CA Sales Tax Drops 1%

The Guvinator wanted people to vote on taxes? but then his own party shot him down?

:lol:

But thanks for clearing up that it wasn't an idea by the dems to lower taxes. I was looking up the suicide hot line number b/c I thought I had seen everything.

We have a new Governor, Jerry Brown, a Democrat. His plan was to balance the budget with half cuts and half taxes. The taxes, were going to just be the temporary ones extended for another year, should the voters approve. The GOP blocked the Governor from putting the tax option on the ballot, so the residents of CA were never even allowed to vote on it.

Rumour has that the Gov thanked the GOP by focusing the heaviest cuts in their districts.

In DontBeStupid's world, if his business is off 30%, he raises his prices 50%. Libs are such great business people.

oh, wait. hold on again

Did they also cut spending? b/c if they didn't, this tax cut may not work out as well as they hope.

It may bring people into the state lines to buy things and people that do live there will have a little more money in their pockets.

A family of 4 spends ~ $600 on food a month so they will have enough to go to MacDonalds and get a Bigmac supersized. Considering theres ~ 4 million families in CA, that's a lot of burgers.

Sales tax is not attached to food purchased in California Grocery stores. The tax is applied to food prepared and sold to a consumer in restaurants. Individuals will benefit very little form this cut of 1%. However, because the GOP refused to let the people decide, state beachers, parks and campgrounds will be closed or not maintained; and cities, counties and special districts have been cut, meaning pot holes will grow, streets will not be cleaned and more Californians will be unemployed.

:shock:HOLD UP!:shock:

Did I just slip into some kind of parallel universe?

CA is lowering taxes? :disbelief:

what's next? TX bans oil drilling? :lalala:

:420:

CA had raised taxes temporarily a few years ago to balance the budget. The Governor wanted to put those taxes on the ballot to allow the voters of CA to decide if they wanted to keep them or not. The GOP said no, the voters are not allowed to decide, and that the taxes should expire, which they did today.

The Guvinator wanted people to vote on taxes? but then his own party shot him down?

But thanks for clearing up that it wasn't an idea by the dems to lower taxes. I was looking up the suicide hot line number b/c I thought I had seen everything.

Put the phone down, TT. Don't go checking out on us. You surely wouldn't want to miss that carnival unfold in Ca!!!!

We have a new Governor, Jerry Brown, a Democrat. His plan was to balance the budget with half cuts and half taxes. The taxes, were going to just be the temporary ones extended for another year, should the voters approve. The GOP blocked the Governor from putting the tax option on the ballot, so the residents of CA were never even allowed to vote on it.

Rumour has that the Gov thanked the GOP by focusing the heaviest cuts in their districts.

Yeah, everybody knows Californicators are waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy under taxed.

Since CA taxes everything, this is a hugely progressive move on taxes.

The deal with sales taxes is they are steeply regressive. Lower income folks pay a larger proportion than higher income persons.

California does not tax any kind of service. It is one of the most steeply regressive tax regimes in the country.

That contradicts. You may want to clarify.

The reason they don't tax services is b/c most people work in the service industry.
hotels, ski lodges, beach bars, and all the other touristy stuff.

CA had raised taxes temporarily a few years ago to balance the budget. The Governor wanted to put those taxes on the ballot to allow the voters of CA to decide if they wanted to keep them or not. The GOP said no, the voters are not allowed to decide, and that the taxes should expire, which they did today.

Put the phone down, TT. Don't go checking out on us. You surely wouldn't want to miss that carnival unfold in Ca!!!!

Why do you post? It seems you never have anything intelligent to share? Just curious.

Sales tax is not attached to food purchased in California Grocery stores. The tax is applied to food prepared and sold to a consumer in restaurants. Individuals will benefit very little form this cut of 1%. However, because the GOP refused to let the people decide, state beachers, parks and campgrounds will be closed or not maintained; and cities, counties and special districts have been cut, meaning pot holes will grow, streets will not be cleaned and more Californians will be unemployed.

This in a nut shell. If CA has to close beaches and parks, it will lose out on jobs attached to those areas as well as lose out on revenue from tourists.

It's interesting that none of the "conservatives" here are even attempting to show how this tax cut will increase jobs and businesses in CA.

oh, wait. hold on again

Did they also cut spending? b/c if they didn't, this tax cut may not work out as well as they hope.

It may bring people into the state lines to buy things and people that do live there will have a little more money in their pockets.

A family of 4 spends ~ $600 on food a month so they will have enough to go to MacDonalds and get a Bigmac supersized. Considering theres ~ 4 million families in CA, that's a lot of burgers.

:eek:OH MY GOD!!! :eek::eek: THE CALIFORNIAN WORLD WILL COME TO AN END!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

do they have city and county level governments in CA?

Ya know, where local people can take care of thier local parks?

This in a nut shell. If CA has to close beaches and parks, it will lose out on jobs attached to those areas as well as lose out on revenue from tourists.

It's interesting that none of the "conservatives" here are even attempting to show how this tax cut will increase jobs and businesses in CA.

Everybody knows that talking more of people's paychecks induces them to spend more. I mean hey, if I have $100 less in disposable income, my first inclination is to spend $100 more!

Still waiting for your explanation as to how draining the private sector produces wealth and jobs.

And you'll get it as soon as you explain how dropping taxes in CA will lead to job growth and increased business.

If you need to have it explained to you that less disposable income leads to less spending, than you are hopeless and franlkly, not too bright.

Perhaps you should put down Das Kapital for a moment and pick up The Wealth of Nations.

Why do you post? It seems you never have anything intelligent to share? Just curious.

^^^ If that's not a pot - kettle moment, there is no such thing. ^^^​

California taxes: Some California taxes take a dip - latimes.com

Reporting from Sacramento and Los Angeles -- Millions of California shoppers and car owners are in for some rare good news from Sacramento: tax cuts.

Starting Friday, the statewide sales tax rate drops by one percentage point — a penny on the dollar — and the annual vehicle license charge that drivers pay tumbles by 43%.

Well, this will be a good test of "conservative" tax policy.

If you did your homework you would know that the increase was a temporary thing to increase tax revenue in california for the past 3-5 years. Now it has expired and we will have to vote any new increases. So no, this is not about conservative policy cutting taxes, it is about expiring policy.

I suggest you follow your name and not be stupid.

Forum List

Back