Bug Out Bag

We live in Florida and have to worry about hurricanes---we were thinking a small RV---that could work in a number of emergency scenerios.

Bugging out in a small RV is a great idea. It lets you be mobile, with shelter, and able to carry more.

When I worked in Florida back in '04, there were a string of hurricanes. So everyone was talking about Hurricane Preparedness plans. Mine was simple. I kept a full tank of gas.

Okay, bug out bag is ready to go. Did I over pack maybe?

iu

It's kind of funny that a lot of people think they're just going to plant seed in their yard and have all kinds of crops in the morning or something. lol

A lot of people think that ... a lot of people are wrong ... they will be composted and used by those who actually know how to grow and preserve food.

A lot of people think that ... a lot of people are wrong ... they will be composted and used by those who actually know how to grow and preserve food.
Yup! - Harvest time usually only comes once a year, unless you have a large greenhouse & lots of resources to alter heat, light, moisture & fertilizer.

Yup! - Harvest time usually only comes once a year, unless you have a large greenhouse & lots of resources to alter heat, light, moisture & fertilizer.

Assuming SHTF isn't a serious environmental disaster (meteor or super volcano) that significantly shortens growing seasons, temperate and warmer zones can produce two wheat crops a year, two corn crops (Brazil apparently has three), salad greens almost year around.

That kind of double cropping takes a lot of fertilizer ... hence composting the city-dwellers will be necessary.

Crops can be divided in Fall crops/Winter Crops but most grow in the spring.

1. Solar power lamps that you use outside…

They make great lights at night.

2. 33 gallon black trash bags ( roll )…

Make great a poncho and can help make a water proof spot.

3. Fishing line and hooks…

You can find a stick to fish with.

4. Good Knife, Hatchet, and Mini Shovel.

5. Shotgun and shells.

6. Nature Valley Peanut Butter Biscuits.

7. Something to purify water with.

8. Two way radios or portable CB radio.

Last edited:
Assuming SHTF isn't a serious environmental disaster (meteor or super volcano) that significantly shortens growing seasons, temperate and warmer zones can produce two wheat crops a year, two corn crops (Brazil apparently has three), salad greens almost year around.

That kind of double cropping takes a lot of fertilizer ... hence composting the city-dwellers will be necessary.
Have to transport all those heavy assed city-dwellers to Brazil & there ain't no roads between here & there.

Have to transport all those heavy city-dwellers to Brazil & there ain't no roads between here & there.

The roads will be littered with them ... just pry their fat arses out of their broken down SUVs along the highways.

I'm putting together a bug out, emergency bag just in case of a natural disaster especially after watching the fire that tore through Boulder County recently. I have a three day 40L molle assault bag with compartment for a hydration bag, I have a 3 liter one. This will be primarily for getting to a disaster center not for survival out in a forest or desert. I've already done a personal physical assessment and in a real SHTF scenario I'm most likely dead so it would be a stay in place bag.
Priority
1: Water
2: Warmth and light shelter (multi use poncho works best), emergency (mylar) blankets.
3: Food, high energy bars are light and take up little space.
4: Fire, I have a ferro rod and waterproof matches.
5: Self defense weapon(s)
6: Personal hygiene including at least 3 days worth of medications, a weeks worth would be better.
7: Clothing
8: First aid kit, I also have a compact trauma kit.
9: Multi functional tools (Leatherman, Swiss Army knife, etc).
10: Vital documents These can be on a flash drive and/or have hard copies.
I have way more than that in mine.

You don't need ferro rods or matches. That's all a scam. Any Bic or Zippo lighter will do.

I keep my hard copy vital documents in a fireproof envelope I got from Amazon.

You will want to add some line (rope) and string to your kit. Along with carabiners and some tarp.

Also, playing cards. You will need some entertainment during the zombie apocalypse.

Do you have an Israeli battle dressing in your trauma kit? Also, painkillers.

I can't remember what else I have in mine. I'll check back in later.

Forum List

Back