Rauner: Curb income tax hike, widen sales tax - chicagotribune.com

What a worthless SOB. Here is what he preached:
(1) End the income tax increase
(2) Lower Property Taxes
(3) Establish term limits
(4) Cut Government spending
(5) No other new taxes
(6) The Push for Charter Schools

First, I want to point out the IL Assembly voted to roll back the tax increase to 3.75 (not the 3.00, but it's better than 5%). Yep this SOB wants to come into office and extend the so-called temporary increase to 5% for 4 more years. He said he wasn't a politician, but an independent businessman. He proved to be a politician and a liar.

He is not going to win this election now, so I will vote for who I want to vote for!

I don't understand your problem with the guy. He wants to phase out the income tax and phase in a sales tax. This will broaden the tax base.

Income taxes are a tax on production. Sales taxes are a tax on consumption, and therefore preferable.

I don't understand your problem with the guy. He wants to phase out the income tax and phase in a sales tax. This will broaden the tax base.

The temporary tax increase was supposed to run until the end of the year. Gov Quinn seeked to extend it for 4 more years. BIPARTISAN, mostly lead by Democrats, defeated the extention and it is getting rolled back to 3.75% (not as good as 3%, but still good).

Rauner ran on getting it back to 3% day one. Now he is talking about getting the 5% extended another 4 yrs. He is a liar! In addition he talked about the need to lower the property taxes, which are close to the highest in the country. Yet now he takes only about a freeze. OK again better than nothing, but still a lie from what he campaigned on.

HOWEVER, he is now talking about expanding the sales tax to as "attorneys, chartered flights, trailer parks, golf club membership fees and armored car services." Rauner: Freeze property taxes, cut income tax, create service tax | Early & Often

Now I am all for a consumption aka fair tax, but only as a replacement tax. Meaning replace other taxes with a consumption tax. That is not his plan. Also a sales tax on attorney fees? Come on now. That is going to tough pill to swallow.

He is running as a Gov Quinn Lite. Quinn and the Democrat's policies are what has sunk IL. I don't like the guy, he is not going to change Springfield and want to see him fall!

Income taxes are a tax on production. Sales taxes are a tax on consumption, and therefore preferable.

I would be OK with an increase in the sales tax, but not if he wants to increase the income tax also.

NOTE: IL is already at a 9.5% sales tax and a 12% for prepared foods (in Cook County at least). What does Rauner want to take it to?

Rauner has probably bumped up against some hard realities. Illinois has a gigantic public pension funding problem. That is the biggest driver behind some of the tax increases.

Lowering taxes just isn't going to be an option for Illinois for a very long time. Rauner has probably been learning this lately.

Forum List

Back