Bundling threads

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by MaggieMae, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Sorry, guys, but I don't think it's fair to bundle all threads started regarding Osama bin Gotten into what's already 1300+ strong. I for one don't have time to plow through all of those, nor would I want to. For one thing, there are going to be many aspects to this operation that will unfold in the next few days, and they deserve SEPARATE threads. If some are obviously similar, that's a different story.

Same thing with bundling everything regarding Trump. I mean, seriously? What on earth is the point? I may want to post something about his stone face at the Correspondents' Dinner the other night, but for anyone to join in THAT discussion (just as an example), they'd never find it.

What you're doing lately is making it like a comment section for an online newspaper article, where people normally only weigh in once. This is supposed to be a FORUM.

I hope you keep this comment HERE, because it's my "feedback" and posted in the appropriate place.

Thank you.
    Maggie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-trump-was-hysterical-and-well-delivered.html

Having 100 or more threads on the same essential topic is clutter. When such threads are merged, it's based on housekeeping only. Same thing would happen with other big events, such as if the shuttle crashed again, or whatever.

There might be alot of folks who want to talk about other topics, they would have to wade through the 100 or more clutter threads to see if their topic already has a thread on it.

3. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I found a place to make whatever comments I have today, but I won't go to a bundler thread. They're extremely difficult to follow, wind up being filled with tit-for-tats among two people for page after page, and the epitome of "clutter," in my opinion.

As for the Trump link you posted, I didn't even go looking for an existing thread. I just assumed any comments on the dinner Saturday night would have been merged. So see? That happens, too. But thanks for posting the link.

4. Vast LWC

Vast LWC <-Mohammed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +871
    LOL, you combine all the threads into one (which was well done), but then you put this as the opening post?

DOH.

5. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    We can't control the timestamps. When multiple threads are merged, the earliest ones go to the top.

6. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    take a midol and confine your commentary on board management to PMs, or in your case, PMS.

it's a messageboard, not the tomb of the unknown soldier.- del

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,379
    Believe me its tough having to agree with Maggie who has over the months described me with a lot of choice ugly adjectives. :) But alas I do.

1. I can appreciate not wanting 100 different threads on the same topic.

2. I agree that it is extremely difficult to have any kind of coherent discussion when those threads are merged indiscriminately without consideration for the different emphasis re the topic. A discussion on how the mission affects national security is quite different from a discussion on whether Obama is a hero or arrogant credit taker.

3. And I would repectfully like to request that at least two merged threads be allowed: One headed by positive comments re the topic: i.e. Obama should be commended for mission accomplished. And one headed by negative comment.

Much appreciation and thanks for the time and effort our faithful mods bring to the process.

Just suggestions for one way to make the board a bit more useful and satisfying, I think.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    The merged thread in Politics had about 1,100 replies when this thread was first posted. It has well over 1,400 now. It is humming along just fine.

It just is what it is, there are other threads on this topic exploring other avenues of the event, in other forums. The Politics forum will have only one.

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,379
    Okie dokie.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Doesn't really matter. I'm about sick of having countless threads on one topic just because one dork thinks his/her idea of "political satire" is better than the rest.

Here's a quick rundown:

Osama is dead.

No, Obama didn't kill Osama.

Just because you can't touch the dead body does not mean he's not dead.

AND ... it really doesn't matter WHERE Obama was born since he hasn't had to provide a birth certificate and a court ruled in his favor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.