Bryant Gumbel dropping the hammer on Auburn tonight

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
Real Sports will feature a story on pay for play in the college football world, with 4 former Auburn players blowing the whistle on Auburn, LSU, and Ohio State.

The allegations against Auburn are particularly damning, and in light of the Cam Newton investigation (still open, btw), and Alabama's gambling corruption investigation (involving several Auburn boosters), the Auburn folks are sweating bullets.

Auburn has already launched an internal investigation and the show hasn't even aired.

Auburn, LSU and SEC have notified NCAA over claims former players got money from boosters | al.com

Real Sports will feature a story on pay for play in the college football world, with 4 former Auburn players blowing the whistle on Auburn, LSU, and Ohio State.

The allegations against Auburn are particularly damning, and in light of the Cam Newton investigation (still open, btw), and Alabama's gambling corruption investigation (involving several Auburn boosters), the Auburn folks are sweating bullets.

Auburn has already launched an internal investigation and the show hasn't even aired.

Auburn, LSU and SEC have notified NCAA over claims former players got money from boosters | al.com

The whole Newton thing is so silly. From what I recall, the NCAA said that since Auburn hooked up (or at least attempted to) his Father and Pops didn't tell his son, it was okay? And the NCAA believes that the his father didn't mention this to Cam?

The whole Newton thing is so silly. From what I recall, the NCAA said that since Auburn hooked up (or at least attempted to) his Father and Pops didn't tell his son, it was okay? And the NCAA believes that the his father didn't mention this to Cam?

Yeah, that's the gist of it. That Cam wasn't aware that his dad was asking for money...yet there supposedly are tapes of Cam telling MSU he was going to Auburn because "the money was too much."And Tennessee and Mississippi State were off the hook because he did not accept an offer to go there after his father had asked for money.

It sets a sort of dangerous precedent. A parent could theoretically put the word out there that "My son is going to go to School X unless one of you other ones comes up with a lot of money, and a way to keep it hidden."

I still think they will wind up exposing the Newton story, but probably years from now like they did with Bush and USC.

I didn't see anything about tOSU at the link but I'm well aware of past problems.

I'm a big Buckeye fan but I want them to win clean (and get fairly punished for any wrongs). Also, fwiw, if the NFL and it's players don't pull their heads out of their butts soon then college ball may be all we have next season. :eek:

OMG this is just terrible! This means that some other team will win the National Title game next year!

What are we gonna' do? :eek:

Rag,
All that was mentioned of OSU was McClover's statement that he received about $1000 on his visit, and most (all?) of that in the $100 handshakes.

I don't think anything comes of this for OSU, I don't even think it gets mentioned. Tressel is the focus there now, and I don't think McClover is even a concern in that regard.

On the other hand, Auburn has already lawyered up.

Forum List

Back