Briton in USA- Need help please

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by andrewjk, Sep 12, 2011.

1. andrewjk

andrewjk Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a British citizen and currently in residing in Colorado. I am here using an ESTA which is a waiver which means I can stay here for 90 days without a visa. The problem is I want to stay in the USA and settle, as I have started dating an American, but am having problems getting a Visa either to work or remain here simply living off my funds.

Can anyone give me advice on which visas I could be eligible for please and can I do it in the USA or would I have to fly back to England?

Thanks in advance

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    You can talk to a lawyer for 150 who will tell you all you need to know. US Immigration law is very very very complicated. And the department that you will be dealing with looks with a great deal of disdain at folks who immigrate for love.

If you have a visa as a dependent of a US citizen, you can work. (That is, as a spouse.) They generally are very fussy about these visas, so pregnancy is your best option there. Of course, with the US jobs situation (about 20% real unemployment) and very hot feelings toward immigrants these days actually getting the job even with the visa will be hard. So pregnancy is a very bad idea. If you don't have insurance, the delivery costs $9,000 or so.

Again, spend the money on a lawyer. The law here is such a minefield that depending on a newsgroup poster will get you deported and PNGd forever.

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,483
    The immigration rules and regs have had rapidly moving goal posts ever since 9/11, Andrew, so I'm nowhere near as up on it as I used to be.

I know that an ESTA could not be extended in the past, but the rules re ESTAs have also changed and I don't know whether that is still the cast. The ESTA website is here and might help. There is a lot of information when you click on the HELP link just under the first graphic:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta....89BA889_k77ACE464-526E-595C-1933-811120E4C846

And excellent information here:
    Frequently Asked Questions about the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) - CBP.gov

If you could obtain a Visa, I know those are extendable under certain circumstances, and it might be worth your while to see if you can get one. The rules used to be pretty tight on that too, though, and it was tough to get a Visa unless you were in your home country with demonstratable ties there and generally a paying job. (This was so you wouldn't be tempted to stay here. :))

Some other information here:

Practical travel information on Visas in USA - Lonely Planet Travel Information

I didn't see anything that specifically dealt with extensions or expiration of an ESTA though it did seem to be valid for 2 years, not 90 days? Don't take my word for that though. Verify through a credible source and preferably get it in writing.

And if you do want to stay here permanently, here's where you start working on getting your green card:

USCIS - Green Card

Your best bet is to check with your Embassy or our Embassy or Immigration Services or some such. The British Consulate in DC is a good place to start though:

British Consulate
    3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20008
    (202) 588 6500
    Our embassy

4. Uncensored2008

Uncensored2008 Libertarian Radical Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,788
    Are you a Muslim?

If so, you're in!

Are you college educated? If so, you have no chance.

Sorry, uneducated and radical is the way we like our immigrants.

5. Angelhair

Angelhair Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Listen to uncensored2008. Let's not forget poor so that they can live off the american taxpayer.

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Why not just marry your sig other?
    Wouldn't that guarantee you an "in"?

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,483
    Give the poor guy a break. He only has 90 days. Mr. Foxfyre and I were engaged within the first 90 days, but it took a whole six months to get to the wedding.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yea. Leave. We have don't have enough jobs to be taking in Brits. TIA

9. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,501
    Fly to DC and grab a cab to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I hear there is someone there that can fix you up with a fake birth certificate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Actually, no. There has been enough abuse that They crack down on it and it is not an automatic in.