Bush lawyers (including Yoo) are more or less "cleared."

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
The witch-hunt appears to be over -- at least on this front.

Newsweak reports:
Posted Friday, February 19, 2010 8:16 PM

Report: Bush Lawyer Said President Could Order Civilians to Be 'Massacred'

Michael Isikoff

The chief author of the Bush administration's "torture memo" told Justice Department investigators that the president's war-making authority was so broad that he had the constitutional power to order a village to be "massacred," according to a report by released Friday night by the Office of Professional Responsibility.

The views of former Justice lawyer John Yoo were deemed to be so extreme and out of step with legal precedents that they prompted the Justice Department's internal watchdog office to conclude last year that he committed "intentional professional misconduct" when he advised the CIA it could proceed with waterboarding and other aggressive interrogation techniques against Al Qaeda suspects.

The report by OPR concludes that Yoo, now a Berkeley law professor, and his boss at the time, Jay Bybee, now a federal judge, should be referred to their state bar associations for possible disciplinary proceedings. But, as first reported by NEWSWEEK, another senior department lawyer, David Margolis, reviewed the report and last month overruled its findings on the grounds that there was no clear and "unambiguous" standard by which OPR was judging the lawyers. Instead, Margolis, who was the final decision-maker in the inquiry, found that they were guilty of only "poor judgment."

Report: Bush Lawyer Said President Could Order Civilians to Be 'Massacred' - Declassified Blog - Newsweek.com

About damn time. The fuckers may disagree with what the "memos" contended and, in disagreeing, they may even be in the right. (I certainly take issue with this part: "The chief author of the Bush administration's "torture memo" told Justice Department investigators that the president's war-making authority was so broad that he had the constitutional power to order a village to be "massacred * * * "). But to argue that they deserve to even arguably be professionally disciplined over what amounts to a LEGAL OPINION [and a sharp disagreement as to that opinion] is to undermine the foundation of professional advocacy and the rendering OF legal opinions. The "investigation" into whether the lawyers should be "disciplined" was, from jump street, totally political in the worst form of unduly partisan bullshit, and utterly absurd.

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

The chief author of the Bush administration's "torture memo" told Justice Department investigators that the president's war-making authority was so broad that he had the constitutional power to order a village to be "massacred," according to a report by released Friday night by the Office of Professional Responsibility.

The views of former Justice lawyer John Yoo were deemed to be so extreme and out of step with legal precedents that they prompted the Justice Department's internal watchdog office to conclude last year that he committed "intentional professional misconduct" when he advised the CIA it could proceed with waterboarding and other aggressive interrogation techniques against Al Qaeda suspects.

The report by OPR concludes that Yoo, now a Berkeley law professor, and his boss at the time, Jay Bybee, now a federal judge, should be referred to their state bar associations for possible disciplinary proceedings. But, as first reported by NEWSWEEK, another senior department lawyer, David Margolis, reviewed the report and last month overruled its findings on the grounds that there was no clear and "unambiguous" standard by which OPR was judging the lawyers. Instead, Margolis, who was the final decision-maker in the inquiry, found that they were guilty of only "poor judgment."

Report: Bush Lawyer Said President Could Order Civilians to Be 'Massacred' - Declassified Blog - Newsweek.com

About damn time. The fuckers may disagree with what the "memos" contended and, in disagreeing, they may even be in the right. (I certainly take issue with this part: "The chief author of the Bush administration's "torture memo" told Justice Department investigators that the president's war-making authority was so broad that he had the constitutional power to order a village to be "massacred * * * "). But to argue that they deserve to even arguably be professionally disciplined over what amounts to a LEGAL OPINION [and a sharp disagreement as to that opinion] is to undermine the foundation of professional advocacy and the rendering OF legal opinions. The "investigation" into whether the lawyers should be "disciplined" was, from jump street, totally political in the worst form of unduly partisan bullshit, and utterly absurd.

Thanks for an unbiased non-parisan opinion, of an opinion. Too bad your bull shit detector is in the off position each time you post; don't worry though, the smell works its way over the internet for all to smell, even if you lack the sense to get it.

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

Thanks for an unbiased non-parisan opinion, of an opinion. Too bad your bull shit detector is in the off position each time you post; don't worry though, the smell works its way over the internet for all to smell, even if you lack the sense to get it.

Hey fly catcher! Speaking of shit, you are exactly like a pile of freshly made dog shit. You DO attract flies.

Anyway, wading through that gibberish you just posted, it appears that you have added your mere opinion to my expressed opinion of some leftist political opinion.

But you objected to offering opinions. :cuckoo:

You are a special kind of shit. In this latest example, you have again established that you are a complete dipshit! :clap2:

Newsweak reports:

Hey fly catcher! Speaking of shit, you are exactly like a pile of freshly made dog shit. You DO attract flies.

Anyway, wading through that gibberish you just posted, it appears that you have added your mere opinion to my expressed opinion of some leftist political opinion.

You are a special kind of shit. In this latest example, you have again established that you are a complete dipshit! :clap2:
x1

And you're a punk and a coward. Bet if we met 1x1 you'd piss your pants. I suspect you've got some experience doing that too.

x1

And you're a punk and a coward. Bet if we met 1x1 you'd piss your pants. I suspect you've got some experience doing that too.

You are a loser, a pussy and a coward in all languages, asslicker.

Go fuck a rat, you cockgobbler.

If we met, you'd be pissing blood, you puss.

So really, just go fuck off.

:lol::lol:

FDR routinly allowed entire cities to be fire bombed.

Truman nuked a few.

And they are worried about villages?

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

Nice find. And if you don't mind? This topic is about to migrate to another place. Yeoman's work there Liability. [Full credit to YOU of course].

~T

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

Laugh my balls off.............this coming from a guy who predicted on another political forum 4 years ago that the chances of Bush being impeached was "100%"!!!!. Said both Bush and Cheney would be in jail too!!!

All the k000ks said that.........for years!! And every time, I laughed my balls off!!! For years the 21%ers were putting it on a tee for me..............AND THEY STILL ARE!!!:lol::lol:

Last edited:

x1

You are a loser, a pussy and a coward in all languages, asslicker.

Go fuck a rat, you cockgobbler.

If we met, you'd be pissing blood, you puss.

So really, just go fuck off.

:lol::lol:

",,,fuck a rat, you cockgobbler" Now that's funny; your way with words is so bush like - my guess is I reminded you of the times you got chased home from school and shit your pants on the way. Sad times, I'm suppose.

Newsweak reports:

Laugh my balls off.............this coming from a guy who predicted on another political forum 4 years ago that the chances of Bush being impeached was "100%"!!!!. Said both Bush and Cheney would be in jail too!!!

All the k000ks said that.........for years!! And every time, I laughed my balls off!!! For years the 21%ers were putting it on a tee for me..............AND THEY STILL ARE!!!:lol::lol:

Not me kook; I don't make political predictions. And you know that, and we both know you're a liar.

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

This should warm the heart of a statist like you...your beloved government has the authority to commit genocide.

If only you had a heart...

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

This should warm the heart of a statist like you...your beloved government has the authority to commit genocide.

If only you had a heart...

Another in your endless, stupid, pointless lies.

I wonder if you could ever make an argument without reliance on lies? It appears unlikely.

First of all, as you already know, I am not a Statist. I stand opposed to Statists and Statism. This is why I oppose the bullshit you spew. Indeed, the truth is that YOU are the Statist. Yep. Tis true. Too bad you don't seem to understand the meaning of the term or how it applies to you. You appear not to even grasp the import of your own miserably ignorant political philosophy.

Secondly, that part of the Yoo memo, as paraphrased in the quote I offered in the OP, is the very thing I contested in the OP. there may be a kernel of truth to it despite the fact that it is repugnant, but I disputed it before and I dispute it now.

Thirdly, you remain pointless.

If you only had a brain. And integrity. You could use a hefty dose of that, too.

as much as I hated bush, the idea that lawyers could be punished in any way for giving legitimate legal advice and opinions is pure bullshit and ridiculous. it was a really sad showing that the anti-war, crazy crowd starting going after lawyers who were just doing their job. if they didn't like the rulings then maybe they should fight for amendments instead.

Newsweak reports:

Michael Isikoff

he is correct and once again you show your lack of brain power

x1

did you seriously bust out some internet tough guy rant in attempt to mute his point? wow....

as much as I hated bush, the idea that lawyers could be punished in any way for giving legitimate legal advice and opinions is pure bullshit and ridiculous. it was a really sad showing that the anti-war, crazy crowd starting going after lawyers who were just doing their job. if they didn't like the rulings then maybe they should fight for amendments instead.

i'm not sure what the appropriate "punishment" is, but there wasn't any legitimate advice given. the first finding was correct; the statement of the reviewing party was more politically expedient.

It's a pretty sad day when you're got people cheering that war criminals will get away with their crimes.

Forum List

Back