is not what I am saying.

If the OP had some cognitive ability....he'd be able to figure out why this isn't bad news for liberals.

Let's see, there is one conservative news source, and there are two liberal news sources plus all of the regular news networks that are not conservative. Hard to imagine why Fox would have the highest ratings, lol.

MSNBC will probably get a much needed bump during the election coverage.
But their shitty ratings is what they deserve because of the people they hire as hosts....and because they are just an extension of the WH communications dept.

My boy Chris Hayes covering Cris Christie's latest outburst the other night again went after
the Governor for bridgegate even though he was cleared on that.

crazy-matthews-rtp1.jpg

MSNBC is going to have to come to the conclusion at some point that thou shalt not live by liberal drivel alone.

They don't, they have rightwing drivel on in the morning.

Are you referring to the 'Morning Mika" show by any chance? Or that right winger Chuck Todd?

Yeah...The Morning Mika chick update show.

It's wasn't half bad a while back when Joe "I'm a conservative" gave two shits about a show that bares his name.

Forum List

Back