Business Owners/Managers take note

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hortysir, Apr 19, 2012.

1. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), an independent agency whose members are presidentially-appointed, has issued a number of changes to the rules governing union elections. The proposed new rules would substantially shorten the election period from the current median of 38 days to as little as 10 days. Such a short period would restrict an employer’s ability to discuss outstanding issues with its employees and deprive employees of adequate time to evaluate alternatives. Additionally, the new rules would allow for micro-bargaining units to form, permitting certain employees within a company or even teams within a business to organize. A number of the proposed changes are modeled after some of the key elements of the Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) – the “card check” bill that was defeated in Congress in 2007.
    These attempts to give employees inadequate time to consider union petitions. They represent an attempt to circumvent the will of the people’s representatives—Congress—by enacting new laws administratively. Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) recently introduced a resolution to prevent the NLRB from implementing the rule. Employees and employers would be better served by NLRB enforcing existing regulations instead of proposing new rules outside the scope of their congressionally-chartered mandate. Workers should be protected from outside pressures to organize and opposes any attempts to impose new rules governing union petitions modeled after the failed EFCA/“card check” bill.

The new NLRB rules are slated to go into effect on May 1, and Congress must act soon to block these regulations.

Senator Mike Enzi’s (R-WY) Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolution of disapproval is labeled S.J. Res 36

Please contact your Senators.

Congress.org – Get informed, get involved

This came across my desk today (proprietary information removed as per my "electronic communications" agreement).
    Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio have been notified of my disapproval.

::clap2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,460
    One more glaring example of Obama wiping his ass on the Constitution.

3. buckeye45_73

buckeye45_73 Lakhota's my *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,084
    Unions are awesome, look what they've dont to companies and cities like Detroit. it's a liberal paradise!

4. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,977
    Why is it "unconstitutional" for the NLRB to change their own rules?

5. buckeye45_73

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,084
    because they're doing things the legislature should be doing. executive orders and regulatory agencies shouldn't be just passing crap that congress wont touch. There is a reason congress wont touch it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    They represent an attempt to circumvent the will of the people’s representatives—Congress—by enacting new laws administratively.

That is ok?

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,977
    It's not a "new" law. It's a "new" NLRB regulation. Union elections are completely within the jurisdiction of the NLRB.

That's what they're there for.

8. buckeye45_73

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,084
    OK if true, why did they go after card check?

9. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Oh, I see.........

"LAW": Passed by Congress, enforced (sometimes). Punishable by a fine and/or jail.

"REGULATION: Passed by....no one, just mandated by an unelected group of buearocrats, enforced (sometimes). Punishable by a fine. IF the fine is not paid, a contempt of court charge is possible, which could lead to jail. Or a civil lien.

SO, passsing a LAW takes away some bit of freedom. Passing a "regulation" just....mandates away some freedom. I get it.

10. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    Its a lousy idea, whoever came up with it. One has to wonder why its even in play?