Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
Is any of this familiar, and are Hollywood's classic and spaghetti westerns horribly romanticized or are they fairly accurate?

If a characterization could be made of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, it would be the white man's constant thirst for land and how the Indian suffered terribly from it. To slake this thirst, the white settlers had treaties. Most treaties with the Indians provided them with food, ammunition, and the promise by the whites not to trespass onto the land that was left after the whites were done partitioning it up. The problem with these treaties was that they were never upheld. The food and ammunition never arrived, and the Indians' remaining land was always trodded and settled upon by the gold or land-hungry whites.

When a band of Indians would not learn after the United States government had told them to, the soldiers came to mercilessly kill them. Not only did the soldiers exterminate the Indians, but the women and children Indians were killed also. Often, the Indians' genitalia was removed by the raiding soldiers and used as show pieces to make a mockery of them. The soldiers had absolutely no compassion for the Indians, because their motto was: "The more Indians we kill today the less we have to kill tomorrow". These shocking details are even more shocking when you think that this was the United States of America, the great upholder of democracy and of peoples' rights, committing these atrocities.

Teach: Then I guess, one mightn't be so shocked of what we did in Vietnam, if they are: Aware of our relations with the Indians.

Even when the Indians were captured or they capitulated, conditions were no better for them. If they received food at all, it was usually thrown to them raw and cold onto the ground. One time dozens of Indians were locked in a barracks, with no food or water, during an icy blizzard with no heat for five days. It was a miracle that most of them survived those five days. These conditions are comparable to the Nazi concentration camps of World War II.

The Fetterman massacre is more justly named, so than the Sand Creek Massacre, because every American soldier that was ambushed was killed. Of course, more Indians were killed at the Sand Creek massacre, but that is only a small portion of the Indians that were there. If the soldiers had tried hard at all, they could have killed all the Indians at Sand Creek. Although, the Indians would have killed 500 soldiers, if the Indians could have drawn that many out of the fort.

Teach: Your ideas are confusing here, what -- your point.

The only reason the Indians couldn't attack an American metropolis is because they had no access to any large communities, without being noticed by American troops. Consequently, the Indians had to attack small processions of Americans traveling to the West or once in awhile, they could ambush a large group of soldiers like at the Fetterman Massacre. This is the only instance that Indians killing American soldiers could be called a massacre. On the other hand, American soldiers had very little difficulty in exterminating Indians, because they tended to band together into large groups and could be isolated into selected areas.

Though in general when the whites called a military failure of theirs a massacre, the soldiers had started the skirmish, and the Indians had a perfect right to fight back and kill them. The whites were always too quick to call this sort of thing a massacre.

Today Indians are still suffering from untold miseries. The Americans did not learn from their endless amount of wrong-doings toward the Indians. The book, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, is a long awaited hope for the Indians, because people are going to start treating the Indians better after finding out what happens in this book.

Critique of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (10-25-77)

Class: Ethnic Studies

Grade: A-

Last edited:
Is any of this familiar, and are Hollywood's classic and spaghetti westerns horribly romanticized or are they fairly accurate?

If a characterization could be made of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, it would be the white man's constant thirst for land and how the Indian suffered terribly from it. To slake this thirst, the white settlers had treaties. Most treaties with the Indians provided them with food, ammunition, and the promise by the whites not to trespass onto the land that was left after the whites were done partitioning it up. The problem with these treaties was that they were never upheld. The food and ammunition never arrived, and the Indians' remaining land was always trodded and settled upon by the gold or land-hungry whites.

When a band of Indians would not learn after the United States government had told them to, the soldiers came to mercilessly kill them. Not only did the soldiers exterminate the Indians, but the women and children Indians were killed also. Often, the Indians' genitalia was removed by the raiding soldiers and used as show pieces to make a mockery of them. The soldiers had absolutely no compassion for the Indians, because their motto was: "The more Indians we kill today the less we have to kill tomorrow". These shocking details are even more shocking when you think that this was the United States of America, the great upholder of democracy and of peoples' rights, committing these atrocities.

Teach: Then I guess, one mightn't be so shocked of what we did in Vietnam, if they are: Aware of our relations with the Indians.

Even when the Indians were captured or they capitulated, conditions were no better for them. If they received food at all, it was usually thrown to them raw and cold onto the ground. One time dozens of Indians were locked in a barracks, with no food or water, during an icy blizzard with no heat for five days. It was a miracle that most of them survived those five days. These conditions are comparable to the Nazi concentration camps of World War II.

The Fetterman massacre is more justly named, so than the Sand Creek Massacre, because every American soldier that was ambushed was killed. Of course, more Indians were killed at the Sand Creek massacre, but that is only a small portion of the Indians that were there. If the soldiers had tried hard at all, they could have killed all the Indians at Sand Creek. Although, the Indians would have killed 500 soldiers, if the Indians could have drawn that many out of the fort.

The only reason the Indians couldn't attack an American metropolis is because they had no access to any large communities, without being noticed by American troops. Consequently, the Indians had to attack small processions of Americans traveling to the West or once in awhile, they could ambush a large group of soldiers like at the Fetterman Massacre. This is the only instance that Indians killing American soldiers could be called a massacre. On the other hand, American soldiers had very little difficulty in exterminating Indians, because they tended to band together into large groups and could be isolated into selected areas.

Though in general when the whites called a military failure of theirs a massacre, the soldiers had started the skirmish, and the Indians had a perfect right to fight back and kill them. The whites were always too quick to call this sort of thing a massacre.

Today Indians are still suffering from untold miseries. The Americans did not learn from their endless amount of wrong-doings toward the Indians. The book, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, is a long awaited hope for the Indians, because people are going to start treating the Indians better after finding out what happens in this book.

I read that book about 30 - 40 years ago, and hated every page. It was a 900 page indictment I felt I HAD to read. Accurate to a fault as far as I can tell. Somewhere, back in the mists of time, the white race branded itself superior, I have no idea why.

But it would be remiss of you to overlook a historian name of Allan Eckert who wrote a series of rt

I read that book over 30 years ago and hated every page. It felt like a 900 page indictment I HAD to read that became the first spot of tarnish on my beloved country's shining armor. But Wounded Knee is the end of the story, and about western Indians. You would be remiss to ignore the Allan Eckert series about the eastern Indians beginning just before the European invasion and continuing thru the French and Indian wars. Those natives could be real nasty too. It was a rocky relationship from the gitgo, with some binding friendships here and raging hatreds there. If you loved/hated "Bury My Heart.." the Eckert series is red meat for your hunger of history. The two books out of the five I remember best are "The Conquerers" and "The Wilderness". Sorry I can't remember the sequence of the series. And an additional plus is the extensive notes identifying current names and descriptions of sites. I hope you will check it out...for your own enjoyment, if that's what one can call the uncertainty of those days.

I too own the book when released in the latter 1970's...I have read it twice and still can't fathom the acts of inhumanity...

The natives are getting their revenge, in the form of hispanic immigration. Many of those hispanics have native blood.

Most books written by various Native Americans are simply long laments about how the Europeans ("whites") came, took their land, moved them onto desert reservations, and now they themselves have nothing, and they miss the good old times when the buffalo roamed before the whites arrived.

The US Cavalry performed numerous genocides, but the main killer of the Natives was smallpox. They died from it by the millions. They had no natural immunity like whites did.

If ever a race was doomed from the start biologically it was the Native Americans.

I have read too many doom and gloom guilt books written by Native Americans to buy or read "Bury My Heart ...".

Not even interested.

Cry me a river.

Most books written by various Native Americans are simply long laments about how the Europeans ("whites") came, took their land, moved them onto desert reservations, and now they themselves have nothing, and they miss the good old times when the buffalo roamed before the whites arrived.

The US Cavalry performed numerous genocides, but the main killer of the Natives was smallpox. They died from it by the millions. They had no natural immunity like whites did.

If ever a race was doomed from the start biologically it was the Native Americans.

I have read too many doom and gloom guilt books written by Native Americans to buy or read "Bury My Heart ...".

Not even interested.

Cry me a river.

Can't handle it huh?

Well we can't all be courageous. :itsok:

Not even interested.

Cry me a river.
Did you ever ask where the smallpox came from, yiostheoy? Were the generation we are discussing any different than today's Americans who constantly bemoan loss of the 'good old days' they want to go back to? Would they have voted for a 'deportation' candidate if one promised to ship all immigrants back to Europe?

Forum List

Back