Buy American

Thank you for posting this. I was trying to find the actual salary information on American companies vs. Toyota and Honda without any luck.

So much disinformation gets repeated that it becomes implanted in everyone's mind. I thought it sounded wrong that assembly line workers were making $70+ an hour and I see that I was correct.

Our media is so biased it isn't funny. Just look at all the stories on the Athiest sign in our state. Few of them tell the whole story. That our capital started out with the Holiday tree but then last year added a Menorah. A man sued for the right to put up a nativity and rightfully was granted that right. Then the freedom from religion group from another state came in and put up a sign that says "At this season of THE WINTER SOLSTICE may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world."

Now that in and of itself isn't bad and I would have no problem with it being on our state capital if it stopped there, but it goes on to say "Religion is but a myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

To me that last part is hate speech and when called on it the Freedom from Religion crowd has the audacity to claim that a nativity is hate speech.

The sign was stolen, and found. I'm sure a lot will be made of the terrible Christians that stole the sign, even if they aren't Christians who'll care if the media tells it wrong, heck, they haven't told the whole story of the sign, why would they tell the whole truth of the theft.

I'm so sick of our media...it's not "news" anymore, it's "showmanship".

Thank you for posting this. I was trying to find the actual salary information on American companies vs. Toyota and Honda without any luck.

So much disinformation gets repeated that it becomes implanted in everyone's mind. I thought it sounded wrong that assembly line workers were making $70+ an hour and I see that I was correct.

The $70 hour figure came from adding up all the pensions, health benefits, and salaries being paid for all past and present workers and then dividing that figure by the number of current workers.

If America had a single payer healthcare system, a lot of this cost would not exist. Because every other Western democracy in the world has a single payer system, our businesses are at a disadvantage. Toyota just recently located a plant in Canada because the healthcare costs are cheaper there.

I refuse to buy American cars,, they fall apart before you can get them paid for, and they stay in the repair shop all the time. I drive an 8 year old Toyota that just hums along and has never ever seen the inside of a repair shop. When America can produce a car equal to the Toyota for the same price then I will think about it.

Did ya ever wonder to yerself why the congresscritters had to pass a "lemon law"?

So then if the fucking government is going to use taxpayer money to quasi nationalize auto production why not do it all the way?

let's all petition the government to put the big three out of business, kick ALL foreign car companies the fuck out of the country and stop all imports. require everyone to pay a portion of their income, on a progressive scale of course, to the new National car co.

In return the government can give us all a cookie cutter shoebox on wheels. Everyone will get the same POS car so no one will ever be envious of anyone else. Our country will flourish and we will all be secure in the knowledge that the US car co will be in business forever and ever AMEN.

:lol:

Both of our cars are Fords. My Taurus is over 11 years old and we've never had a major problem. Yes, we had to have one of the windows fixed once and we've had to have the light in the car fixed twice, but I don't call that major and with every car you are going to have some problems sooner or later.

My husband has a Focus. It's a little over a year old and no problem whatsoever with it yet.

I have always bought American, whenever possible. I'm upset that the entire car isn't made in America even though it's a ford.

Windows are just the tip of the iceberg with the Alero's.

Glad to hear you got a good Taurus. We had one once, a Taurus SHO, I think it was a '89 model. I swear that car was in the shop more than we drove it and it was brand new. After the front wheels did a spread eagle while my wife was driving it one day, we got rid of it. Ford's have been off our list ever since.

Wow, interesting...ESPECIALLY this one:

I don't know folks.

$56,000 a year doesn't strike me as a whole lot of money for working on a production line.

If you've ever worked in a factory where your work flow was decided by a machine, you'd know that can be a damned hard job.

I drive a FORD.

I doubt I'll ever buy another foreign car.

I'd never buy another foreign made manufactured good if I could do it.

Sadly, thanks to our incredibly short sighted free trade policies, most of the consumer electronics, clothes, shoes, machines and tools are not longer made here, so that's not really an option.

Are you sure your Ford was made in Michigan/Ohio? Many fords are made in Mexico.

We have owned a few foreign cars, but for the most part we always purchase from the big three. I'm not going to lie, the best car we ever had was a all wheel drive Toyota wagon. When we buy GM I keep the trucks basic, no power locks, no power windows and no power seats. The controls don't last and it's not worth the hassle. My wife will not buy GM anymore for that reason. She likes her Jeeps.

We have owned a few foreign cars, but for the most part we always purchase from the big three. I'm not going to lie, the best car we ever had was a all wheel drive Toyota wagon. When we buy GM I keep the trucks basic, no power locks, no power windows and no power seats. The controls don't last and it's not worth the hassle. My wife will not buy GM anymore for that reason. She likes her Jeeps.

which is better: trailblazer, explorer, or durango?

i dont like any of them
i have a chevy blazer 4WD 2 Dr
they stopped making them :(
not sure what my next will be
i'm kinda pissed that chevy dropped the 2Dr SUV

They brought out the Colorado pickup and I took a look at them, but just didn't care much for it. The S10 was a small truck, but, add 4WD and the Vortec V6 to that puppy and you had a meaty little machine.

If I could justify driving one, I would rather have a Kodiak crew cab with the pickup back end. But, life today I would never use it as such, to justify that much of a truck. I almost purchased one some years back and I still kick myself for letting the guy sell me on a 2500 crew cab. He must have netted more on his commission. lol

You obviously didn't read the piece nor own American, but that said why is it conservative republicans like yourself hate (maybe too strong a word) American products and American workers? I've never understood that ideological stance given you're usually nationalistic to a fault when it comes to our country's actions and values?

I have been reading and re-reading that piece for about 2 weeks now.

Just because the Freep says it's so doesn't make it so. It's not like the Freep hasn't licked the hand that feeds it for years.

I've never owned a foreign made car or truck in my life, and don't plan to. I've always owned American, particularly GM, and I've had extremely good luck with them. I've owned many Chevy trucks, older ones, that I have beat the living holy hell out of and they kept right on running. Tough sons a bitchin' trucks if you ask me. I currently own a 1997 GMC truck that I totally over loaded and then pulled a tandem trailer with 10,000 pounds in it across the Rocky Mountains and it never burned a drop of oil with it's 350 Vortec engine. So you can't tell me American cars or trucks are POS, because they're not. Do foreign auto makers build a good vehicle? Sure. But the reason the US auto industry is in trouble is NOT due to it making shitty cars or trucks. It's because of the dumb ass policies this country has when it comes to trade. Get rid of NAFTA, FTAA, CAFTA, AFTA, and all the other shit that gives foreign entities a financial upper hand. Our government has been shitting on it's own people and industry for decades now, and it's not a republican, democrat thing. It's government. They're all fucking guilty. I'm almost to the point where I believe the government should give our big three some money, since it's the government's policies that helped get them in the position they're in.

Two of my best and most favorite trucks were straight 6 Chevy's with 3 on the column! They just wouldn't die, it didn't matter how hard or for how long you worked them.

Two of my best and most favorite trucks were straight 6 Chevy's with 3 on the column! They just wouldn't die, it didn't matter how hard or for how long you worked them.
Thats fun, what year are they?

We still have the 1971 dodge 4X4 I bought used when my son was two years old. Back in the day when it was all we had that would almost always stay running I would get cheap $20.00 to $50.00 or just get it out of my yard cars for the engines. The old pickup has had 6 different used engines in it over the years. The pickup has ran with motors from a 318 to a 440 and everything in between. Someone stole the carburator off of it a few years back so she just sits in the yard waiting for us to find her a new carb.

My wife has a Toyota RAV 4. Being born in Detroit, she checked out all the domestics first but couldn't find anything she liked with the exception of a Saturn Vue which she was considering until she saw its safety rating in Consumer Reports. She thinks the RAV is the best thing she's ever driven - absolutely loves it. Unfortunately, living in Michigan means someone has already keyed the side of it .:ahole-1:

I drive a RAM 1500, which I love.

My wife has a Toyota RAV 4. Being born in Detroit, she checked out all the domestics first but couldn't find anything she liked with the exception of a Saturn Vue which she was considering until she saw its safety rating in Consumer Reports. She thinks the RAV is the best thing she's ever driven - absolutely loves it. Unfortunately, living in Michigan means someone has already keyed the side of it .:ahole-1:

I drive a RAM 1500, which I love.

my my,, shame on those intolerant Michiganiteians they are butt holes aren't they... yep yep yep...

Forum List

Back